Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #21
Aftermarket supplier
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Duncanville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teton Stream View Post
Just returned from 10 day trip around Wyoming and western South Dakota. We were boondocking in National and State Parks about 70% of the time and therefore on battery power. I left the Honda in the rack the whole time, simply removed the cover, cranked it up and charged the batteries. No more noise than having the generator on the ground. No exhaust issues in the trailer. Know that you cannot power the A/C with the 2000i unit. You can power the convection oven through the inverter although I do not know how healthy that is for the batteries. Overall it works very well. The only hassle is dealing with the cord, would be nice to have a hard wired plug in the A-Frame area. Don't forget to buy the Honda waterproof cover for the unit. It gets pretty wet back there when on the road in the rain.
Glad our lock system is working out for you.
Please note that despite what the video shows in the original post, we have now switched over to matt black baseplates - for looks and even more durability.

Thanks,

Jim
widgetwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #22

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
I would love to not have to carry it in the Suburban with me but what about all the controversy about mounting items (especially heavy ones) to the frame?
Thanks
LilNomad
Admonitions against mounting items to the frame (or rear bumper) refer to the frame aft of the axles, not the A-frame at the tongue. You could certainly come up with ways to overload the A-frame but reasonable things like a 2kw generator or a bike rack aren't going to be a problem.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thank you very much for the Low Pro update. I'm sold! I am aware the 2000i will not power the AC, however, do you know if it will it power the microwave? Lastly, do you use the generator to recharge your batteries + power the AS? Or do you use the inverter power until your batteries run low and then recharge with the generator?
lionelc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #24
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelc1 View Post
Thank you very much for the Low Pro update. I'm sold! I am aware the 2000i will not power the AC, however, do you know if it will it power the microwave? Lastly, do you use the generator to recharge your batteries + power the AS? Or do you use the inverter power until your batteries run low and then recharge with the generator?
We ran the microwave thru the inverter to power the microwave. But normally we ran the AS thru the batteries and then recharged the batteries.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Gotcha. About how long did you have to run the Honda to recharge your batteries?
Old 06-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #26
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
With all LED lights in the trailer I rarely get the batteries down below half even after 3/4 days. So a generator charge only lasts about 1 to 1.5 hours max. No idea what a charge time would be from near zero battery level.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Last question. I promise! Since you are simply charging your batteries, would a Honda 1000i work as well? We have solar panels on our AS and will be in Yosemite for 6 days so I'm trying to figure out if I need the 2000i because a friend is willing to loan me his 1000i
Old 06-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Send a message via AIM to MYater Send a message via Yahoo to MYater Send a message via Skype™ to MYater
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelc1 View Post
Last question. I promise! Since you are simply charging your batteries, would a Honda 1000i work as well? We have solar panels on our AS and will be in Yosemite for 6 days so I'm trying to figure out if I need the 2000i because a friend is willing to loan me his 1000i
Borrow the 1000. It should have plenty of juice for charging. And you'll have saved some cash.

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
MYater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:16 AM   #29
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
I would say it should have no problem. The beauty of this mount is that all one need to do to fasten it to the "base plate" (which locks into the mounted base) is remove the rubber feet, align base plate over the feet bolt holes and re-install the feet (through the base plate). If the 1000 and the 2000 feet template are the same you are golden.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Very nice installation. Unfortunately there is not enough room to mount a 2000i that has the tri-fuel conversion.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #31
Aftermarket supplier
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Duncanville , Texas
Quote:
I would say it should have no problem. The beauty of this mount is that all one need to do to fasten it to the "base plate" (which locks into the mounted base) is remove the rubber feet, align base plate over the feet bolt holes and re-install the feet (through the base plate). If the 1000 and the 2000 feet template are the same you are golden.
That wont work.
The 1000 is significantly slimmer than the 2000 so the security aspect will be lost. A lot of work went into getting the 2000 mount just right.

jim
Old 06-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
If you bolted to the flanges of the battery box, how did you get nuts on the bolts?
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #33
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
Drilled through both the battery box cover and the box flange. Bolt the bottom (receiver) section of the generator mount to the Battery Box, no problem feeding bolts through drilled holes and tighten nuts to secure.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
San Antonio , Texas
Based on what I read in other RV threads the EU2000 (which I also own) only puts out 8 amps with unregulated voltages, even with the special Honda "battery charging cord". I'm reading this thread with interest due to my imminent 65 Caravel purchase, but now I have doubts…

edit: 12v charging
Jeepers! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
I don't mean to be obtuse, Teton Stream, but my battery box, also a 2013 20" FC, has battery box flanges bent INWARD, that is, into the box, toward the batteries. This would place the nuts in the box and impossible to reach. Or am I missing something?
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #36
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
Interesting, mine are bent outwards.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #37

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers! View Post
Based on what I read in other RV threads the EU2000 (which I also own) only puts out 8 amps with unregulated voltages, even with the special Honda "battery charging cord". I'm reading this thread with interest due to my imminent 65 Caravel purchase, but now I have doubts…

edit: 12v charging
As far as I know, none of the mainstream generators are great for battery charging directly (from the 12v output), but they'll run the converter-charger (or a regular battery charger) just fine. As long as your trailer is set up to charge its own batteries when on shore power you should be able to get just as much charging amperage on a 2k inverter generator as you do on 30A shore power.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Teton Stream,

If bolts go through battery box cover and mounting flanges, does this mean you can't open the battery box?

Also, are bolt heads and/or nuts exposed? Could a thief remove mounting bolts and take generator? (However, I assume the thief would also have to remove the battery box cover's hinge, too.)
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #39
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
Yes, you must remove the receiver plate to access the battery box. I have only accessed the battery yearly to add water and check battery connections so I did not see this as a terminal (sorry the pun) issue. The head are not exposed for they are concealed by the generator secured on top of receiver plate. (I apologize to engineering for bastardizing the terminology of your unit!) I do not believe a thief could remove the unit as installed and locked. The hinge has no impact on the security of the unit.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:12 AM   #40
Aftermarket supplier
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Duncanville , Texas
Quote:
...The head are not exposed for they are concealed by the generator secured on top of receiver plate. (I apologize to engineering for bastardizing the terminology of your unit!) I do not believe a thief could remove the unit as installed and locked. The hinge has no impact on the security of the unit.
With access to just the nuts, the unit remains secure. The mounting bolts just spin if you try to remove the nuts. One day we will get around to making a video that shows this....

Jim