Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
2003 19' Bambi
anywhere , Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9
Life's a beach

I'd like to take my 19' 2003 Bambi to the beach and camp on the sand. I've seen what some of the Bambis that come from ocean states, like Florida, look like after a while, and I'm hesitant to spend time on the beach. I'd hate to have Bambi start to rust and corrode (can't spell that word). Any suggestions on beach living and how to clean it after my stay? Should I just avoid the ocean all together? Thanks, rd
__________________

__________________
russell d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by russell d
I'd like to take my 19' 2003 Bambi to the beach and camp on the sand. I've seen what some of the Bambis that come from ocean states, like Florida, look like after a while, and I'm hesitant to spend time on the beach. I'd hate to have Bambi start to rust and corrode (can't spell that word). Any suggestions on beach living and how to clean it after my stay? Should I just avoid the ocean all together? Thanks, rd
Unless you get splashed by the salty surf, you should not have any problems. Short term exposre does not hurt a vehicle. I've camped on teh beach several weeks a year, and never had as much as a trace of a problem with neither the Suburban nor the trailer.

Camping beaches that I know of are in Baja California, Pismo Beach, and Galveston, TX.
__________________

__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,124
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
I would think you would get alot of salt from the roads in the winter in Colorado as well. Same rules apply, wash the trailer when you get home...
__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master<br><img src="/ugala/forums/images/5rivet.gif">
 
CanoeStream's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 13,279
Images: 19
Blog Entries: 3
Dry sand above the high tide line seems like an Airstream trap to me. Are you intending to actually drive out on the sand? I speak from some experience with Texas' Padre Island, etc. Anywhere near Corpus Christi and Rockport (Port Aransas/Mustang Island) will have a lot of tar pellets on the beach from offshore oil wells. It gets on everything -- feet, sandals, floor coverings.
__________________
Bob

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
New Member
 
2004 19' International CCD
Hermosa Beach , California
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Unless you get splashed by the salty surf, you should not have any problems. Short term exposre does not hurt a vehicle. I've camped on teh beach several weeks a year, and never had as much as a trace of a problem with neither the Suburban nor the trailer.

Camping beaches that I know of are in Baja California, Pismo Beach, and Galveston, TX.

Any problems towing an Airstream into and out of the sand? I have an FJ Cruiser pulling a 19' international...I KNOW the FJ can get thourhg the sand...but I'm unsure about trying to tow the 'Stream....

gb3
__________________
gb3.and.Bine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose
 
thecatsandi's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,754
That should nto be aproble. If you have any doubts take it to a truck wash and have the top and bottom rinsed.
__________________
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb3.and.Bine
Any problems towing an Airstream into and out of the sand? I have an FJ Cruiser pulling a 19' international...I KNOW the FJ can get thourhg the sand...but I'm unsure about trying to tow the 'Stream....

gb3
You can do it, but don't do it unless there's a second vehicle that can help you get unstuck.
Whenever we drive out on the softer sand, we air down the tires to about 15lbs of pressure, truck and trailer. Then, go as straight lined as possible. If you have to steer and maneuver much, forget it. Make mild turns, and use the throttle sparingly. Walk the spot first, always, and make a plan. We camp in the desert from time to time, as well as on the beach. It's great fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3976.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	47982   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3986.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	528.4 KB
ID:	47983  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4912.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	542.3 KB
ID:	47984  
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #8
Shop Teacher
 
mike rogers's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
tigard , Oregon
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 75
Bolsa Chica in Orange County is a nice place to go and no need to park on the sand but it is outside the door. Watch for fires!
__________________
mike rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
dmreilly10000's Avatar
 
1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 1953 25' Cruiser
Posts: 324
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
We camp in the desert from time to time, as well as on the beach. It's great fun!
WOW, your '63 Overlander is beautiful.
__________________
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #10
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rogers
Bolsa Chica in Orange County is a nice place to go and no need to park on the sand but it is outside the door. Watch for fires!
We're supposed to camp there this weekend. I am hoping for some fresh sea air, which would be a great change of climate from the smoke aand ash filled air at my house.
__________________

__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mid Atlantic beach in the brochure... boondockdad Boondocking 20 10-10-2007 10:15 AM
Beach Party - Huntington Beach,CA HBeachgirl Forum Rallies & Meet Ups 10 04-20-2007 09:43 AM
Beach Camping Chitown AirStreamers On The Road... 17 08-31-2005 09:57 PM
The beach! Chas General Repair Forum 5 01-04-2003 05:36 PM
Life's lessons FrankR Off Topic Forum 2 08-05-2002 09:36 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.