Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2016, 07:07 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Antes Fort , Pennsylvania
Using Truck for generator

Is it possible to buy some kind of inverter that uses the truck engine to generate electrical power to the Airstream? It seems to me a truck engine is more powerful than any gas generator. It is also very quiet and has a large gas engine. thanks
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Use Your TV as a Generator

You can purchase a 3000 watt modified sine wave inverter for around $500 and a 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter for around $1000. (Search on Google.) A lot cheaper than a 3000 watt inverter generator and you don't have to carry around that extra 130 pounds (plus fuel).

If you just need to charge up your house battery you can also just use jumper cables from your TV to the battery. My alternator is capable of 160 amps output, YMMV. (Be sure to use heavy gauge cables.) I have hooked up a quick connect to the TV battery which is similar to those used for off road winches. A similar quick connect on the AS battery makes charging simple.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not going to sugar coat this. If using your truck gas or diesel as a generator or to charge house batteries please do not park next to me or anyone else, thank you in advance.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Alternator output at idle isn't even close to the rating. You would have to have an idle boost feature in order to get output high enough to produce more than 20 to 50 amps, depending on the vehicle and alternator. In that case, see post # 3....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I assume you know the tow vehicle already does charge the trailer batteries. In any event using the tow vehicle engine to change trailer batteries seems very inefficient.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Talking

I would rather have a smog legal automotive engine running next to me than a contractor generator, 400' across the street, there is a modification that can be made to an alternator that will produce 120 volts. Needs a special switch and some electric know how.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Running your truck's engine to charge batteries is extremely inefficient.
And, if it was a diesel, would be very hard on the engine - won't get to proper temperature. Very bad and ultimately very expensive.
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Forget it. Bad idea all around.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
Many campgrounds don't allow prolonged TV idling.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
I have solar but use jumpers and the TV in a pinch. (Heavy cloud or tree cover). I've only needed to do it twice and since my diesel is noisy I only charge between 1PM and 2PM when there is activity in the CG and campers are coming and going. I also have a 1700 RPM chip to run high idle for the alternator and I plan to wire in #2 cable and Anderson Connectors for a better / faster charge when required.
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
OK, running a generator at 1-2pm is better than 1-2am, but it just violates the quiet of a Campground experience. The coming and going is disruptive, but parked next door or down the drive is significantly objectionable. Considerably so, if it is a powerful diesel.

A set of solar panels that you can locate in direct sun, a fuel cell, a conservation protocol, or a really quiet generator that is sound deadened, all represent better options than a diesel running at elevated Revs. We all have to do what we have to do in an emergency. That, I get. But not every day is an emergency. Please, do not develop tow vehicle power as a standard mode of charging. As others have said - it is a bad idea. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
I have solar but use jumpers and the TV in a pinch. (Heavy cloud or tree cover). I've only needed to do it twice and since my diesel is noisy I only charge between 1PM and 2PM when there is activity in the CG and campers are coming and going. I also have a 1700 RPM chip to run high idle for the alternator and I plan to wire in #2 cable and Anderson Connectors for a better / faster charge when required.
Again no punches pulled,
Please never do this anywhere close to me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Get a Honda, or solar, or both. Both is good. Honda for the Microwave and coffee maker. Solar for the rest.

Works very well

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Again no punches pulled,

Please never do this anywhere close to me.

Yeah, OK. I can run three days without sun anyways so the chances are pretty nil.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #15
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale49 View Post
Is it possible to buy some kind of inverter that uses the truck engine to generate electrical power to the Airstream? It seems to me a truck engine is more powerful than any gas generator. It is also very quiet and has a large gas engine. thanks
To answer your exact question....Yes you can.

http://www.pwmag.com/fleets/selectin...ed-generator_o

For basic power.....

http://www.familyhandyman.com/automo...rator/view-all

For more power........

http://www.fabcopower.com/generat/bgen.htm

For huge power, PTO style......

http://realacpower.com

An automotive engine running quietly generating power for your AS is far quieter than a portable generator; HOWEVER most modern gas/diesel engines don't like to be idled for extended periods of time, so a throttle lock to keep an ideal RPM for lubrication purposes would be best. This may increase the noise level a tad.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:16 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
That Fabco belt driven generator looks like it would be really convenient when we stop at rest stops, truck stops, Walmarts, etc. for lunch. Sometimes it is too hot in the trailer so we have a generator we carry to run the AC in these situations (I know we are spoiled), but letting the truck idle for 30 or 40 minutes and pulling power from that would be much easier than carrying around a generator. The belt driven generator appears to have plenty of power. I would not recommend it in a campground, but it looks like it would work great on the road. The truck noise is not a factor in any of the locations we stop.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:00 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Antes Fort , Pennsylvania
Thanks all

I guess I'll be getting a generator/inverter.
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This is a good unit. I've had some fleets use it. However the installation to a crankshaft end can be problematic for engines. Be very careful in your research before installing.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Solar Solar Solar. I have 500 watts on my Airstream roof, but you can buy a Renogy suitcase system that will do a fine job and not make a sound or produce any noxious fumes. Replace your group 27 batteries with a couple of Trojan six volt golf cart batteries and you will be good for days with moderate power useage. Batteries and solar should be several hundred dollars less than a Honda generator, and they don't require fuel.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
This is a good unit. I've had some fleets use it. However the installation to a crankshaft end can be problematic for engines. Be very careful in your research before installing.

Thx

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote