Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Omelas , Texas
Bathroom vinyl finish peeling off...

I searched through the threads, but I did not find any info that may help me with this issue...

This is a 2005 Safari Classic.
In the bathroom, the vinyl (see photo) has started to peel off.
I would like to tap into the more experienced Airstreamers for some advise.

- Looking at the picture, it is advisable to attempt to re-glue the vinyl back to its original state? And if so, what glue will be the best for this?

- I started to thinker with the idea to rip the vinyl off and put new one (it looks like it has some shrinkage (?) and even if I re-glue...it would not reach the original edges. But...

- Where can I find replacement material ? (vinyl). I searched in Home Depot and Lowes, and all they have is vinyl floor tiles, no bulk material like the one used in this bathroom.

Any help, greatly appreciated.
photo-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I am not familiar with your model AS but looking at the photos, the vinyl could be one of the following things:

Option 1 - Is it thick enough to be linoleum like you would use on the floor? We have linoleum floors in the downstairs of our house that have a fauz woodgrain with texture but it is thick like linoleum. I am not sure of a good glue you could use to attach it but someone here (or if you find a knowledgable person at a flooring store) may have some a good idea.

Option 2 - Sign stores have vinyl on rolls that is basically and thick sticker used to apply graphics to signs, vehicles, etc. If what you have peeling there is like the covering on our AS paneling that was originally in our AS, it was this type of vinyl. Sign stores usually carry solid colors and may have or be able to order faux woodgrain. You may have to take a piece and shop the sign stores to find exactly that color/type of wood it is emulating.

Without some sort of trim at the edge that holds it in place, either of the options above would probably peel again over time. Especially in the bathroom with the moisture from hot showers, etc. and the location right under the toilet where someone may step on the edge and start the peeling.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
You could call the factory to see if they will sell you a replacement sheet - or try this search...

wood grain sheet vinyl - Google Search
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Omelas , Texas
@Bowmans:
You know, I have been looking/searching for "vinyl"...just entered some local searches for "linoleum" , and it looks like there are a couple of good candidates, thanks!

@Ganglin:
If the local option fails...some of the hits form your suggested search look promising:

Thx!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi photo

the original VINYL flooring is an armstrong product.

armstrong has a very detailed website on this stuff.

the specific color/style is listed IN the parts manual (online) at the a/s corporate site.

but given the location (wall/upper level) i see no reason to MATCH the floor.

PEELING like this is extremely common.

i've seen brand new units delivered to dealers looking like that.

armstrong gives good recommendations for adhesives.

IF attempting to REglue, i'd use a 3M spray adhesive available from auto supply stores.

it will be a challenge to roll/press the curled stuff, and a WIDER aluminum trim piece might be wise too...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Whatever you put it back on with it would be good to use this on the surface first. It seals the wood, etc. so that your adhesive doesn't release from the vinyl and soak into the porous surface. That's what primarily causes the problems with the peeling. Same concept with vinyl floor tiles and it's aggravated by the wide variation in temps/humidity in a trailer.....

Quart Adhesive Primer by Homax Group Inc - More Adhesives and tile grouting at doitbest.com
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Omelas , Texas
Cool...more good tips.
I think I will approach in a progressive manner:

- I will try to re-glue first. If result is sub-par...
- I will rip the piece off, clean and prime the surface, and put something new.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, this is a crappy design to begin with. Two sided tapes and glues will not hold it down once it starts to lift. Long before mine got that bad, actually, mine was only lifting on the elevated toilet floor, one dealer tried to fix it. The fix was a failure. So I bought some aluminum trim and 1/4 round oak to make a final repair and it has held up for several years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 247 (Large).jpg
Views:	226
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	91891   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 248 (Large).jpg
Views:	221
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	91892  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Omelas , Texas
Wow! that looks...even better than the factory design.
Now my head is spinning with ideas in this direction
Old 12-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Omelas , Texas
OK, ladies and gents...thanks to all the info I got in this thread, I was able to fix my AS bathroom peel-off issue.

It only took 30 trips to Home Depot and 20 to Lowes
to get the right parts and glues. I could not find a decent "nose guard / step guard" for this job. The ones in stock were huge, 1.5" x 1.5"

I ended up using stock aluminum angle for the nose, and flat bar all around.

I ripped-off the whole vertical piece of linoleum. Cleaned the back of it and the bathroom surface. I used RinoTape (flooring tape) on all the edges and contact flooring glue for the rest of the areas.
On the edges where the linoleum was already fried, hard and bent up, I used shallow tacks with broad heads to secure it back into place. Finished all seams and gaps with clear silicone.

Hope this helps the next AS bathroom victim

Old 12-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Great job - congrats! I also have a 2005 Classic, but must be a different model as the toilet in mine is not elevated and sits directly on the floor.

I'm amazed at the original design - and its failure. Yet another example whereby one would have justification on expecting more from Airstream considering the cost! You really would have thought they would have learned better over all those years of production.

We are on our first Airstream, and I am still happy with the purchase, but when i see some of the info posted on this forum, I am disillusioned to the point that had I read this first, I'm not at all sure I would have bought!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Photo-travel,
The fix looks great and looks like you fixed it to last!

Wingeezer,
Don't let the site fool you. Most people only post the issues they have to get feedback/ideas on a solution so that is what you see. I grew up with square campers and if there was a site like this for any of their brands, it would be much worse. They would only have 5 to maybe 10 year old campers still on the road (as opposed to the 1950's and out on this site) and those would be having rotted wall issues, let alone the floor. I agree there was some production issues but all in all, I am very happy we went with AS. After our renovation on our 1979, I am pretty sure it will last another 30 years with little maintenance.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #13

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, this is a crappy design to begin with. Two sided tapes and glues will not hold it down once it starts to lift. Long before mine got that bad, actually, mine was only lifting on the elevated toilet floor, one dealer tried to fix it. The fix was a failure. So I bought some aluminum trim and 1/4 round oak to make a final repair and it has held up for several years now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo-travel View Post
OK, ladies and gents...thanks to all the info I got in this thread, I was able to fix my AS bathroom peel-off issue.

It only took 30 trips to Home Depot and 20 to Lowes
to get the right parts and glues. I could not find a decent "nose guard / step guard" for this job. The ones in stock were huge, 1.5" x 1.5"

I ended up using stock aluminum angle for the nose, and flat bar all around.

I ripped-off the whole vertical piece of linoleum. Cleaned the back of it and the bathroom surface. I used RinoTape (flooring tape) on all the edges and contact flooring glue for the rest of the areas.
On the edges where the linoleum was already fried, hard and bent up, I used shallow tacks with broad heads to secure it back into place. Finished all seams and gaps with clear silicone.

Hope this helps the next AS bathroom victim

Those modification/repairs look good. Nice work guys.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Omelas , Texas
I think that in general, the Airstream core design concept is very solid, meaning:

An aerodynamic durable shape implemented in light weight aluminum structure and skin.

This is why, I think, this concept has remained virtually unchanged since the first units in production.

However, I think that the interiors have never, or rarely have matched the level of simple, utilitarian, effective design of the exterior. There is a cottage industry out there just dedicated to re-design the interiors of Airstreams, vintage and new.

It seems that in the least 2, 3 years with the new International trim, AS picked up ideas form the aftermarket designs.

The silver lining in doing these little projects? Engage other AS owners, design stuff for yourself and experience the pride of a job well done.

Tags
bathroom, repair, vinyl