Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #21
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Hello Sandlapper, You really set the standard for organization. I am afraid that I don’t have near the ability to make the great shelves you installed. However, it was great to see the pictures and admire the best. CU, AP
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #22
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Robert, I like your laid back style. I will try to have a bit more fun....AP
Old 10-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #23
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Rick, that hook is a great back saver. Thanks for that useful tip. AP
Old 10-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #24
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Dear Rodger and Mary Lou, I think your idea of using a bucket is awesome. Extension cords as so heavy but the handles on the bucket will make them so much easier to lift out of the truck bed. Home Depot has some great orange ones. Thanks again, this is so great to be able to share these tips to make camping less work and more fun… AP
Old 10-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #25
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Drew05, Now I have a plan to use the Rubbermaid boxes but without your idea of labeling them I would still be crawling around trying to find stuff. CU,AP
Old 10-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #26
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Rednax, Thanks for the great picture. I had never seen a bar like that to keep stuff from shifting. I think I will try Harbor Freight now that I know what one looks like. Happy Trails, AP
Old 10-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #27
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
50kip, that is a great picture that shows your bed slide. We have one on our truck as well however our slide looks likes like it has stuff thrown all over in total disarray. I haven’t a clue how that happens…AP
Old 10-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
TV Weight Capacity

My 2006 Ford F150 supercab has a rough capacity of 1500#. The ball weight of my AS 19' Intl is roughly 500# (less spare that I carry in truck). So adding up the ball weight, Snugtop, Bedslide, trailer spare, generator, tools, and misc. other items I am about 1200# in the back plus me and junk in the front--about the limit. I have air-bag rear suspension assist to level it all. I have no problems towing and handling since my truck is the same length as my AS.

DonS
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Cargo shift

Airperson, I've had the Bedslide all summer and have had no problems. I got the stripped-down model from Costco website (no longer available) and did not have side rails. I added slotted angle iron to do that job. Honda gen and Weber Q grill are held in place with velcro straps. I use both in place (unless I'm grilling greasy hamburgers). Unless I am travelling on bumpy Forest Service roads, cargo pretty much stays in place.

DonS
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Airperson, half the fun is getting everyones ideas and pick and choose what work s best for you. In the end we wind up with more enjoyable experiences...Drew
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #31
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
50kip
Your post is a good read as we should all pay attention to our loaded weight as it will save us a lot of trouble later on. Cheers, AP
Old 10-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #32
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Drew. You have hit the nail on the head. There are so many options out there to learn about but isn’t it great to be able to make an educated decision. The positive feedback we have shared on this site is indicative of the great people that share a love of the outdoors and camping in their Airstreams. AP
Old 10-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
AP, I'm a woodworker by trade but the shelves I put in could be done by anyone, using "Loweswood" & skill saw. They work well for me. Chocks, jack stand,leveling blocks,hitch grease, WD bars, all the dirty stuff. The cap has the flip up windows so I can reach in & not crawl in. Still have bed open for whatever else. I keep the hoses & cords in the little compartments located along the lower edge of the trailer, street side, where the hook ups are.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #34
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Organizing is allowed?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Only when you are backing in and setting up. That's when everyone is watching (Airstreams do tend to attract attention). After that we return to our normal unorganized self.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 10-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
AirPerson
Sometimes if you get to know your local resturant. NOT MICKY D's or BK,but your real sit down resturant. They buy pickles by the 5 gallon bucket and when empty they throw them away or recycle them. Sometimes you can get em fer free.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Containers are great...but not so great if they hold rain water. I keep a momma bear sized compressor in the truck bed, a spare tire, 150 ft. of airhose, a hand full of tools, a reese hitch we never use...and thats it.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
We are in the process of provisioning now and enjoying every minute of it. When we decided to take the plunge, we knew we'd be spending lots of time (and cash) stocking up on all the "necessities."

In our younger days when we tent-camped, hunted, fished and even backpacked with some frequency, we were definitely "equipment junkies."
Now we are trying to go minimal/light weight and looking for bargains (Walmart, Ikea, etc.) but it surely is a challenge. We can always think of something else that would be good to have..."just in case."

As usual, the forums are an excellent source for ideas and vendors.
Thanks to everyone.

Happy traveling...

2007 23' Safari SE Lounge (IdaJune)
'05 Toyota 4Runner LE 4.7 V8 4WD w/ tow package
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Tin Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have a tonneau cover on our truck (short bed), so planning is necessary, but we have it down pretty good. Much depends on where we are going, if we can have a ground fire, if we can use charcoal, if will we need generators, etc. The heaviest and least-used stuff goes all the way forward in plastic totes...the more often used and lighter stuff goes in the back...

(1) We have a tote that is for emergency things that doesn't usually get used, and always goes with...jack, hazard markers, etc...we also carry a 30 amp extension cord and a heavy duty regular extension cord ad jack stands...and a few select tools...

(2) If
we need gennys, we have one in a Rubbermaid tote that has all the stuff that goes along with a genny...if we need a 2nd genny, it's just in the bed with it's cover on, not in a tote. Then if we take gennys, we need to take two gas containers...a 5 gal and a 2.5 gal (easier to handle/pour)....

(3) If we are allowed to have a campfire we sometimes take firewood (if we are going to an AZ campground), but more and more often these days we are opting to buy firewood at the campground...saves a lot of space and we don't infest other forests with our local bugs.

(4) We have a tote that has things needed for set-up...leveling blocks, a few tools, also the charcoal lighter and fire-starter and misc odds & ends.

(5) Gas OR charcoal grill...we try not to take both, but we've had to a few times when fire restrictions are iffy. Small bag of charcoal if taking the Weber (small rectangular).

(6) Gas lantern & propane canisters for lantern and grill

(7) A small portable microwave if we think we'll use it and we are going to have electricity.

(8) Sewer line support if we are going to have sewer hookup...

(9) Extra 12-packs of soda if there's room, and there usually is...

(10) Extra dog food if we are going to be out long enough to need extra...

(11) Collapsible extra step which we can use for a number of things...

(12) Kid's small folding table (makes a great little patio table) ...

(13) Rug that is light weight enough to fold up rather than roll...lays across the other stuff...

(14) Portable fire pit if there are no fire rings and we can use our own...folds fairly flat so it lays on top of other stuff...

(15) Solar lights on stakes to put around the campsite...we put sand or rocks in tin cans that we painted silver so we can move them around and put them anywhere even if the ground is too hard to stake them...as is often the case in AZ...

Believe it or not, this (or at least most of it) all fits in a short bed truck... IF you pack well... the firewood and microwave are the first to leave behind if you need more room...

If we take a cooler it's in the AS in the middle of the floor on a rug so it doesn't slide around.

And you know what? We still don't always use everything...we could go with less and still be quite comfortable.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Along with most of the stuff mentioned above, I also carry a pair if gardners clippers and a small bow saw to do a little light tree pruning when necessary. Sometimes it must be done discretely, but no one wants a tree branch dragging the length of the trailer as you back in. And the next guy in will love you for it. John