Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Matching interior "wood" paneling color

We recently installed a microwave in our 2006 Bambi 19. I used clear alder for the microwave frame and now I'd like to finish it. A friend recommended a clear sealer, but the finish is too red. See the attached pic. Has anyone found a good match for this common AS finish. Thanks in advance for any advice.

George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wood finishes.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	233813  

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Try waterbased clear polyurethane. I use Minwax Polycrylic. Satin has less shine and drys totally clear. It goes on 'milky' but drys very clear.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Pickled Oak Minwax is the product to use

I tried several different finishes including the Minwax Polycrylic. All produced similar results.... a nice light brown finish. I picked the one that looked the closest to the paneling color (a wipe on polyurethane) and tried it, but when I installed the microwave frame with that finish, it was just too brown (see attached).

So I tried some Minwax Pickled Oak finish and applied two thin coats with a cloth on top of the polyurethane. I let the finish dry about 12 hours between coats. The resulting finish was quite close (see attached). Not a perfect match, but close enough, at least for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polyurethane only.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	234554   Click image for larger version

Name:	polyurethane plus minwax pickled oak.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	234555  

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Hi, I had the same experience recently trying to match my ash in my '69 Safari.

From what I can see in the picture your raw woods colour is pretty darn close to what you need and that was the same issue I had, as soon as I added a finish the colouring dramatically changed, I went through umpteen different finishes and even pickling in an attempt to get it right. In the end the one that worked for me was Minwax brushable laquer. It didn't change the colour of the wood from the original at all. I used a cheap foam brush and brushed it on fast. It self levels to a point but it quickly kicks over like an epoxy and leaves brush marks if you work too slowly.

After some research I found that a lacquer finish was what was used in my year anyway so I also used it to top coat some areas of the original cabinetry as well, again without affecting the original colour.

Minwax 1-qt. Gloss Clear Brushing Lacquer-15500 - The Home Depot

Good Luck
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Nice work, George. As an old woodwork manufacturer I applaud your method of trying various products for the best "blend" of color, figure, and sheen. The word "match" carries too much baggage in the world of woodworking. The best any of us can hope for is a great blend of the natural characteristics of real wood with existing work.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote