Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Recover Sofa/valance

This is the year for a few upholstery upgrades to the 34' Limited. Perhaps I'll replace the carpet with an interloc floor.

Does anyone know a vendor (or one that would be recommended) who sells replacement Sofa covers? Mine is 74" without attached arms.

"Project Valance Scallop". Removing the fabric and cutting away the scallops seems easy enough, the million staples per valance has turned this task a project but perhaps it would be easier to build new ones and start from scratch.

any comments are welcome!
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Our winter project has been taking out a good portion of our airstream interior to do laminate flooring. Sadly we found a leak and now we are replacing subflooring as well. It was a lot easier then we expected to get the sofa/dinette etc all out. I made slipcover for the sofa and dinette until such time as we can get them professionally reupholstered. It has been nice to pull them off and wash as needed. I was unaware you could buy covers pre made. I also upholsterred the arms and drawer. It was easy just plyers to remove old fabric and a staple gun.
As for the valances It took me about three hours to pry pull and cut the fabric off the valances. I too wanted to cut off the scallops but on closer inspection felt that they would be to shallow. So I kept the scallpos. I don't see why you couldn't glue and staple a new square face board on top of the scalloped board instead of making all new valances. I used a lightweight cotton to cover them with batting underneath. If I ever choose to recover them again I am hoping the fabric will be light enough to just cover over what is there now.
Goodluck.. and yes we will post pics when we are done.
Steve's Wife
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Well, first let me start by telling you that my wife and I really enjoyed meeting the two of you last weekend and getting to know a little about you over dinner. I just wish we hadn't needed to work quite as much as we did so that we could have visited a little more. I only got to see a few of the Vintage units and my wife never got to see any.

As to your upholstry needs, have you thought about using the Fowlers. The Fowlers have a national reputation for great work. The previous owner of our Limited had them redo the curtains in our Limited and they did a wonderful job. If you don't know about the Fowlers, and can't find out about them through the search button on this forum then either post back to this thread or send me a PM and I'll see if I can't come up with their address. I know for a fact that they advertise in the Blue Beret. They specialize in Airstream upholstry. Their work that I have seen is as good as it gets.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:42 AM   #4
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Heywood
Our winter project has been taking out a good portion of our airstream interior to do laminate flooring. Sadly we found a leak and now we are replacing subflooring as well. It was a lot easier then we expected to get the sofa/dinette etc all out. I made slipcover for the sofa and dinette until such time as we can get them professionally reupholstered. It has been nice to pull them off and wash as needed. I was unaware you could buy covers pre made. I also upholsterred the arms and drawer. It was easy just plyers to remove old fabric and a staple gun.
As for the valances It took me about three hours to pry pull and cut the fabric off the valances. I too wanted to cut off the scallops but on closer inspection felt that they would be to shallow. So I kept the scallpos. I don't see why you couldn't glue and staple a new square face board on top of the scalloped board instead of making all new valances. I used a lightweight cotton to cover them with batting underneath. If I ever choose to recover them again I am hoping the fabric will be light enough to just cover over what is there now.
Goodluck.. and yes we will post pics when we are done.
Steve's Wife

Steve's wife,

Sorry to hear about the sub-floor problems, I expect no-issues will be uncovered on my unit! The scalopped valances hide drapery pleates so trimming off the scallops should look fine but your suggestion of stapling a face board over the scallop board is very good, I'll consider this idea!

The Sofa cover on my unit was installed with hog-rings so replacement should not be hard if I locate a source.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
As I write, the sofa and the wall panels of my 86 31' Sovereign our at the local upholstery shop. We bought the fabric (16 yds @ 8.99 per) and the labor quote to recover everything is $550.00.

Wife and I have absolutely no skills in this area, hence the professional help.

With the sofa out, I am sorely tempted to remove the Pergo floooring -- a po installed it rigidly so, naturally, it is seperating at the seams.... but, that's another story.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s
As I write, the sofa and the wall panels of my 86 31' Sovereign our at the local upholstery shop. We bought the fabric (16 yds @ 8.99 per) and the labor quote to recover everything is $550.00.

Wife and I have absolutely no skills in this area, hence the professional help.

With the sofa out, I am sorely tempted to remove the Pergo floooring -- a po installed it rigidly so, naturally, it is seperating at the seams.... but, that's another story.

mike
Mike,

Since the sofa material is hog-ringed similar to cars, I'm about to conclude removing the sofa and visit local auto-upholstery shops should be seriously considered.

Steve’s Wife suggested: "square face board on top of the scalloped board instead of making all new valances."

Now I can work with this idea!

The forum is full of flooring issues, expansion/contraction and floor types. Installation seems critical. Good luck with your Pergo dilma, I don't need these types problems!