Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
A rivet fell out!

Cleaning the Safari SE after a trip we found a rivet on the floor. It came out of the interior wall near the door. I guess I'll have to figure out if it just held two sheets of aluminum or it it also anchored to a stud of some sort. It looks like a regular old pop rivet, but I recall reading discussions about types of rivets and am not sure if that was just an interior/exterior thing. Any suggestions?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
The interior is riveted with pop rivets. Try another one in the same place.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Wayne&Sam,
From our experience that is very normal. Especially above the door. I would have your dealer replace it under warranty (being done on ours right now). I have a theory that it is related to frame flex when using a weight distributing hitch.
-KL
Old 06-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Might also want to check the balance on your tires.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
The rivet is maybe 3/4" long, so I don't think it just held two sheets of metal. Either it went through something else and the long shank allowed enough flex for it to fail or it just wasn't put in right.

Dealer is nearly three hours away so maybe I'll call get their advce and just pop a new one in.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:44 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
The rivet is maybe 3/4" long, so I don't think it just held two sheets of metal. Either it went through something else and the long shank allowed enough flex for it to fail or it just wasn't put in right.

Dealer is nearly three hours away so maybe I'll call get their advce and just pop a new one in.
Make sure you use an aluminum rivet, you don't want to start dissimilar metal corrosion on such a young trailer.
I had to replace quite a few rivets in our trailer, none had ever been replaced.
The advice about tire balancing is sound, even if they were factory balanced, one or more tires could have shucked a weight, causing a vibraqtion., Lost rivets are one of the first signs of out of balance tires and running gear.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
Did you find where it came out? We took delivery of a new trailer and after a couple trips I found a rivet head on the floor, but haven't located where it came from yet. I am thinking it was left over debris from the factory. I found a lot of shavings and stuff like that. It made me thing the factory had a few slobs working for them. That subject is for another thread...another day.

Sam
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
The purpose of rivets is to secure the metal to an internal trailer rib or other support structure in the trailer. The only time you will see rivets holding together two sheets of metal is when someone missed the rib but the rivet will probably haven fallen out by then!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Sam- yes we found the hole with the misiing rivet.

Yukionna- Yes, it is at a place when sheets are not over lapping. Also, the length of the rivet makes me thing it's grabbing soemthing that's 3/4" away from the sheetmetal. I'll check it out over the weekend.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Saw the same thing on a brand new 2006 25' FB unit at an RV show. It was missing the rivet up near the front entry door on the ceiling....of course, even Artisans (as Airstream calls them) can't always be 100% on the rivets.......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #12
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
POP goes the Wheezel

Invest in a hand pop rivet gun (under $50 bucks) and an assortment of Aluminum pop rivets. You'll be surprised at the many uses you will find for it.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
I have a pop rivet tool, I'm just concerned about re-riveting it blind- not knowing if I'm catching the right pieces inside the wall. It would be nice to know the construction in there.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
I have a pop rivet tool, I'm just concerned about re-riveting it blind- not knowing if I'm catching the right pieces inside the wall. It would be nice to know the construction in there.
I wouldn't worry about it...I would just do it (as long as you know how to use the rivet gun and to choose the correct size and type of rivet). You aren't going to hurt anything (the hole is already there, right?).

You can tell where the ribs are by looking at the line of other rivets. Start on the outside and it is easy to see.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
I should start a poll- Who is tired of hearing about my rivet?

Anyway I finally had time to poke around a bit and realized it does just go into a rib, but there is a 1/2 inch space or so between the sheet metal and the rib. The hole in the sheet and the hole in the rib were all lined uo, so I popped a new rivet in and I won't worry so much next time.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Anyway I finally had time to poke around a bit and realized it does just go into a rib, but there is a 1/2 inch space or so between the sheet metal and the rib. The hole in the sheet and the hole in the rib were all lined uo, so I popped a new rivet in and I won't worry so much next time.
Woohoo! Great news! I'm happy it all worked out for you!

I can empathize with you as I was worried too when I purchased my first trailer. By joining this forum, you have taken the first big step on the road to recovery!

Old 06-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
Quote:
I should start a poll- Who is tired of hearing about my rivet?
Rivets are just a part of life.

I like the suggestions on keeping a Pop Rivet gun and some rivets handing with us all the time. I've notice some loose rivets since we've taken delivery of our trailer. I guess their bound to come loose. Every time we drive these things down the road, they get a good shake rattle and roll.

Sam
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream
Invest in a hand pop rivet gun (under $50 bucks) and an assortment of Aluminum pop rivets. You'll be surprised at the many uses you will find for it.
Is there a suggested assortment of rivets (sizes, types, aluminum of course, etc.) that one should carry for making repairs on the road?

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Hmm. Today I noticed the same rivet popped out again. Should I keep replacing it, or just leave it out? Will leaving it out add to the flex and cause more to pop?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
A Very Riviting Discussion

Could be that the 1/2" gap you mentioned is too great for the rivit to draw together properly. Something you may want to bring to the dealers attention. One thing you must be careful of is not to enlarge the existing hole, a larger dia. rivit would look out of place. My wife spotted them right away on our previous trlr!!
Not to change the subject, but there are no longer any A/S dealers in NY, is your selling drlr. out of state??