Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
Leaving your airstream

Hey all,
My wife and I are new to rv's and will likely be boondocking for our first trip out. We're heading to the Boulder, CO area and campsites are scarce or booked already.
During the day we'll need to leave the site for about 6-8hrs. Do you usually just break camp and head out for the day or do you leave your airstream unattended? If it's unattended, how do you secure it? We'd rather not have ours disappear on us.

Thanks!
YoungishJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Don't know how folks are in CO, but out here in the East, it has not been a problem. We lock the door and I have a little padlock on the bumper storage. I have a long cable lock that I run through the BBQ grill and the folded chairs, attached to the trailer. Never worried about someone hauling the trailer away and from what I see walked though campgrounds, most people do not do anything to secure the trailer tongue. There are plenty of coupler locks available if you use a ball hitch.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
Thanks Larry!
I can't imagine it's much different there. It's just a large investment so we're nervous about just leaving it. Lol.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
The issue concerning security is an interesting one, and something we pondered when we started RV'ing fairly recently ourselves. We do leave our trailer unattended when we go for the day. I've taken a few precautions such as purchasing a lockable hitch cover, a propane tank lock, and padlocks for the spare tire and tow chains but none of these will stop a determined thief. Plus I lock up stuff like my generators, portable solar, and BBQ in the trailer or take them with me in the truck. My hope is to slow down the more casual criminal and make my trailer a little harder to mess with than the next guy's. Ultimately, I rely on the fact that stolen trailers are relatively rare and that I have a good insurance policy.

Mike

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Lock up the small stuff and trailer is covered by insurance
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I would not worry myself but this was covered in a previous thread about the use of a spot type device mounted somewhere discrete.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I have a hitchlock (proven industries), a gps fracker, and the Brahma wheel lock. The wheel lock only gets used when I am way out in the boonies and I leave for a full day or two. I lock up stuff in trailer that is considered valuable when I leave. In a camp ground, usually just the hitch lock.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Leave trailer behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungishJedi View Post
Hey all,
My wife and I are new to rv's and will likely be boondocking for our first trip out. We're heading to the Boulder, CO area and campsites are scarce or booked already.
During the day we'll need to leave the site for about 6-8hrs. Do you usually just break camp and head out for the day or do you leave your airstream unattended? If it's unattended, how do you secure it? We'd rather not have ours disappear on us.

Thanks!
Do you have a trailer or motorhome?

I have a trailer. I live near Boulder and camp in campgrounds and National Forest boondocking sites in Colorado and elsewhere. I feel comfortable leaving the trailer behind during an outing. I do put a padlock on the hitch, and I stow any valuable items in the trailer or tow vehicle while I am gone.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Do you have a trailer or motorhome?

We are picking up our new basecamp, hopefully, next Friday. Thanks for the info! Good to know it will generally be safe.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
In 20 years of camping around the country, I've never had things stolen. I even left coolers outside on the picnic table.
But I always camped in campgrounds, not boondocking.
In Bolder, Co., you'll be in a very upscale area so it's not exactly Miami or Detroit.
I'd put a strong hitch lock on, and enjoy myself.
Don't ruin the experience by overthinking your fears.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Do the best you can in securing your trailer, have quality insurance and keep your fingers crossed.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I don't think it is enough of an issue to lose sleepover - though maybe it is if you boondock, we don't have experience with that - only with regular campgrounds parks.

We just do what makes sense to us - lock up the trailer, lock bikes if we are leaving them, don't leave too much loose stuff lying around, and go!

We don't generally worry about securing a BBQ / outdoor chairs, or even an Koolatron full of beer left outside!

I might be a bit more wary if camping in a city where non-campersand who knows who have easy access, but as a rule, I do believe that your fellow campers are a pretty honest bunch ...... well, I will continue to think so until proven wrong anyway!

I must admit I have never given a thought to locking the hitch on the trailer, but then we do have a Hensley hitch which makes things a bit more difficult to hook up and go!

I do leave the stinger for the hitch lying on the ground, but good luck to the thief who has never hooked up a Hensley before!

If he/she manages it - well there is the insurance!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #13
maa
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungishJedi View Post
Hey all,

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, where are you planning to boondock? We are heading to the Boulder area and need to be as close to Boulder as possible but I haven't found any campgrounds. Thanks!
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:57 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
The plan is to see if there are any cancelations at some of the sites as well as the availability of some of the first come first serve locations. If that doesn't pan out then we're heading either up to Dream Canyon or the Sugarloaf area.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:58 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
ABQ , New Mexico
Check out http://freecampsites.net for places in the area.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
While camping in a large RV park in Rockport... an adjoining neighbor at an Airstream Rally lost his TWO YETI COOLERS in the middle of the night to thieves ... and the coolers were secured with a chain and lock to the trailer.

I don't purchase YETI coolers and use cheap Coleman/Igloo types and have never lost a cooler.

When boondocking I have a 30' cut-resistant cable which I run thru both wheels spokes and lock the generator and Magma BBQ kettle with a good disc lock which is hard to cut with bolt cutters because it only crushes the lock and jams the innards. Not only does the cable make it harder to steal the loose items, but it also makes it troublesome to steal wheels which now also won't turn due to the cable, making it difficult to pull the trailer away also. My LP tanks have a lock on them, and my tow-chains are wrapped around the A-frame and locked also to prevent their use. Another lock is on the ball hitch.

No... all that won't keep a determined and well-equipped thief who has time to steal it all... but those multiple-locked items are discouraging and do take time to defeat.

I also leave a highly-visible note on the door to Law Enforcement as to how to contact me via cell phone and mention I'm only a short distance away should there be any need for me to return quickly.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
This what we use while storing it at the house, and when we leave the camp site. It "should" deter most thieves.

We also lock the doors, and have the dogs inside (with the AC of course.)

http://immobilize.com/hikashop-menu-...r-coupler-lock
Old 08-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Camping in tents you really don't have very many choices. The same is true of soft side popups. Anybody with a knife can enter your "dwelling". We've left all sorts of stuff at camp sites over the last 60 years. I can't ever remember anything going missing. That's not to say it could not happen. It just has never happened to us.

The unfortunate fact is that somebody who really wants to steal your gear can do so easily. Cables and typical locks are a <10 second delay to somebody with a disk grinder / wheel cutter. You probably will do better simply keeping things out of sight than by any other approach. A tarp over the expensive stuff may be a better investment than fancy locks.

Yes, somebody *can* haul away your trailer. They are going to have to get the front jack operating and get the stabilizers off the ground. They also need to match up with your hitch. None of this is impossible, but it takes time. Hanging around is *not* something these guys like to do. Once they grab it, they have a very unique item that is a bit tough to turn into quick cash. It would be interesting to see the actual statistics on Airstreams being stolen in the US. I'd bet a six pack that it's a very rare thing.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

It would be interesting to see the actual statistics on Airstreams being stolen in the US. I'd bet a six pack that it's a very rare thing.

Bob
I think a lot of it depends on your location and how long the trailer is left.

I read an article a while back that said RV thefts were very high in parts of Texas and Florida. Many in Texas are stolen near the border. Sometimes the thieves take them right from a campground or park, but I believe the majority are stolen from RV storage sites.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
I think a lot of it depends on your location and how long the trailer is left.

I read an article a while back that said RV thefts were very high in parts of Texas and Florida. Many in Texas are stolen near the border. Sometimes the thieves take them right from a campground or park, but I believe the majority are stolen from RV storage sites.
Hi

If they are being grabbed from storage sites that suggests a lack of security at those sites, regardless of what the owners are or are not doing.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote