Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Newer model odors/fumes

How long does it take for the chemical smells in a new trailer to dissipate? Does it bother anyone else? We've only had our Safari for a couple of months and we try to air it out as often as possible, but as soon as we close it up for any period of time, the smells are back with a vengeance. The last few days have been rainy, so it's been closed tightly, and when I opened it up just now the odor almost knocked my socks off. I'm not talking about the "emissions most foul" that come with organic matter and mouse droppings, but a definite "eau de manufacturing."
Thanks for any input! I tried to search for a thread I thought I'd seen on this subject but it's too buried...
Janet
Old 02-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Janet, that's just the down side of being lucky enough to have a new one...

I always liked the new car smell, this must be different or just stronger?

On another thread earlier today, there was discussion about odors of another kind,(Mice) and some suggestions. One of the suggestions was an open container of coffee, you might also try a tray of baking soda.

Good luck, maybe you'll get more ideas on dealing with it.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Janet,
Apparently some trailers are worse than others. Heat, ventilation and time will be the biggest help. If you have the option I would try and leave a roof vent barely open. I have also had decent luck using Febreeze on the fabrics to help drive the odor out. What type of roof vent fan do you have? Some of them can be left open even in the rain. MaxxAir has a relative new one out that can run even when raining.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Glues in plywood & particle board may outgas formaldehyde for a while (link). Plastics of any type will outgas other compounds -- you've seen the slimy deposit inside the windshield on newer cars/trucks. Summer's heat will drive out a lot, so have the windows/vents opened slightly when you can in those months (use the fantastic fan sensor?). I don't notice it much after 16 months or so.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
FWIW, I am fortunate enough to keep my vintage Airstream at my house. While out-gassing from new materials probably dissipated 39 years ago, I still keep one roof vent & one window cracked 24-7 just to keep the place aired out.

It started out as a means to keep the place from getting musty, but I am happy to brag that it ended up being the best way to keep the aroma of thick-sliced bacon cooking from taking over the place.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Mine is 2 years old and many people entering it say it still smells new. I still notice the new smell also- but it has diminished. I don't try to get it out as I don't mind it much. The furnace also has a new duct smell every time I use it. I've used my trailer extensively, in hot and cold weather.

My only suggestion would be to air it out as often as you can.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks for all those helpful tips! We've already done the Febreeze and baking soda thing, but we're probably also just going to have to be patient and ventilate well until all the materials finish "outgassing".
And Fyrzowt, oh how I wish it was that lovely smell of new leather that you never want to fade! Maybe a new TV for that one?
Happy trails,
Janet
Old 02-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The chemicals that are used at construction time are, as the sticker said on our sink "known to cause cancer in the State of California".

That said, our unit is a 2004, built 12/2003. When it's been closed up for extended periods, the fumes inside build and it's hard to be inside until I vent it out with the windows open and maybe the fans on.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks. I'm going to do that from now on whenever it's closed up for long. There's just something about these odors that says "unhealthy" instead of "fresh and new!"
Old 02-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Again, my two cents worth...
All of the above are correct. We have an 06 model. Since new, I keep both roof vents (one is the Fantastic fan) open when weather permits. We have never noticed any strong/offensive odor. Works.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #11
Alumicult in Oregon

1968 28' Ambassador
Currently Looking...
Seaside , Oregon
Although we have a 1981 Excella II, some musty smells remained after a good scrub with light bleach water. Someone suggested that we boil cinnamon sticks inside for a couple of days and see how that worked. They explained it has always worked for them. We gave it a try and I was amazed how well it worked. This may not combat the new chemical smells, but it seemed to work for us. Good luck!
edgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, My 2005 Safari has always had the new smell and it is not bad. But when you take it out, same as a new car, use the air conditioner and the heat strip and the furnace and the vents and the windows. What I'm saying is to use everything to vent out and burn off the newness of all appliances whenever you get a chance. We park ours at home [totally sealed off] and cannot get into it for months and it always smells new / fresh. Other than that, we put a box of bakeing soda in the fridge with the doors held open and keep a opened box of fabric softner sheets [bounce] on the kitchen counter.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
Thanks. I'm going to do that from now on whenever it's closed up for long. There's just something about these odors that says "unhealthy" instead of "fresh and new!"
We have always been aware of "air pollution", even in our home. Current studies have shown that interior pollution is at times more serious than exterior (outdoor) pollution, especially where typical building materials are present.

We have the same model AS (Safari 25FB/SE) and when we are not using it we open the shower vent to allow outgases and other contaminants to escape before they build up enough to actually smell. In addition we actively make sure we air out the AS when in use. However, the most effective tool we use is a simple air purifier. We use a compact "Ionic Breeze" at all times while we store and while we are on shore power. There are other brands of similar quality that will do the same job.

Another tip to reduce the possibility of outgassing is to replace the halogen overhead lamps with LEDs (much less heat). The heat from the halogens provide a stimulus that increases the chemical process that causes outgassing of all of those laminate products in the interior.

I believe we have succeeded in eliminating this problem since we have not had the typicals smells associated nor have we had anyone visiting our AS lodge any complaint. And believe me when I say that our friends and family are not shy about mentioning anything that annoys their senses.

I hope this helps.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I've popped an email to a friend who owns a furniture store and they get a lot of these problems when people refurnish a house. I believe he tells them to get an ozone machine but I'll confirm when he responds.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The issue as I understand it is that the smells you smell are actually the chemicals, so burning or spraying anything, will only mask the smell.

The best and only thing I think one can do is to vent it as best as a reasonably possible when in storage. As I said earlier, my unit is now a bit over 3 years old and the chemicals, glues, etc still have not broken down enough......you'd think with the cheap windows that the base Safari line has with all the air leaks that it wouldn't hold the fumes inside as well as it does when it's sat for a month or so at a time.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
My eyes are burning...

Every time I have been on an Airstream lot the new trailers have caused me problems. I have quite an alergic reaction to being in them for just a minute!

I am a future architect (still taking tests for the license) that plans on designing homes and other buildings that do not have dangerous emissions in them. I plan to redesign a 70's AS unit the same way. It is not easy finding light weight materials for this specific purpose these days but it is getting easier with all the "green Building" initiatives being put in place.

I would like to petition Airstream to do the same with the new products. They have done a great job by hiring very qualified designers in recent years to make their interiors more "design savvy" i.e. more marketable, I would think if they had enough interest from new buyers maybe they would consider this. The current product line in my opinion is down right unhealthy and is a big reason I won't buy new. Even the old trailers still have some "product smell" in them along with the mildew and mouse droppings.
at_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
As usual, the forum folks come to the rescue armed with info. and helpful suggestions! It's amazing how much can be learned here from just asking a simple question.
I did try some odor "maskers"--everything from Febreeze to fresh lavender sachets, and lighting a scented candle. But as Silvertwinkie mentions, some kind of weird fume combination occurs that makes the odors worse (the candle was horrible..and it was an expensive one!) I'm taking advantage of some lovely weather right now and have opened all vents, windows, and doors, and will continue to use that as the main solution, and I'll borrow an ionizer to give it a try. I've already washed all bespreads and aired out covers and cushions, but they really had very little odor. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the laminate,particle board, caulk, sealers, etc.
at_wanderer, sounds like you have a good mission with your career. Keep at it, and keep us posted.
Much appreciation for the thoughtful input!
Janet
Old 02-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Potential lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_wanderer
Every time I have been on an Airstream lot the new trailers have caused me problems. I have quite an alergic reaction to being in them for just a minute!

I am a future architect (still taking tests for the license) that plans on designing homes and other buildings that do not have dangerous emissions in them. I plan to redesign a 70's AS unit the same way. It is not easy finding light weight materials for this specific purpose these days but it is getting easier with all the "green Building" initiatives being put in place.
You may want to research the posts made by member Silver Suz. A disabled person, she had some medical issues that required an exceptionally "green" Airstream, and sought much advice in accomplishing her goal.

Unfortunately, she stopped posting some time ago, so you may not be able to correspond with her.

Edit: BTW, my 'old trailer' smells like cooked, thick-sliced bacon.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
That is a good start...let us know how it all works out.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Yes we had burning of eyes and dry throats and headaches in the beginning with at least one of the trailers, can't say that it is noticeable any more but in cold weather we still crack a window or vent or the little bath vents. But we get a really good exchange of air leaving the door open quite often and it is never shut up for long here at home. Does anyone think there is a difference in materials between the Classic and Safaris and CCDs? At any rate I believe it will eventually stop or level off. ? I wonder if it makes a difference how much the dealer had it open before we received it? Using the new appliances such as the furnace and oven drove us out and set off the alarm. I opened the AS all up and turned them on high and let them burn away.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote