Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Looking for AS purchasing advice

I want to buy a used AS and need some experieced owner advice. Not exactly sure where to go on the site. I would appreciate some help. I'm in Greensboro, N.C.
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Look Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier
I want to buy a used AS and need some experieced owner advice. Not exactly sure where to go on the site. I would appreciate some help. I'm in Greensboro, N.C.
This is a good place to start. http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html
Searching this forum is great. There is a lot of info if you ask a little more directly.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
The Airsteam Forums offer all the assistance you will need in selecting and evaluating an appropriate unit, at least they did for me. This knowledge base is invaluable in the search and resolution process.

Elaborate on your concerns/questions and watch the responses rush in.

Welcome to the club, and happy hunting!

Unfortunately, once you have been infected, there is no cure.
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Looking for Airstream advice

Looking for 27-29' used in very good condition. Don't want to exceed 7000 lbs. How do I make sure I'm getting a quality unit? What is a fair price? How much does it cost to redo exterior if it is dull, stained or scratched? Not mechanically inclinded and time is premium so I want a unit that is ready to use.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
I'm no expert here but I think you have to have a general idea of what your looking for in terms of new or used...then from there you start to narrow it down to how much you want to do when it comes to restoration and cost if going used. I would check out some of the restoration threads...there are some pretty amazing projects going on in here....from there you can decide whether you have the skills to dive into a major ontaking that some are doing and have done. This is a great source...you've come to the right spot! Good luck and have fun!!
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
TS we are in NC on the coast. Best advice is to determine what you want. Come to rallys, you can see the dates posted in here or drop me a line and I can tell you what is going on in your area. You need to walk in a lot of units before you decide. We decided on the 28' rear queen and bought a 34' rear queen, it came up for sale locally. Be sure you understand the costs of buying and getting the unit ready for use. Too many want to buy cheap only to find out they could have saved money if they had spent more initially. Know your own time and resource limitiations. Its no fun to have your unit sitting in the backyard unable or unfit to put on the road for months or years. Projects have a way of taking longer than expected. I worked for 18 months on my first one and it was roadworthy and in good condition before I started. If you need help don't hesitate to drop a email, the WBCCI unit in your area would love to have you visit a rally.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Welcome tslanier

Hi and welcome to the forums. If you have the opportunity to travel this weekend May 19-21, there is an Airstream Rally at the Tom Johnson RV campground in Marion, NC. This is the WBCCI rally of the Piedmont Group. You would be more than welcome to visit and talk with members in person. This is a great group of A/S owners and enthusiasts. The campground is west of town on highway 70.
Kev
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:22 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Marion Rally

Thanks so much for your reply. I really need some expert advice. I am interested in buying a used AS, my first travel trailer, but I do not have the time or expertise to restore and I don't know how to make a wise decision on quality, price etc. I want something I can enjoy immediately. Would there be a good number of people there on Saturday?