Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Boondocking (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f382/)
-   -   Honda EU2000i Generator Mount for Bambi (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f382/honda-eu2000i-generator-mount-for-bambi-120228.html)

Teton Stream 05-24-2014 03:16 PM

Honda EU2000i Generator Mount for Bambi

I have found a very good, lockable mount for a Honda EU2000i generator on my 2013 20' Bambi Flying Cloud. The link to Low Pro Lockdown is: LowPro LockDown. Keep what’s yours.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuB1edMjeh4

The mounting plate can attach to the battery box. (Yes you have to remove the mounting plate to access the batteries.) The fit is tight being right behind the propane container, but it makes for a very compact system. I can reach my hand around to access the choke, on/off switch, and the pull handle. You are pulling the start cord at a 90 degree angle to the generator but it is a Honda and starts easily. Purchase the Honda cover for the generator and between the propane container and the cover the unit is well protected from road and weather.

Airrogant 05-24-2014 11:32 PM

Wow - that is a good find. Thank you for sharing. Would you have time to post some pics of your install?

Now I need to decide if I go for an extra battery or for your LockDown.

Teton Stream 05-25-2014 10:43 AM

Yes, Not going to be around the rig for a week or so, but will post when I am next on the road in the Toaster!

Al and Missy 05-26-2014 09:52 AM

Quoting Will Smith from "Independence Day", "I got to get me one of those."

Al

chaeha 05-26-2014 03:38 PM

Anyone have any idea what kind of propane tank cover/tray that is shown in the photo?

widgetwizard 05-27-2014 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaeha (Post 1460572)
Anyone have any idea what kind of propane tank cover/tray that is shown in the photo?

We make those (and other things..) for Casitas
perfectcasita.com

Jim

Teton Stream 06-03-2014 06:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Airrogant (Post 1459874)
Wow - that is a good find. Thank you for sharing. Would you have time to post some pics of your install?

Now I need to decide if I go for an extra battery or for your LockDown.

Here is the installation complete. The one Con is you have to unbolt the baseplate to get to the battery box. You can access Choke, On/Off Switch and Pull Chord while it is mounted without removing anything. I cover it with the Honda cover while traveling.

LiLNomad 06-03-2014 07:34 PM

I would love to not have to carry it in the Suburban with me but what about all the controversy about mounting items (especially heavy ones) to the frame?
Thanks
LilNomad

Sbb 06-03-2014 07:34 PM

Thinking of getting this...is it sAfe to run the generator there on the tongue as far as fumes are concerned? Where do u keep gas can?

Phoenix 06-03-2014 07:39 PM

I assume that since the lock is strong enough to keep someone from stealing the generator, that the Honda won't fall off during driving. Do you think the battery-box lid-hinge and lock are strong enough not to come off, too?

Looks like a nice installation; please let us know how this works out for you after a few thousand miles on the road.

Thanks for posting installation and photos!

Teton Stream 06-03-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLNomad (Post 1464335)
I would love to not have to carry it in the Suburban with me but what about all the controversy about mounting items (especially heavy ones) to the frame?
Thanks
LilNomad

At 46 lbs I am not terribly worried about the added weight. It is not mounted to the frame but the battery box which is stoutly attached inside the A-Frame. I will post feedback after 1,000 miles and beyond.

Teton Stream 06-03-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sbb (Post 1464336)
Thinking of getting this...is it sAfe to run the generator there on the tongue as far as fumes are concerned? Where do u keep gas can?

As long as the front window is not open when you run it I would not think there should be a problem. Remember, you can unlock it from the mount and move it away from the rig, quite flexible.

Teton Stream 06-03-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix (Post 1464337)
I assume that since the lock is strong enough to keep someone from stealing the generator, that the Honda won't fall off during driving. Do you think the battery-box lid-hinge and lock are strong enough not to come off, too?

Looks like a nice installation; please let us know how this works out for you after a few thousand miles on the road.

Thanks for posting installation and photos!

I actually drilled into the flange of the actual battery box itself. It has 1/2" lips on either side of the box.There is no stress or torque on the lid or hinge.

Will do after 1,000 and beyond.

Mexray 06-03-2014 10:05 PM

Wow...That LowPro Lockdown rig looks like a GREAT value for $200...!

Rugged construction, smooth finish...good job..!

MYater 06-04-2014 01:09 AM

Now my gears are turning again. Thanks! :-)

xrvr 06-04-2014 06:03 AM

Appears that it would be simple to create a tube to direct exhaust fumes in any direction you pleased if that were a problem. Jim

Airrogant 06-05-2014 12:20 AM

That turned out very nice. Thank you for sharing and for including the pics.

handn 06-07-2014 05:25 PM

What about noise and vibration? I keep mine on the ground a few feet away from the trailer with the exhaust pipe pointed away. It is almost inaudible.

lionelc1 06-10-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teton Stream (Post 1464391)
I actually drilled into the flange of the actual battery box itself. It has 1/2" lips on either side of the box.There is no stress or torque on the lid or hinge.

Will do after 1,000 and beyond.

Hey there, we are taking a trip to Yellowstone next month and I'm thinking about purchasing a Honda 2000i and the Low Pro Mount you have on your Bambi. I'm wondering how the set up has performed for you so far? Do you leave the generator on your Bambi when you're away from the trailer? Has the system posed any inconveniences for you so far? Are you 100% happy with the set up? Thank uou😄

Teton Stream 06-11-2014 07:21 AM

Just returned from 10 day trip around Wyoming and western South Dakota. We were boondocking in National and State Parks about 70% of the time and therefore on battery power. I left the Honda in the rack the whole time, simply removed the cover, cranked it up and charged the batteries. No more noise than having the generator on the ground. No exhaust issues in the trailer. Know that you cannot power the A/C with the 2000i unit. You can power the convection oven through the inverter although I do not know how healthy that is for the batteries. Overall it works very well. The only hassle is dealing with the cord, would be nice to have a hard wired plug in the A-Frame area. Don't forget to buy the Honda waterproof cover for the unit. It gets pretty wet back there when on the road in the rain.