Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
New Member
 
1985 34' Sovereign
Carbondale , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1
Unhappy Alternatives To Painting Walls?

Backstory if you want:

My husband and I purchased a 1985 34' Sovereign a couple of weeks ago. It is in great shape - everything is functional and held up well, no mold, etc. Everything is original (which has it's pros and cons). Aesthetically, it is after all 30 years old and the interior is not the beauty it was once. Everything is faded or stained, yellow, dingy, etc. When we bought it the plan was to make some basic "surface" upgrades. I am dyeing the curtains from cream to a light grey, we just got done sanding the cabinets and will be staining them tomorrow, and I took out a few unnecessary things like the brown faux leather curtains in the hallway and some of the wooden pieces that were installed over the windows. I'm also replacing some of the light fixtures. We are also taking out the twin beds in the bedroom and putting in a queen bed.

HOWEVER, my husband is now not willing to paint the walls, because he believes it won't work (due to them being vinyl). We have already purchased over $200 worth of high-quality primer and paint, but oh well.

My question is this: Is there any other way to cover/hide/conceal/ignore the hideous dingy yellow walls with scuffs, marks and stains? I need a way to feel better about them so I don't just hate it every time I look at the walls. I guess the one good thing is that they aren't "sticky" the way some people describe their walls, so hey at least I got that going for me...

Any and all tips, advice, words of wisdom, or even crazy ideas would be appreciated!
__________________

__________________
mtn_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
desertair27's Avatar

 
1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 944
Images: 32
I cleaned my walls with something called Castrol super clean and it really whitened them up . It's a powerful product so be careful. Like so powerful if you use to much it can melt the vinyl.
__________________

__________________
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
If cleaned well, and scuffed, the walls will hold a high quality paint. If I was going to go to the trouble of deeply cleaning the walls, I would paint them.

It is more work now, but it will make you feel better every time you use the trailer.

Anyway, this probably wont interest you much, but I covered my walls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1410406590.172397.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	787.5 KB
ID:	221478
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Greenwich , New York
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 47
I had to strip my vinyl in my 73 Travelux as it was pulling away from the rivets and no longer adhering to some of the curves. It was a nasty job and I wish I didn't have to do it. The vinyl on the lower walls of the bathroom held up pretty well so I left them alone. I cleaned them up with a scrub brush and Softscrub cleaner. for the scuffs I used Mr Clean Magic Eraser.The other walls are to be painted next Spring
__________________
Travelux 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
Alternatives To Painting Walls?

I might have misunderstood what vinyl is in an 85,, I don't think that the coating in my 70s model trailers would ever peel on their own or in normal paint prep.

Peeling/separating changes my paint recommendations, however the coating in my two trailers is very durable and more than suitable for painting.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_girl View Post
Backstory if you want:

My husband and I purchased a 1985 34' Sovereign a couple of weeks ago. It is in great shape - everything is functional and held up well, no mold, etc. Everything is original (which has it's pros and cons). Aesthetically, it is after all 30 years old and the interior is not the beauty it was once. Everything is faded or stained, yellow, dingy, etc. When we bought it the plan was to make some basic "surface" upgrades. I am dyeing the curtains from cream to a light grey, we just got done sanding the cabinets and will be staining them tomorrow, and I took out a few unnecessary things like the brown faux leather curtains in the hallway and some of the wooden pieces that were installed over the windows. I'm also replacing some of the light fixtures. We are also taking out the twin beds in the bedroom and putting in a queen bed.

HOWEVER, my husband is now not willing to paint the walls, because he believes it won't work (due to them being vinyl). We have already purchased over $200 worth of high-quality primer and paint, but oh well.

My question is this: Is there any other way to cover/hide/conceal/ignore the hideous dingy yellow walls with scuffs, marks and stains? I need a way to feel better about them so I don't just hate it every time I look at the walls. I guess the one good thing is that they aren't "sticky" the way some people describe their walls, so hey at least I got that going for me...

Any and all tips, advice, words of wisdom, or even crazy ideas would be appreciated!
The following is a ONE TIME big job.

Clean the walls, VERY WELL.

Then apply 2 coats of Future floor wax.

It does a fantastic job, that lasts forever.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,046
Images: 11
Future floor wax IS some incredibly durable stuff.
__________________
J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
1985 27' Sovereign
Jonestown , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 72
I saw a DIY video on this on You tube. just google.
__________________
Texas Gal 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
Mantua , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 97
J. Morgan. What exactly is on your walls? I personally LOVE IT!
My 61' has the textured paint on it.
In the bathroom, I'd LOVE to go pure white, but afraid of adhesion issues...???
My big question, what kind of paint will stay up there?
Your AS interior LOOKS AMAZING!
__________________
Studioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:42 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
 
millertimeUS's Avatar
 
1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 351
Can someone explain the future floor wax to me? What is it, where to buy it, etc. Is it's main purpose to eliminate sticky walls?


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind
__________________
Matt
millertimeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by millertimeUS View Post
Can someone explain the future floor wax to me? What is it, where to buy it, etc. Is it's main purpose to eliminate sticky walls?


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind
I started that future wax stuff many years ago.

The name has change a little.

It's now called Future Floor Finish.

You can buy it at most any grocery store.

Wash the walls VERY WELL. You may have to scrub them with a stiff brush. After the drying takes place, make sure all the "sticky" is gone.

When the sticky is gone, apply 2 coats of the Future Floor Finish to the walls. ALLOW AT LEAST 8 HOURS, between applications.

This works on the old "Zolotone", the vinyl covered metal as well as the new style, bare metal walls.

The Future people say you can scrub your walls using one cup of ammonia, plus 1/4 cup Armstrong Floor cleaner in 1/2 gallon water. They also recommend that you rinse the wall down afterwards. Then apply the Future Finish.

The finished look is FANTASTIC when 2 coats are applied.

For a example, do a square foot or so on a wall. THEN, decide if you want the rest of the trailer to look that "far out great." If not, remove it with the cleaning solution from above.

I guarantee, you will make your fellow Airstream friends, jealous when they see your FUTURE walls.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member
 
millertimeUS's Avatar
 
1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 351
Andy my 1976's walls are the original off white vinyl coated ones. They are currently removed as I am in the midst of a renovation. I planned on painting them upon reinstall. However perhaps a very thorough cleaning and this wax would yield better long term results? What is your experience with painting over vinyl covered walls?

Given it is a wax I would imagine the finish post application is smooth and has some shine?


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind
__________________
Matt
millertimeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by millertimeUS View Post
Andy my 1976's walls are the original off white vinyl coated ones. They are currently removed as I am in the midst of a renovation. I planned on painting them upon reinstall. However perhaps a very thorough cleaning and this wax would yield better long term results? What is your experience with painting over vinyl covered walls?

Given it is a wax I would imagine the finish post application is smooth and has some shine?


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind
No it's got a lot of shine.

Try it on a small spot, a square foot or so, and go from there.

Since it's a floor covering and is good to walk on for a year, then on your walls, it should last a long long time, unless someone is driving you up the walls every day.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:41 PM   #14
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,433
I know what you're going through as we have just updated our 310.
Re vinyling is possibly the way to go but will require a very capable vinyl installer and $$$$.
I recovered all interior gables and the plastic exterior walls in the bathroom and shower. Just doing what we have done WITHOUT touching the inside outer walls has made a huge difference in the apperance of clean and modern. I haven't even touched the tambour units or end caps. A little patina is allways a good thing.

A few pics before and afterwards.

Fred's Airstream Archives @ ViewRVs.com - 1983 Airstream Classic 310 Turbo Diesel Motorhome 31' Motorhome (K)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...s-97332-4.html

PS Ironically, there is more real wood in my coach now than was in it brand new.

Cheers
Tony

A couple of pics of the bathroom before renovation below. A new picture is on page 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01326.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	225465   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01327.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	225466  

__________________

__________________
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting Walls of Bambi Marshall44 Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 13 04-19-2010 02:25 PM
Painting 1984 Excella Walls Aluminumb 1984 -1986 Excella 5 10-22-2007 08:51 AM
Thoughts on painting oak cabinets & walls potatoes Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings 17 01-16-2006 11:56 AM
Painting Interior walls, Ceiling DJbyRequest General Interior Topics 37 05-29-2005 10:51 PM
Painting plastic walls and bathroom sink jwaldin Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 4 11-14-2003 09:37 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.