Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravelle > 1980 Caravelle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
24ft Caravelle

Hi all,

Does anyone know what is the loaded hitch weight of a 24 ft 1980 Caravelle? Airstream website has the dry hitch weight as 347#, but I am interested to know the loaded hitch weight to see if my TV can handle it.

Thanks a lot!
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The difference between dry weight and loaded weight is how much stuff you put in it.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know what is the loaded hitch weight of a 24 ft 1980 Caravelle? Airstream website has the dry hitch weight as 347#, but I am interested to know the loaded hitch weight to see if my TV can handle it.

Thanks a lot!
The only way to determine loaded tongue weight is to load the trailer and weigh the tongue. And the dry tongue weight is more of an educated guess than fact, it can be a hundred pounds or more off.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
tongue weight should be 10- 15% total weight... You say 24 foot but it is 23 or 25 foot and that gives you three possibilities. Not sure which you have...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
tongue weight should be 10- 15% total weight... You say 24 foot but it is 23 or 25 foot and that gives you three possibilities. Not sure which you have...
Airstream offered a 24 foot Caravel for 1980, though I have never seen one in person.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
The difference between dry weight and loaded weight is how much stuff you put in it.
That is correct. However, the 347# dry hitch weight on Airstream website is not helpful as it does not include optional equipment and variable weight.

I guess what I want to know is the hitch weight with 1) propane tanks filled, 2) batteries, 3) spare tire, 4) fresh water tank full, and any other accessory that might affects the hitch weight. This way I would know how much stuff I can put in it without going over my TV's hitch weight limit (which is 600#).
Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
A 24 ft TT was offered in 1980. Here is the link.

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...9e44a02f5d.pdf

Just go to the last page.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
My mistake, I was searching under Airstream Caravel, not Argosy Minuet. I hope you find the info you need.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Curious - is this one of the rare front kitchen models, or the more typical front-dinette, center bed mdoels?

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Curious - is this one of the rare front kitchen models, or the more typical front-dinette, center bed mdoels?

Tom
Yes, its front kitchen(and rare!)
Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
I guess what I want to know is the hitch weight with 1) propane tanks filled, 2) batteries, 3) spare tire, 4) fresh water tank full, and any other accessory that might affects the hitch weight. This way I would know how much stuff I can put in it without going over my TV's hitch weight limit (which is 600#).
First of all, congratulations on having a 1980 Caravelle 24. You have a rare bird there, and a very nice trailer. They only made Caravelles for one year--1980--and (for Frank's benefit ) they are essentially all-aluminum Argosy Minuets.

We have a 1980 22 foot Caravelle and our loaded tongue weight runs around 400 pounds.

The biggest thing that affects the tongue weight is the fullness of the fresh water tank, as that's 25 gallons (200 pounds) and located right at the front of the shell. Unless I am going to need a full fresh water tank at the destination I travel with fresh water tank half full (and waste tanks empty) and use a little less spring tension on the weight distribution bars.

How does a spare tire enter into it? Do yours have a spare tire carrier? Our 22 foot doesn't. We carry the spare in the tow vehicle.

Bottom line is I doubt the 24 foot Caravelle will exceed your 600 pound tongue weight limit.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Yes, its front kitchen(and rare!)
Oooh! Have never seen one of those in person - Colin Hyde just finished restoring one for a client. Sweet floor plan with the two L-shaped couches and tons of windows. Enjoy that trailer!

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
First of all, congratulations on having a 1980 Caravelle 24. You have a rare bird there, and a very nice trailer. They only made Caravelles for one year--1980--and (for Frank's benefit ) they are essentially all-aluminum Argosy Minuets.

We have a 1980 22 foot Caravelle and our loaded tongue weight runs around 400 pounds.

The biggest thing that affects the tongue weight is the fullness of the fresh water tank, as that's 25 gallons (200 pounds) and located right at the front of the shell. Unless I am going to need a full fresh water tank at the destination I travel with fresh water tank half full (and waste tanks empty) and use a little less spring tension on the weight distribution bars.

How does a spare tire enter into it? Do yours have a spare tire carrier? Our 22 foot doesn't. We carry the spare in the tow vehicle.

Bottom line is I doubt the 24 foot Caravelle will exceed your 600 pound tongue weight limit.
Thanks a lot for the useful info. Just to clarify, I do not have a 24 ft Caravelle (yet), but I am looking for one as it seeks to be within my TV's specs. I know they are rare, but I am hopeful of finding one.

One more Q for you. Does the waste tank's weight also add to hitch weight? (Is it also in front of the vehicle?).

Best
Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If it is in front of the axle(s) it adds weight to the tongue. The further forward, the more weight.
It is common practice to travel with the waste tanks empty or near empty as much as possible.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
If it is in front of the axle(s) it adds weight to the tongue. The further forward, the more weight.
It is common practice to travel with the waste tanks empty or near empty as much as possible.
Thanks!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
One more Q for you. Does the waste tank's weight also add to hitch weight? (Is it also in front of the vehicle?).
The waste tanks are wherever the bathroom is. On our 22 foot that's in the rear.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
The waste tanks are wherever the bathroom is. On our 22 foot that's in the rear.
Thanks!

Tags
caravelle