Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Pasadena , California
Glossy paint in a '61?

A previous owner painted the interior walls of our 1961 Tradewind peach; it looks like they used a roller. They also added some speakers and other stuff (covering wires with duck tape and painting over that as well....). So we can see a little of the original paint color; we don't want to match that color. We would prefer a glossier paint but I've been reading about the Zolatone.

Our considerations are cost, and when possible not straying too far from the original, but we're not going to be purists in the restoration.

Any thoughts or suggestions about rough versus glossy? Painting prep recommendations? Finishes?
NataliePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
1977 27' Overlander
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Zolatone...

I researched Zolatone last fall after purchasing a 54 Cruiser. The original paint in the interior is Zolatone in a light gray. The PO had painted over it in many areas with an off-white interior paint. Not sure when it was re-painted. Worried about lead, etc...

I emailed the Zolatone manufacturer for help on where to purchase and any information regarding re-applying an older interior. I received an email back from the corporate folks that was a carbon copy to the regional rep. He never contacted me. I was kind of bummed.

I also did some research on the forums about re-applying Zolatone and the info was sparse but there. Seems to be a bit tricky to get an even application and the application process seems a bit toxic. Masks, suit, spray gun etc.

I would love to hear if you find out any info on application or resources for Zolatone. I still haven't decided what to do. For me, it would be nice to have the interior paint and wood as close to original as possible, but I may have to settle for a soft eggshell paint style. I like the softness of the Zolatone that I would only be able to achieve with an eggshell finish.

Before I make my final decision I'm going to see if there are any local Zolatone painters in my area.

I found the info on this thread very informative.
ABS faux painting thread.

k
WALLY54 1954 Cruiser #11281
Buttercup 77 Overlander #17330
1990 345-LE MoHo Classic #7830
Air #
WALLY 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Pasadena , California
Thanks, I think it will be a while before we make a final decision. I had seen the threads about Zolatone as well, but the spray painting recommendations seemed complicated. I would prefer a smoother surface, and with a young son, something that cleans easily.

It seems that some people have had success with faux finishing, and there are more products out for that; I just don't like the interior flat that was used in our trailer.

It will probably be a while before we actually get to the painting; my husband is working on repairing the cabinets right now.

Bit by bit...

Natalie
NataliePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Go zolotone!

Hi,

We bought Zolotone at our local auto/RV parts/paint supplier, we live in a town of 7,500 so it can't be too hard to come by. We have a 1963 Bambi. The Zolotone is a bit trickier to spray (need a certain kind of spray gun...) but it covers beautifully. One of the special things about Zolotone is it is very hard paint and lasts many, many years. It is also quite forgiving and covers up tiny dents on the interior, etc.

I will see if I can find the section in my husband's link about painting with the Zolotone. His thread is http://www.airforums.com/forum...mbi-17925.html but it is a long thread to wade through. The general post number to begin the painting process discussion and eventually pictures will be found on page #22 at post #304. We also have a 1955 Flying Cloud and he will use Zolotone if he paints the interior, it is really nice stuff. You can get it in about a zillion colors, so I am sure you will be able to choose something you like.

Here is the website that my husband referenced on where to get zolotone ~ at the Zolotone automotive website. www.zolotoneaim.com

Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 26' Overlander
birmingham , Alabama
You might also want to check out a competitor of zolatone called Multispec (I believe).

their tech guy was very helpful on the phone and loaded me up with swatches/sample literature. I think they are a bit less expensive than Zolatone but can't swear to it....

I'm still deciding which way to go also...
Old 03-07-2007, 12:14 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Pasadena , California
Thanks for the tips. I checked out the Zolatone site and the product looks good. I'm a bit wary about spraying though, since I have visions of flecks getting on the cabinets my husband's been restoring. But the point about covering flaws is well taken. I'm wondering if the shiny paint would accentuate the flaws (although the interior shell walls look surprisingly good, considering how terrible the wood is). Maybe I'll test a patch...of course now I'm realizing that I really need to figure out the fabric choices for gauchos & curtains...
Old 03-07-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I sprayed a 60 Avion with Multispec and it came out beautiful. As mentioned above the Multispec tech guys were real helpful. I used a water based paint with HVLP spray equipment. It is available through Sherwin Williams dealers although they will probably not have a clue what you are talking about and will have to order it. It cost about $200 paint, clear coar and equpment rental for my 20 footer.

Multispec is, well, speckled, and Zolotone (I think) a solid color. Mulltispec was developed in the 40's to spray car trunks.