Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #41
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
That looks sharp Doug.

I assume you're putting it across the front. So it will have to be away from the front about 16" or so. That would actually work out nicely for the recliner. I also like the drop down table in the center.

I'd like to see some inside shots of your Ambassador! (Do you have a fold away bunk? I'm looking for detailed photos and measurements so I can build one)

We're still going to need a bed. This Magic bed turns into a 76" x 51" bed when folded out.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #42
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
I'm looking toward something like this now.Any idea what these cost?

tim you got some great diys in this thread now but the flexsteels are nice too.

priced between $800-$1900 depending on surface and style.

there was an a/s sofa/bed
from a new classic limited in ultraleather

in j/c for sale at about 1/2 the usual price and less than the f/s.

the one i saw was brand new and would fit and is very similar to the flexsteels...

these ARE very comfortable as a sofa and bed. i've posted pics as have others.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...2&d=1140679615

it seems to me'buttometer these ultraleather models have more stuffing than the standard goucho sofabeds on new models.

other b'meters agree?

why not call the a/s store monday, they do have these from time2time...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
That looks sharp Doug.

I assume you're putting it across the front. So it will have to be away from the front about 16" or so. That would actually work out nicely for the recliner. I also like the drop down table in the center.

I'd like to see some inside shots of your Ambassador! (Do you have a fold away bunk? I'm looking for detailed photos and measurements so I can build one
If I use it it will fit across the front. We have no one that will be travelling with us so we don't need extra beds. Anyway I can sleep in the recliner at home just fine. I am way behind you on finishing as we took off for the winter and headed south. I've got 2 finished trailers so I can take time out from this one . We don't have bunks, you'll have to see Rob for that. He just brought home his remade bunks. Check out his blog.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Here , Illinois
Hello:
This is just a short test. Yesterday, nothing went through. More if it does!
kincaidjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Here , Illinois
OK. Working. Don't know what I did yesterday.

I think you can have both a couch and a bed. I have a 1966 Ambassador and I had to replace the couch/bed. The area looks like yours but the cabinets (bed frame) and shelf under the window were present.

I had a mattress custom made to fit the area for about $120. Fortunately, I had the frames for the arm rests on the ends - they were just bedraggled. So, I purchased heavy duty oil cloth (marine quality) from JoAnne's Fabrics, took the mattress, the arm rests and a heavy foam rectangle for the back rest to an Amish boat canvas upholsterer and had them upholster all of that, plus the mattress for the 2nd bed. It just wipes off - no dirt, no pet fur. The table on the end which folds up was present.

I have photos for you, if you like. I haven't figured out how to insert them.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Here , Illinois
One more thought. I would not recommend foam. Since the Hurricane, the price of foam has shot through the roof. Mattress factories, like The Denver Mattress Factory, etc. actually do a great custom job for a fraction of the price of foam. Foam needs to be pretty thick to hold up to pressure and weight. I will try to figure out photo uploads or I could email mine if they would help at all. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:54 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Nearly Finished Dinette Pics

Okay, probably last pic of the dinette before I post project completion pics under my "photos" section.

Finally finished trimming out all the frames as well as adding a small piece of molding around the top to support the table in the bed position. Stain and finish will wait till after the Springstream Rally this weekend.

Tables were constructed with 1/4" luan with a 1" plywood frame underneath. (each table weighs 11 lbs). They will be clasped together using window latches.

Foam is "wrapped" for now. My wife will sew covers with piping later this spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinette 005 webcopy.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	35664  
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

yuma , Arizona
my brother in law and myself were just talking about doing something like this. you have made up our minds, gonna do both trailers. I have four kids (7 and below) and there is absolutely no reason to have that single couch. we don't use the dinette and the sliding cabinet is a joke. plus the table going down to make a large bed is great, lets us get rid of the air mattress that they have to use on the floor.
did you run into any problems? I was curious as to how you anchored it to your walls (if you did) Once we get going will update you on your "pre patent" idea.
thanks,!
themunks is offline   Reply With Quote