Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #1

1981 25' Excella II
Kenton , Oklahoma
Question wires? "other DC panel?

have 83 excella,

some things work, some don`t

belive this 23 years design engineer ,P.E.
with my fluke , I dont have a clue where the wires go from the battery panel
behind couch!

I realy dont understand the wires going to tail lights etc are hot ! 12v

before I get out the saw and start making holes, are there any diagrams on line?

problem is ;no hot wire going to hot water heater.
but all the lights work,,, except the ones I need ,,over the door and out side one,

the radio console has no juice either...... but a had full of wires , red one has fuse , but is not hot,

I did read a forum about the fuse clips need cleaning,, I just ran into that with my boat.........yes I took every thing apart and was last thing I found,

for you folks with ohm metters,just because it shows continuity, does not mean it will cary current , a blow fuse will show connection, from flash on walls of case.

but if any one has a clue email me where the "other "
DC pannel is

my worse mistake,,,,,,,I sold my 1955 airstream,,,, you know ,, not electronics..just on and off valves!!! gesssssssh hate engineers!

please email me. cyote@ptsi.net
cyote@ptsi.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Try this

On the Airstream site, there are both parts and owner's manuals for the 1999 and later trailers with wiring diagrams. Very little has changed as to the general hookup of taillight and other wiring from the 80s trailers. These diagrams will give you a good idea of how the trailer is wired. Yours will not be the same, but it will be surprisingly similar.

To show you just how little Airstream changes over time, the wiring diagrams for my 2005 were originated with the first wide body in the mid 90s and have a series of engineering changes noted on the pages. The originating dates are on the sheets as proof.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Cyote,

Most of the wiring on Airstreams runs down the overhead lengthwise and then vertically to where it's used. I don't know if a 1983 model came with a water heater requiring power - it might have been added on, and the installer might have tapped into another circuit. This is what I did with mine when I installed it. I ran a wire forward under the heat duct, over the wheel arch, and into the galley cabinet.

If all fails, try following the wire. If it goes into the wall, it was factory and you can look on the OTHER end for a connection. If it goes to another device, check that device's fuse.

Good luck!

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote