Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Wood Paneling: Recommend a good thread?

Wondering if it is worth the trouble, and within my capabilities to install wood paneling in a 1963 Bambi I am doing a shell-off refurbishment. Mine did not originally have wood paneling, seen some beautiful finished work, just have not seen a step-by step.

Anybody recommend some links that can help me decide if this is something I can try and tackle ?
Aktundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I think little more info is needed...are you thinking about cladding the interior aluminum walls with wood or are you talking about the flat panels that divide up the space? Two completely different techniques are utilized for each - may help direct you to the most appropriate thread(s).

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktundra View Post
Wondering if it is worth the trouble, and within my capabilities to install wood paneling in a 1963 Bambi I am doing a shell-off refurbishment. Mine did not originally have wood paneling, seen some beautiful finished work, just have not seen a step-by step.

Anybody recommend some links that can help me decide if this is something I can try and tackle ?
If you are talking interior walls, I am just getting ready to do my endcap. Looking for the measurements on the 13 panel dimensions so I can start tracing it out. Buying the baltic birch this weekend.

Here is the part of JP's thread with birch panels:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...tml#post381115

And here is Carlos' thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f321...tml#post186147

If you meant wood panel cabinetry, I have plenty of links for that as well....

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Sorry for not clarifying sooner. I am thinking of cladding the interior with paneling.

Wondering how the curves in the end caps is accomplished, and how the paneling is attached and trimmed
Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Woodies are cool. Here's a pic of my 56 bubble in quarter sawn oak. Cheers. Tef
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3772737059.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	151766  
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
56 Craftsman bungalo Here's a close up of trim around one of my windows. I look forward to seeing what you do with your trailer. Cheers Ted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1474850583.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	799.2 KB
ID:	151767  
Old 02-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
So you see that you can just follow the lines of your trailer and then use Olympic rivets to cover the joints with a boat style band of trim. You can use small rivets at the seams where you'll cover with the banding. Snip off the Olympic rivets and use a rivet shaver to smooth out to finish it.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
So the interior skins are removed and replaced with wood paneling?( rather than wood on top of the skin)

Is there any special forming required for the complex curves of the end cap? Can one just rivet the curves as one moves along the edge of each wood panel?

Would the AS gods consider it sacralige to have PERFECTLY good aluminum end caps and interior panels, and replace the with wood panels?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
No, I don't think that's the way to go. Maybe on other makes of trailers, but not Airstreams. With their monoque construction, I think the interior aluminum skins are a neccessity for structural integrity.

Cladding the interior skins with wood would be much more feasible on a 50's or older trailer with 13 panels because all the end caps are made from flat aluminum sheets which could basically be taken down, laid flat and have wood veneer added to them, then put back. Any of the post-57/58 trailers are going to have compound curves that make up those end panels and that's where it's going to get tricky IMO.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktundra View Post
So the interior skins are removed and replaced with wood paneling?( rather than wood on top of the skin)

Is there any special forming required for the complex curves of the end cap? Can one just rivet the curves as one moves along the edge of each wood panel?

Would the AS gods consider it sacralige to have PERFECTLY good aluminum end caps and interior panels, and replace the with wood panels?
There is no sacrilege in Airstreams as long as you are going to use it, IMO. Take it camping, enjoy the world, and nothing else matters.

OK one more link, from Frank's blog: Anna Lumanum: here's where I'm at...

I know many here, including some in my previous links as well, have built 13 panel endcaps in places that didn't have it. I would not try to attempt a 7 panel compound endcap. An interior whale tail was also built by someone else, can't remember who. Also, there was someone who built an endcap out of wood to replace their fiberglass one, and used backing strips to grip the wood better with the rivet. This allowed them to completely replace the structural integrity in kind.

Ted, thanks for adding that picture of yours. Up until now I had only seen baltic birch used. I like the oak, although since the rest of my cabinets are going to be BB for simplicity and cost, I will probably just stick with 1/8" BB for the endcap.

Anyway, to AKTundra, although I haven't actually done it yet, I can say that after reading 6 or 7 threads discussing it, I am much less intimidated by the concept. Lots of trimming and sanding, sure, but for the most part it's just like working with aluminum.

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 02-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Yes mine was done over the interior skin and it is a whale tail bubble. Thin plywood bends pretty easy too. I finished mine with 2 coats of minwax antique oil finish. It's easy to use and gives a durable easily repaired finish.

And regarding Interior decisions: I say It's your trailer so you get to do what you want with it! Just don't put s house window air conditioner out the front window! I bought mine stripped out so I could only make it better inside. The woodie interior does limit you to a non 50's diner look because those bright flashy colors seem to fight the tones of wood. You do however get a warm toasty man's cabin feel with a woodie interior. I like it. You also would have freedom to cut holes into the interior skin to run new electrical or light wire prior to panelling. Easier than fishing stuff through the walls. Have fun. Ted
Old 02-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by the544man View Post
Yes mine was done over the interior skin and it is a whale tail bubble. Thin plywood bends pretty easy too. I finished mine with 2 coats of minwax antique oil finish. It's easy to use and gives a durable easily repaired finish.
Ted, I didn't notice the whale tail on the pictures at first. Very nice touch. Just came across your thread and interestingly enough I'm already subscribed but I guess I never got around to going back and reading from the beginning.... And it looks as if you also did a 13 panel in the front.

How this was the plywood you used?

Great work on the Bubble, and a great example of wood paneling for the purposes of THIS thread.

- Peter

Old 11-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
I pull this old thread up and page through the linked threads from time to time. I am getting closer to needing to make a decision if interior wood paneling is something I want to try or not.

One thing I think I noticed is that even with 7 panel endcaps, folks installing interior wood, still went with 13 panels to help manage the compound curves.

Does that sound right?

Also, I have seen no mention of using an adhesive in addition to rivets or screws along the sides. I have seen no mention of scoring or other relief on the backside to help the panel flex.

Are any of these technics used in retro-fitting wood panels over the interior skins?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
There is a couple threads here with 'wood' overlay on the Aluminum interior.. and it came out great!!! search J. Morgan userid.

Here is a link where he recently posted some interior pics of his own AS work... I like it. a llllloooootttt.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...-127555-2.html
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote