Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
tow vechicle setup - 2008 LandCruiser wiring harness

I installed a brake controller and an aftermarket 7 pin (hopkins) female for the purpose of towing my airstream. It's all hooked up, but not communicating with the trailer, confirmed with test light/om meter.

My 08 has the hitch, and female wiring adapters at the back of the truck for the 7 pin harness, but is it possible it's not actually wired from the factory? Makes absolutely no sense that they would do that, but who knows.

Does anyone know what's going on -- is the 08' 200 series actually missing the wiring needed to accomodate a 7 pin? Blows my mind that they increased the tow capacity by 200 pounds from 07' to 08' but didn't bother to set the truck wiring up to make it easy.

Or... is it possible that I'm missing a few fuses? I've checked the boxes and all the 30 amp tow fuses are in their respective slots.

driving me nuts. If anyone can lend some insight, would be appreciated.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I bought a new 2008 Tundra. We also have a 2008 Land Cruiser, but do not use it to tow.

Our Tundra's 7 pin plug also did not work. I went to the manual to locate the fuse. It was blown. I replaced the fuse and it worked perfectly, afterwards. When we sold the trailer, the new owner had a later model Tundra. The Brake Controller was plugged into the plug on the left side of the driver's side and worked perfectly.

I would recheck the fuse. It has been 8 years, so I cannot narrow down the number or where the fuse was or even which fuse box. It may have been under the hood on the Tundra.

I would expect the Tundra and the Land Cruiser of the same year using the same system.

The blown fuse did not affect anything else... but the Brake Controller.

Since no one has responded, this is the best I can do. Like you, the fuse. If not the fuse, maybe your Brake Controller, if new. Try someone's Tundra / Land Cruiser. I did not expect this when I hooked up our 23 foot Airstream to our new Tundra. I feel the frustration... Since there are few Land Cruisers... a Tundra problem may come up to help.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
FIXED. It was actually the hopkins 7 plug. I took a harness from a newer LC and it worked perfectly! Phew!
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Damn Hopkins$##%%. I had this same problem today while picking up a new to me 27FB. Took me 4hrs to isolate and rule out the airstream, my new brake controller, and finally the Hopkins. Blew 3 fuses in the process cause some monkey absolutely got all the socket pin positions wrong. Finally just cut the Hopkins harness and respliced each circuit to the correct pin. Only one of the pins (right signal) was correct.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote