RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Using the new appliances such as the furnace and oven drove us out and set off the alarm. I opened the AS all up and turned them on high and let them burn away.
Actually having the dealer run the furnace 4-5 time before delivery has been on some checklists. There is a higher associated fume level from running a new furnace, whether from cooking off oils or paint residues. I believe janetb is noting fairly normal flatboard glue smells. There aren't many naugas used up in the making of an Airstream, so I wouldn't think she'd end up with much naugagen residue. In spite of our below zero weather the last 3 weeks, the sun really warms in February. I can only imagine the cooking out that is occurring in California.

If you can plug it in periodically to keep the batteries charged I'd probably set the Fantastic Fan thermostat to warm (little or no fan) and open the FF up wide. It is amazing how fast the FF will respond and close if raindrops start splashing. Liberal applications of 'tincture of time' will see less noticeable smells by next spring, tapering to nothing at all afterward.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Good words. I'm starting to think the vinyl flooring is the worst culprit, which might make this dilemma more unique to Safaris than Classics.
Although the dealer assured us the furnace and oven had been run while they had it, the alarms went off with initial use and we let all the whatever burn off while we sat outside. Seemed to do the trick in that department.
Fantastic Fan is open tonight...
Thanks,
Janet
Old 02-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
San Diego (Carmel Valley/DelMar) , California
That new smell kills me! I found that out when looking at Rvs. Honestly, I think Aistreams were better than the rest as far as chemical fumes. Anyway, before taking ownership of our Airstream, we ordered four volcanic zeolite pouches which claim to eliminate VOC, formaldehyde, and carpet outgassing. They have really helped a great deal, although there still is a bit of a smell when the Airstream has been closed up for a period, especially if it has been in the warmer weather. The pouches can be recharged in the sun. So that's our story> zeolite pouches in there at all times (used for sick building syndrome) combined with a little airing out when the Airstream is first opened. Just google zeolite pouches.
sunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks Sunn! I'll check it out.
Janet
Old 02-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Well our cheap and good friend, fresh air, has done wonders. We've had spectacular weather the past few days (sorry, those of you who are being inundated with winter woes right now...) and leaving all vents and windows open has all but banished the fumeness. I know when we close it up again we'll probably have more off-gassing, but this result so far has been very reassuring.
Thanks!
Janet
Old 03-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
All of these RV's have a problem with the outgassing thru -out the RV industry because of the cheap materials, laminates, glues, plastics, etc,. These all cause the Formaldehyde outgassing which is very harmful to people with Asthma and respatory problems. Just check out all the stories about the health problems with the trailers FEMA purchase because of Katrina.....The only way around it is to buy a vintage AS and use Green materials or natural products to reduce all gasses. The RV industry is in total denial about how harmful these gasses are.......Hopefully, even AS will offer a Green package in the future on newer models of AS.....
Bob J. Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #27
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Hi,

I have some very bad allergies so I understand the issues with outgassing. The best advise I can give is lots of heat and time. Maybe you could leave it in a hot/warm enviroment for a time? Like Vegas? The heat tends to make the outgassing occur faster.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote