Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2002, 11:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
replacement panel

Last summer while on my cross-country trip, one of the tires on my truck blew and shredded. I didn't notice until much later that apparently parts of the steel belting or something had knocked some dents into the curved front panel of the trailer, and had actually put a tear into this panel. I'd like to replace the panel. Will I have to have it fabricated? Or are such available ready-made? My rig is a31-ft '77 sovereign with international package.

Thanks.
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 09:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
How about one of the salvage yards listed in the parts forums. A new piece of metal will not match, but it would not be that hard to replace. If they don't have the corner, they should be able to cut a piece large enough to make a new one. The curve is great enough that and the metal thin enough that it can be formed on the frame work. You will need to use the old one for a template as there will be a lot of curve on the top and bottom of the panel.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 09:56 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Smile Gravel guards

This makes me real glad that I have the optional gravel guards. At the rally, last weekend, there was a nice '75 International that had a series of dents up the front corner from a blown tire on the truck. Not big dents, but big enough to spoil the appearance of the otherwise clean trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 02:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
John's post brought another thought. Seal the tear and get rock guards. They should cover the damage and repair and prevent anything further.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 05:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
All the segments and quarter panels for the 1969 and up trailers are still available. However, today they are made with "dull" metal instead of the old "shiney" metal.
Only an expert can tell the difference in appearance.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote