Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Front End Twin Beds

My 66 Safari is a twin bed model. I don't have cushions that fit the curve of the trailer in front (on either side of the dinette). What I have are square cushions that only go "so far" towards the front of the coach, leaving a void where the curve is.

Does anyone know if the original coach would have had curved cushions to fit the front end, therefore creating the "twin" bed environment, or, do You do what I do..........take the table down, lay the square cushions across the hole and make a double bed out of it all?

Hope this question makes sense. I have had too many friends freak out at having to sleep on the small twin bed area that the square cushions provide and it is quite a production to take the table down, make the double bed configuration etc.....

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I don't know if this will help, but this link in the VAC online library has the cutaways for the 1966 models. It's hard to tell if the Safari twin had curved cushions from the images. I'm fairly sure it was originally intended that the table be removed and the back cushions of the dinnete were placed in between to make a double bed. But someone with more vintage Safari experience may know for certain.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Yes, the cushions usually go all the way to the front and follow the curve. Check out these:

'66 Safari - Twins #1
'66 Safari - Twins #2

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
I have the same beds, the #2 link shows. The plywood slides few inches to the center, making the bed wider. Looks to me that #1 might make full bed?
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks for the replies folks!

Looks like I will need to either have all new cushions made to fit, or, I may just have foam cut for the curved parts and cover it to match what I already have. From the looks of #1 it appears that it may be a comfortable place to sleep as twin beds.

The bed on the curbside has a slide out that goes across the doorway to make it longer. The part on the streetside is already as long as the curbside part (extended).

Does anyone (Shari....please, please... ) have a lead for decent foam prices in our part of the country?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
You could buy it here and build up the thickness you want. They are "seconds" but we just purchased twin mattress toppers from them and they were fine.

eBay Seller: mrs.foam: Bedding, Parts Accessories items on eBay Motors
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You have lots of options when it comes to foam.

Here's a thread that discusses a couple of mail order locations and a link to Foam Source here in Boulder where I plan on getting ours later this spring.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks so much Shari!! I will check out the company in Boulder.

Have a great day!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Hello. For what it is worth, I have a "76 Soverign and it has curved mattresses and cushions. We use tied double sheets. Tied doubles are actually the more secure and easier than anything else to get on. Those ends in the Airstream are really hard to get sheets on. . It is a technique we learned when cruising on Celebrity Cruise Lines. They flip the bunk mattress up, put a double ordinary flat sheet on the underside, tie the ends corner to corner (kiddy-corner) until they are tight, don't double knot, flib the mattress back over. You can do the same with the top sheet only use a single and tie it across the bottom of the bed. After struggling with the bottom and tob sheets for ages I am currently working on a bungie system that will be even easier: gromets on the ends of the sheets, sewed in like you would sew in a button hole, and weight bungie cords (the kind they sell for travelers) kiddy/corner. Either way, these techniques are very easy and a whole lot easier than either putting a single fitted sheet on, or trying to tuck in single or a double and a lot less time consuming than making sheets for the suckers.

Our top mattresess are made of good quality foam covered with ordinary ticking and cut to fit.I can't believe the quality is so good that they are the original foam. Only the ticking was worn out. If you intend to keep your mattresses, as we did, we made sleeves for the mattresses ot of new ticking, available from most fabric stores, and cut off a pattern from the old ticking. It was an easy way to go. BTW:A good way to cut new foam is with a hot knife: sold in hobby shops.

Have fun, Joan
JLD1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
WOW!!!! Thanks Joan

Great ideas......I am going to round up the new foam first and then use your ideas to see how they work. Can't wait to get it all done and have folks sleep in better comfort!!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Dual coil Serta

You might want to avoid all the troubles with too hard/soft foam and see about the dual coil spring Serta mattresses with curved corners that they make for newer Airstream trailers. Check with the factory store or an Airstream dealer. IMHO these innerspring dualcoil mattresses beat the heck out of foam for comfort and they serve well as seat cushions for the front dinette as well! You may have to have an upholstery shop make you covers or just use heavy weight throws to cover the seat during the dinette use but boy do they sleep good when in the bed mode. The short one near the door can have a (Mini) mattress to give you the full bed length when extended. You can then use throw pillows as seat back cushions. You can have a local mattress shop make up custom curved mattresses for around $100.00 extra over their base price but the dual coil springs would be above normal mattress price. Check it out and I bet you'll like them too! Don't skimp! Treat yourself right! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote