Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I admit the mere presence of a clamp or "boot" will deter most thieves, however. But if your trailer sits in a public location for sufficient time for the thief to consider what tools he needs.... the trailer can be stolen in short order.

Agree 100%. It's all about prevention and deterring, but if thy want it, they can get it.

Reminds me:

I was fishing remotely in Alaska with friends. It was prime bear country/season and the salmon run was intense, bears everywhere (we were fishing for rainbow trout eating the salmon eggs).

Everyone had huge guns they couldn't carry while fishing, and I had a 9mm pistol. They were laughing and making fun of how the bullet would just bounce off the bear.

The laughter stopped when I told them "oh you think my gun is for the bear, well if the bear starts chasing us, all I need to do is shoot one of you poor bastards in the leg, and the slowest one will get caught, and that won't be me!!

It's relative, if there are many choices to choose from, hopefully the thief will go elsewhere to an easier target if they see the Brahma and a good heavy hitch lock.

Box, I wish you had that video. I tried every way (not moving the trailer) and could not get the arms to swing with the deflated tire.

It's not worth it to me at this point to deflate tire again and try. As you say if they have the time they will get it.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
That's how we discovered the idea of rolling the trailer to a remote spot for cont'd theft.... By rolling the trailer onto one swiveling leg... the lock is pushed further "up" on the collapsing/deflated tire. That leg was then swiveled across the tire tread. Rolling the trailer back the other way allowed a second leg to be swiveled. The lock came right off without further ado.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Wichita Falls , Texas
Roger That !!!!!!!!!!!!
Calltheball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spring Lake , Michigan
We plan to do the following:
Reflective tape on roof
Hitch lock
Internal tracking device
Wheel lock
Leave our dog there - she sounds scary and barks very loudly

....and we ordered a custom awning color, it was $1000 but it will help it stand out.

Our philosophy is to make it look too difficult to steal when in a campground, and to do all we can to locate our rig if stolen. That’s about all you can do - you can do everything possible and still have it stolen. We were in Joshua Tree NP last March when someone had their new Airstream stolen in broad daylight at 3PM!
theBSLodge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:57 PM   #45
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We (as usual) spiraled off into a bit of a diversion. The bottom line is still: Unless you are in a *very* unusual location, stuff does not get stolen. Trailers, tents or TV's going missing? Not so much. Your $2,000 trout rod, $5,000 computer or $600 Yeti cooler might be an exception. Don't leave them (or cash) lying around.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote