Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
Canfield , Ohio
What is this supposed to look like???

See the top left...above the flamingo? What are those holes for? What is the cabinet configuration suppose to look like? We have the original counter top it came with the rig but it seems someone shortened the cabinets cause now it hangs over really far. What did the original fridge look like in a 62? Was it tall? Yes I am full of Questions! Thanks,
Heather
Hamb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Hi Heather, your Ambassador is 4 feet longer than my Tradewind, but some things will look similar. I think the latches on the left cabinetry are original, so I'm guessing that configuration was original to your trailer. Not sure that the drawer pulls are original, but hard to tell in the pic. I don't know about your wires above the flamingo, could be for some aftermarket add-on, but not sure. Here is was my 1960 fridge looks like. It would probably be similar to your original.
Click image for larger version

Name:	forumDSCN4347.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	30005 Hopefully a vintage Ambassordor expert will offer help soon. BTW, that's a nice looking trailer.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
Canfield , Ohio
Thank you for your picture and kind words.

After we bought our AS we found out it was used as an example on Vintageairstream.com This is exactly how we found it. Some PO before the last PO thought it would be nice to update it with 80's lighting, drawer pulls, and carpet. Some drawer pulls original ones are still intact but not many.

You can look at more pictures of it here.

62Ambassador

The cabinets in question are not bolted down. The small one is something for a small fridge to sit on. I have a feeling the one with the drawers goes along side the wall with the holes. Are they reversed?
Heather
Hamb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamb7
. . . . The cabinets in question are not bolted down. The small one is something for a small fridge to sit on. I have a feeling the one with the drawers goes along side the wall with the holes. Are they reversed?
Heather
That crossed my miind, that maybe there were reversed. Then, its odd to me that drawers and hatches with latches like you would find in the bed or bath area would be installed in the galley. Is it possible that someone disassembled then reinstalled the casework in non-factory locations? Then too, you have more footage so that additional casework and location may have been the standard.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:42 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Most fridges only have a short electric cord, so it looks like somebody moved the cabinet by the pantry out toward the door, maybe to allow the new fridge's electric cord to fit. If you look at the base of the flamingo's neck, you will see a horizontal line there. It seems to be the same height as the cabinet that is now by the door. Our Overlander has the fridge by the door, and the electrical outlet for the fridge in the bedroom, of all places. I just made a custom-length extension cord. It seemed like less trouble than rearranging cabinetry...
Old 12-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you look at other photos on the same Vintage Airstream site you will see some in this era set up this way. The cabinets as they are in yours and the fridge where the short base is. If I had to guess the base is the addition. The fridge would have been a "taller" model since this trailer was meant for long distance travel (according to Vintage Airstream). I'd say the base was added after the fact to support a shorter (cheaper) fridge at some point. In the original a counter top would have gone across both. Thus the line previously mentioned.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote