Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2002, 05:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Will this couch fit my trailer??

I'm trying to find an Airstream "gaucho" for the front of my '77 31 ft. rear bath Sovereign...the one that goes across the front of the trailer, under the windows....mine was completely removed by the PO, so I have nothing up there but the Univolt and battery box. There's one from an '86 31 ft. Sovereign on eBay right now and I'm wondering if the layouts at the front of the trailers are the same so that the unit would just "bolt in"...This later model looks a bit different than the pictures of ones I've seen for my vintage trailer....are the later ones "better" in any way for sleeping, or should I just go ahead and try to find a "correct" one? I would be willing to "compromise" some originality if the bed was more comfortable, but if not, I'll continue my search....
Thanks for any input here...
JG
JohnGalt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 09:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

The couch across the front of my 77/31' is not confortable at all. The first couple of days out isn't too bad, but its really gets to you after that!. We even had it reuphostered with new padding & it didn't help. I've seen several people who have removed them & put in two recliners. When made into a bed, that isn't any good either. Its hard to find a couch that would work with that univolt that sticks in to the room to far & is a little to tall. I've even thought about making a couch, but I probably wouldn't be happy with that either. Some of the newer A/S TT's have much better couches, but would be very expensive if you had to buy a new one. We just keep using what we have, some times using our folding chairs to sit on. Let us know what you do.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 05:14 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I belive the one on e-bay will fit your 77. The major diffrence is that the storage under the couch is a drawer in the 80's not the tambour like the rest of your trailer. The couches get more comfortable the newer the model. my 77 was ok, but in the 80's it was a completly diffrent design.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 05:27 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Thanks for the info everyone....I decided at the last minute to not bid on the '86 sofa on eBay. I had a pang of conscience about not putting in a "correct" one! Now I read here that the later ones are more comfortable for sleeping, so I'm still undecided. Has anyone installed a futon up there? It looks like there are quite a few models that would fit that aren't necessarily made for rv's...any experiences? My ultimate would be to end up with a queen size bed up there. I'm willing to compromise some "sofabilitity" for "sleepability" here...
Thanks
JG
JohnGalt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 06:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

White Hall , Virginia
Lounge sofa for 31' 1977 Sovereign

John,

I have a 1986 31' Sovereign which must be similar to the one from which a front lounge sofa is on ebay. I am not sure if it will fit your A/S, but mine is original, very comfortable and makes into a bed. Unless your A/S is narrower than the 86' I don't know why it couldn't be made to fit. Also, the 86' model is more like a residential piece of furniture instead of the foam slab sofas I have seen in the vintage trailers. therefore, the style might not be consistent. Hope this is helpful.

Bill Florence
86' Sovereign
2001 Dodge Ram Quad Diesel
Charlottesville, VA
Thorobred Jack-Beagle
wflorencejr is offline   Reply With Quote