Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #1

2007 22' International CCD
murphys , California
off-roading with airstream

Hi everyone, we are in the process of buying a new trailer, I have been thinking about getting an airstream for awhile and last week we went looking. I have a few questions maybe someone can answer. We live in Calif. near the Nevada border and do a lot of camping off the highways. As I was looking at various trailers I wondered about the ground clearance of Airstream. The areas we go into sometimes have gullys cut across dirt roads and some streams to cross. How would a 23' International handle these situations? I looked under the airstream and there are no skid plates, however I am sold on the quality of construction, and how airtight they are for keeping dust out. If anybody who does some traveling in the dirt could give me some insight I would appreciate it. Thank you .....bob
ryoung1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
To me, it would depend on how severe you are talking. There is NOT a lot of ground clearance and you could run into issue.

Second, the units are not air tight and although the construction is far better than the box trailers, Airstreams too have their own set of issues.

Do a search and take a peek at the model year quality threads here on this forum to get a sense of what is out there.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
You may be a canadate for the Airstream Basecamp
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We take ours out in the desert very often. You need to be aware of where your tank trains are.

You may also want to replace your axles to get a greater angle to give you more ground clearance.

To be honest. Ours does real well on dirt roads but as an offroad trailer....

However as the man told me when I asked the same question. "Wally went from Capetown to Cairo by going slow."

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Thank goodness they have the short c-channel section at the back corners on the frame just in front of the bumper of newer Airstreams. It's meant to deform if you drag -- which is very possible if gas stations don't ramp up their entries and just have the glorified slanted curb. Ditto on the go slow recommendation. I've seen strong advisories against having rollers installed on your back corners.

Responding to SOB norms and market pressures, Airstream started going with larger tanks in about 2004. Might have been a famous member here first reporting it (Twink ... ), but the large capacity is gained by having the tanks project below the belly skin by about 3" or so. Drop down on your knees and note the tanks are only about an inch higher than the middle of the arched axles. Watch out for roads with boulders or the big middle hump.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
There is just so much misery associated with ripping away part of your undercarriage stuff. Airstreams are made to ride low when compared to sobs. Lower center of gravity, better towing stability, less drag at highway speeds. All these things are liabilities if you want to travel rutted roads.

Happy trails. Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #7
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I have a homestead cabin in Johnson Valley CA about 2 miles from pavement. Part of it is graded dirt road, and part has a few ruts which I've been able to straddle. The Airstream does not appear to have a lot of ground clearance but I have done no damage to it. I can safely say the Airstream does not leak dust into it when towed on dirt roads.

I think the Airstream will go to the same places as a 2WD standard passenger car; good or fair dirt roads driven with care.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Dirt roads, fire roads or clear sandy deserts or beaches...yes - no problem, go slow.

Off-road...like 4-wheeling or forging your own way over unseen boulders & such...not for me. I save the 4-wheel stuff for once we get there and un-hitch - then go off 4-wheelin' and have fun! There are plenty of nice places to park off the beaten path but not truly 4-wheelin' to leave the trailer and use as a home base rather than risk getting stranded with a damaged trailer off in some unreachable location w/o cellphone service.

Yes, Wally did forge his own way through the jungles of Africa on caravans...they also traveled with a full crew able to make major repairs (like new axles) along the way and would only travel a couple of miles a day when doing so. Also there were others with them out scouting the way for the group, sometimes building their own roads.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
off-roading with airstream

Ground clearance is not good on my 25'. It is pretty easy to drag the rear end trying to cross little gullies.

A related question is how good are Airstream on washboard gravel roads?
Seems like the vibration would be bad.

I have foregone trying to camp at Chaco Canyon, NM due to the 16 miles of gravel road to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung1738
We live in Calif. near the Nevada border and do a lot of camping off the highways. As I was looking at various trailers I wondered about the ground clearance of Airstream. The areas we go into sometimes have gullys cut across dirt roads and some streams to cross. How would a 23' International handle these situations? .....bob
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Model year makes a difference...

My '98 Safari had much less ground clearance than does my current '72 Globetrotter. Even at that, we would annually go camping at a location that has a 2 mile dirt road that at times gets rough. I had no damage, but did worry. I won't worry this year with the '72.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
A related question is how good are Airstream on washboard gravel roads?
Good question. My experience with washboard is either go very slow < 5 MPH (which is what I do for my short 2 mile drive). Or go somewhere above 35 which tends to smooth out.

But this is in the tow vehicle, not the trailer. If I was doing a lot of washboard, politically correct or not, I'd get in the trailer and observe what is going on at different speeds. Just once to get a feel for what is going on- a single runup and slowdown. It is possible the tandem wheels could have a very positive effect on washboard if the spacing is right.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
As someone else mentioned, this would seem to be the ideal purpose for a new Basecamp. You should really take look at one. Sure, they're not like the traditional trailers, but they are actually designed with rough roads in mind.

And once you've been in one, you'll really be impressed.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
The limiting factor is length in that longer rigs hang up at both ends in sharp dips. That said, we've gone some interesting places in Death Valley and Borrego with the Excella which is 31" ovaerall.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #14
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
The axle ground clearence is not much different than most SOBs.
This issue is a angle of attack and departure. The longer the trailer the lower the angles. The "lower" the overall ground clearence.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
The PO of our Tradewind did a lot of dry camping in mid and eastern Oregon. Although the trailer is sound and has no under carriage damage it was VERY dusty in all the little pockets of space one doesn't normally see. So it is not air tight.

Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
You may also want to replace your axles to get a greater angle to give you more ground clearance.
Can you change out axles for ones with greater angle? Thought that only worked with torsion axles that had worn out and lost their positive angle.

I traded in an off-road pop-up for my 22' CCD. Bought the 22' mainly due to it's ability to get to places a longer trailer can't. I wouldn't think of going to areas with the AS I did in the pop-up. At the same time, about an inch more ground clearance would open up quite a few more possibilities...

Has anyone changed axles on a newer AS for greater ground clearance? Tried a search but didn't come up with anything.... jk
JK3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK3500
Has anyone changed axles on a newer AS for greater ground clearance? Tried a search but didn't come up with anything.... jk
Nevermind. Just did another search and found out you can. Will have to look into that. Would still like to hear from some who have done it. how it rides, issues, etc.

Not looking to add alot. Maybe an inch or so. That with 16" wheels should work out great. jk
JK3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #18

2007 22' International CCD
murphys , California
Thanks for all the info. The spots we travel to in Nevada are around the Black Rock Desert and I can get close (5-10 miles) to the area we like exploring. The roads to this point are probably ok for all trailers, however I like camping next to water (small streams) as it is cooler and you get to see much more wildlife. I looked at the Basecamp and they are not self contained (as in bathroom) and that won't float with the wife. Also I am leaning toward dual axle because of the sharp rocks (lots of obsidian) in the road base and four tires are better than two. This is not 4x4 stuff, just gullys and washouts. The 23' safari and international sleep more than two and seem to have potential....thanks again for all the input. bob
ryoung1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I was on a solo road trip to Iowa with my Safari this week. There was plenty of time for thinking and an old relevant thread came to mind. Get under the trailer and observe the shape and dimension of the empty water tank. Fill the tank and notice how bowed down it has become. This is entirely normal but does increase its vulnerability. This applies only to the newer large tanks that I mentioned in post 5.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Washboard roads have done considerable damage to my Sovereign; axles, shocks, frame damage and loose flooring. It's a 73 and maybe a newer one would fare better. Shorter and lighter I think is also better. I don't think there are any better made trailers than AS, but they are delicate in their own right, especially the skin.

Last summer I saw a small trailer designed for off road. Clearance was 18" to 2 feet! with beefy suspension. Don't remember the brand.

It's hard to have your cake and eat it too. Maybe tow your AS in with a good 4x4 and throw a tent in the back. But of course your wife may not leave the AS.