Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Collision damage - repair recommendations?

'16 23D Flying Cloud. Sideswiped by someone not paying attention. Repair is all on them.

Took it back to the dealer (AS Northwest in Portland). Ballpark $18k estimate. Interior & exterior panels need to go, as well as the rock guard.

I'm mildly concerned about replacing skin and keeping the integrity of the trailer, especially one so new.

Do I have any other good options to look into in the PNW? Jackson Center really isn't an option.

Anything I should keep in mind when dealing with their insurance? Loss of value? Stuff like that?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181005_150508.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	324844  
Troy McLure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
If they have to physically replace interior panels as well as the obvious external panel damage, I'd insist on the use of 'bucked rivets' as this was the original method of installing the panels on the exterior.

Don't let them simply overlay the exterior panels and use "Olympic rivets" which are basically a fancy 'pop rivet' and do not seal as tightly as a 'bucked rivet'.

Putting it back together using bucked rivets and appropriate replacement panels from the Airstream factory would be as good as new. My only remaining concern is that some internal frames or longerons could have been damaged as well, but that would be obvious once they start taking it apart.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I agree about usage of rivets but I would contact JC about repairs & est. as I damaged front corner & dealer that has god shop stated have to remove interior to get at studs and longeron. Jc stated no need to remove interior as studs are replaceable from out side & longeron not damaged. I watched tech at JC when opened up, were rite on w/estimate & method of repair, plus many thousands est. below dealer, stuck w/ est. costs no extras exc. leak I requested fixed, as far as telling repair can not tell was fixed exc. new corner no road rash, other corner has minor rash so not much dif. in looks.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote