Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2006 - 2010 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2010, 04:38 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

North Woods , Illinois
Thanks to everyone who replied.

The main thing we've learned while on this forum is the Airstream community are a great bunch of people.
laynlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
i dont fulltime,but cant imagine not having at least a 31 for fulltime use.our trailer is the perfect size for two people and also allows us the space when the kids or friends want to come along.remember airstream lengths are measured from the rear bumper to the front of the hitch.a 25 footer is not a liveable 25 feet.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
We have a 2007 25" Classic that we had extra Vista Views added over the bedroom windows and had the same added below the bedroom windows also the stacked windows to the right of the door. Also had a light installed above the door as well as having the step light and regular round patio light. Had the cabinets over the twin beds deleted which makes the bedroom seem larger. Other options added during build were the generator prep( extra 30 amp outlet at front) flag box, 600 w inverter, skylight ( junk soon to be repalced with a much better skylight) AV package with the remote speakers,microwave and oven, solar prewire, full awning package,leather, and a Hensley was installed at the dealer. Going fulltime in June. This' floor plan is much more roomy than the newer FB floorplan.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Linda is right, the tradeoff for the 25SS model is less bedroom and bathroom space for more living space. Works great for us but if we were taller or wider it wouldn't work so well.

Xonvldz mentions the measurement standard. But it isn't so standard, it's downright goofy. Our 25 is really 26, or net 23ish inside. Still, it isn't large.

Oven worked yesterday -- we have fresh batches of peanut butter cookies and choc chip cookies. Ate them fresh out of the oven, and still have a couple left over.

Wow!

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
grand rivers , Kentucky
You'll have a lot of fun anyway you go! We have a 2007 Safari fron bedroom. It was probably a little more basic than what you are looking at. We added an electric jack for the hitch which is a real labor saver as we level our trailer. We added a fantastic fan and should have added two. Our unit came with a small "queen" foam mattress which was horrible. With a little carpentry addition at the foot of the bed platform, we were able to replace the yucky foam mattress with a residential full size queen inner spring mattress. We sleep so much more comfortably now! I also replace the factory window coverings with custom drapes. THe original Safari coverins (not drapes or shades) were indadequate!
bfusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #26
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
My wife is not too thrilled on the micro/Convection thing. She hasn't even tried it yet. I wish we didn't have the upgrade. I'm tempted to have it swapped out for a regular oven and just bring along a small microwave. My wife is a major baker, not a cook. I'm the chef when it comes to the main dish. I wonder how difficult would it be to swap it out?

Over all Very happy with our choice. Our queen bed<walk aroung> is sideways with panoramic view windows. I believe it would bother me lying in bed with the windows above my head. I like laying there and looking outside. But everyone is different.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
The wife LOVES the convection microwave in our present trailer. The previous ones (4), all had the standard gas oven.....according to her, none of them could maintain the selected temperature, or cook "evenly". The only thing she complained about more than those ovens was the lack of "alone time"...........(whatever THAT means)...
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
We are also approaching the market for a new 25FB; Last summer, we saw 3 nicely-equipped 2010's at dealers within 200 miles of us; the dealer's inventory pages show that they are still there.

Do most people order them, or buy them out of stock? Any concerns about buying a unit that has sat on a lot for 6 months? If it is still in good shape, and the dealer prices it to move, why not? But then, if so, why is it still there? Makes me wonder what I'm missing...
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #29

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We bought Lucy, our 2005 25FB, new in June of 2006. She had been on the dealer's lot for 16 months. We got a really good deal on her, and never looked back.

We have since spent almost 600 nights in Lucy, and have towed her over 50,000 miles. Lucy has visited all of the contiguous 48 states. Lucy has served us very well with a minimum of problems.

I think that Lucy languished on the dealer's lot so long because she was on of the very first FB ever made. Lucy was one of the first 14 made with the rear-hinged (suicide) door. I think that it took a while for the FB floor plan to catch on.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Wow Brian, you guys have been busy to hit all the states in four years. Way to go!

We like the FB models more than we first did. They have sorta grown on us the more we look at them. But we're staying with our corner bed and tiny ensuite until it wears out or we do.

You know it's funny about the suicide door, with the door swing not working out with the awning arms and all. The door does swing a little more out of the way for your walking path, if you know what I mean. Like entry doors on houses that sometimes sorta get in your way and you have to step around them, the new improved FB doors are more in the way than yours is. Oh well, get one thing right and no one likes it so it must be wrong.

Jim

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Let's make a deal on this trailer he's gotta move!

If you want to order one from the factory just the way you want it, don't you pay their price? Never seemed like the price I wanted on ordering cars and seems it would be the same on RVs.

We bought our first and second Airstreams from dealer's languishing stock also. Weren't really looking for one yet, were happy with our International CCD 22. It was so nice with its 7' long galley and cozy bed. But we wanted a dry bath and a sofa some day.

Up pops this internet advertised 2005 CCD 25 on some RV sales page. Debbie tracks it down during lunch time and figures out what dealer has it, sends me an email at work about it. The price is ridiculously low, we thought. So I called and the dealer told us the price was correct. I made a deposit on it before I hung up.

Boy, Debbie was surprised when she got back from her meeting and asked if I had looked at the ad. We flew up to Wisconsin on a holiday to see it and were surprised it wasn't very shop worn -- the dealer had 2007s coming in and Airstream Co provided him incentives to move the old stock. Our gain!

Jim

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
Old 02-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
Do most people order them, or buy them out of stock? Any concerns about buying a unit that has sat on a lot for 6 months? If it is still in good shape, and the dealer prices it to move, why not? But then, if so, why is it still there? Makes me wonder what I'm missing...
Hi, steverino. We ordered our trailer to get exactly what we wanted, factory installed. [not dealer installed] Like with new cars, people are very impatient and want it right now; So I would say most people buy off of the lot. Time spent on the lot is just waiting for the right person to like it as is, or the right deal to happen. The only concerns with a new trailer sitting on the lot versus an ordered one, is the fact that one that is ordered, is already sold, and off limits to "Looky Lews" who want to jump on, push & pull, and slam around everything they can get their grubby hands on. [this accounts for lots of little fixes needed before delivery] A good dealer will stay on top of these repairs. Not to mention dated items like batteries and tires.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
If you want to order one from the factory just the way you want it, don't you pay their price? Never seemed like the price I wanted on ordering cars and seems it would be the same on RVs.

Jim
Jim makes a great point. Most things are easily and inexpensively added like a full awning package, a second fantastic fan, etc. Switching twins to a queen or vice versa is a different matter - so hold out for your choice if you take dealer stock. I added the second fantastic to mine... had the factory do it but could have easily could have done it myself.

Paula
Old 02-17-2010, 11:43 PM   #34
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
If you want to order one from the factory just the way you want it, don't you pay their price? Never seemed like the price I wanted on ordering cars and seems it would be the same on RVs. ...
might SEEM the same as ordering a car (i got a great discount ordering a truck) but it isn't.

the A/S dealers OWN their inventory (essentially), and are INTO it for financing and insurance and so on...

when a customer "orders" basically the dealer places an order for a unit in THEIR OWN name...

OR have one already on order (but prior to production) REspec'd to the customers preferences.

dealers are 'encouraged' by the company to place 'block orders' 2x a year...

and some preferences go to higher volume shops, who WILL move the goods.

either way the discount from MSRP should be the same or better than new stuff ON the lot.

because the dealer will have NO costs associated with the just ordered unit, they are just FLIPPING the deal.
_______

now that assumes the dealer wants to MESS with ordering (some really don't)...

and assumes the customer is legit and won't skip for another trailer someplace else AFTER the order goes in.

AND can get financing which typically isn't checked TILL the unit is ready for delivery.

i placed a significant (refundable) deposit when the order went in AND got a very very good discount from msrp...

the trailer showed up on the lot, they prep'd it and contacted me and the whole thing moved VERY quickly.
________

cars are handled differently by the makers AND dealers, but an order unit can still be purchased at discount...

IF the customer isn't afraid to walk away at delivery.

buying is a contact sport, wear a cup....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:21 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I also ordered mine through the dealer, went through an Airstream approval process for the non standard changes which took about two weeks and paid a fairly large deposit before the build order was placed. I still received a very good discount over list. Ordering should be a better deal over buying off the lot because the dealer dosen't have money tied up in financing inventory, it's a sold unit before he ever takes delivery. It's the only way to go if you want something that's not on the standard options list. They will make changes but the dealer can't appove the changes. They submit them to Airstream for approval. When I was thinking of buying a 34', I asked if Vista Views could be installed over the bedroom windows and it was rejected because of rib placement, but they approved it on my 25' Classic.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
We've lived with several different floorplans, and each one has it's advantages and disadvantages (maybe a better word is "compromises"). I'm learning to resist my tendency to focus on the negatives.....truth is, when I reminisce about the great times we've had with each of them, it's actually hard to remember the things that used to bother me.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #37
Rivet Master

dated items on older inventory

Bob mentioned watching for dated items like tires and batteries -- I had forgotten this one but less than a year after buying our "new" Airstream off the lot the batteries failed.

We took them to the local same brand battery dealer who read the code on them and said they were long out of warranty. I hadn't realized it but the Airstream dealer didn't manage the batteries separately as fifo inventory but rather let them age with the aging Airstream inventory.

Our batteries were almost two years old when we bought our "new" Airstream. On one hand, we thought everything should have the nominal warranty on the trailer and might have been able to work something out with factory. On the other hand, our trailer's purchase price was so low we could absorb this into the price.

And, we took it as an opportunity to upgrade from the pair of 12v batteries to a pair of 6v golf cart batteries ($200) in the same battery box. Only mod needed (besides changing the wiring config to series to get from 6v to 12v) was to raise the battery box lid by two inches.

Tires too were already almost two years old. They held up perfectly well until exactly five years from their manufacture date. One of them showed a well-defined separated ply in the tread and was already wearing badly in the new high spot. We had anticipated replacing at five years anyway, so this put the emphasis on just when we would get them off.

The batteries on an untitled trailer probably have had a rough life with no proper attention or maintenance while sitting on the lot. Next time I would negotiate for fresh batteries, for sure, if the trailer has been sitting awhile.

Great point, Bob.

Jim

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #38
can't finish anyth

2018 30' International
Lauderdale-By-The-Sea , Florida
Jim did an awesome job on all the work arounds they made on their 25SS. My favorite is the roll up bedding with the headboard. That said, the back end of those units with the corner bed configuration is really tight IMHO. The FB units I think have a great layout too, but the idea of campground patrol car lights in the bedroom window is not for me. After all the anal-ysis, it's the 28 for me.

Cheers,

Javier
(Truly Work from Anywhere)
2017 F250 "Super Judy"
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I agree, GolfStream: the 28' International is the all-around BEST, (least # of compromises).....and it shall be my next one.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #40
can't finish anyth

2018 30' International
Lauderdale-By-The-Sea , Florida
Order results

Hello All!

Today I have to finalize my selections for the 28 foot airstream so i thought I would share:
  1. Although it may have been different before, ordering an AS now is different.
  2. There is no "build sheet"
  3. There are only 4 options available (my choices):
    1. Microwave Convection Oven (no thanks, I rather have the oven)
    2. 600 Watt power inverter (Yes!)
    3. Full awning package (Yes!)
    4. Solar Panel-2x53 watt panels- (Yes!)
  4. All other options are now standard equipment.
  5. Customization is possible but not probable as all departments need to sign-off.
2Air: most of what you suggest in the way of customization possibilities (awning color selection, 50AMP service, window placement/additions) are just not available anymore.

My 28 international will also serve as a traveling office from time to time. To that end, I plan to tuck a mac mini (6"x6"x2") into the rooflocker near the stereo. With a bluetooth keyboard & mouse, I'll use the TV as a monitor (if I can get a proper video cable from the rooflocker to the back of the TV). Initially, I asked for a 1" Conduit from the rooflocker next to the stereo to the back of the TV to run my own A/V cables (AS said, "no can do"). AS will however, run a single HDMI Cable from the rooflocker at the stereo to back of TV (WooHOO!)

Additionally, I asked for an additional 110V outlet (connected to the power inverter) to be installed in rooflocker at stereo to power the Mini and a 3G Wifi router (Yes!)

Next, I wanted to set up a celphone signal amplifier/repeater. The installation calls for an external antenna, a 12v powered amplifier, and an internal repeater antenna. To accomplish this I needed to have two additional cables installed:
  1. a 50 Ohm coaxial cable from the external antenna to the 12v outlet underneath the dinette (where the amplifier will be installed and
  2. a 50 Ohm coaxial cable from amplifier to a spot on the wall above the TV.
I'm still awaiting the response from AS on this one. I should hear later today. Wish me luck!

That's the update.

Cheers,

Javier
(Truly Work from Anywhere)
2017 F250 "Super Judy"
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010 international