Old 06-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Chillicothe , Arizona
Shutdown

Parked the AS 8 days ago after having some warranty work completed at the Mothership. Excellent service by the way.
Showed the wife the new exhaust fan and she checked it out ... wasn't hooked up to shore power.
This morning I went out and there is no power; even the carbon dioxide alarm is "black".
I start thinking the batteries went dead.
Hook the 30A up to our shore power and everything works of course. Check battery monitor and it reads 13.7. CD alarm starts off blinking red and the after a minute moves to green.
Disconnect shore power and everything that is suppose to be powered is powered. Battery monitor reads 11.7
Reconnect and battery reads 13.3.
Going to check battery water levels. Any thoughts?

Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
11.7v is essentially dead. Sounds like your batteries went dead, when you plugged in they charged some, but not completely.
You need a good charge, then see how they act.

JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Shutdown

Agreed batteries are dead.

It's showing 13.7v/13.3v when on 30amp shoreline because that is the voltage your converter/charger is putting out to charge the batteries. The battery voltage monitor in the trailer reads "system" voltage not specifically battery voltage. If you really want to know the state of your batteries you need to install a more sophisticated battery monitoring system like the Victron 702 monitor.

Why were they dead? Without a constant charging source like solar integrated with your energy system if you don't physically disconnect your batteries while in storage or during a service call (remove all negative leads at the battery terminals or use a proper disconnect switch) they will discharge to dead even when the interior "disconnect" switch is engage due to propane leak detector and inverter standby draws, which are hardwired to the battery.

I use a battery disconnect switch that I threw into the battery box and I mechanically disconnect the batteries from all trailer loads when in storage....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1126.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	659.9 KB
ID:	288081  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Chillicothe , Arizona
Hopefully they aren't entirely dead ... I am putting them on my Genius smart charger. Wulfraat where do I find that disconnect switch?
My error also as I didn't use the disconnect switch?!
Old 06-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cispook View Post
Hopefully they aren't entirely dead ... I am putting them on my Genius smart charger. Wulfraat where do I find that disconnect switch?
My error also as I didn't use the disconnect switch?!
You should read your owner's manual to locate the Use/Store switch in your model. Most are located just inside the main entry door.

Your batteries are probably not dead, but compromised. If the batteries were new and healthy, a one-time complete discharge will not kill the batteries, as I understand it.

Your plan to charge them for a couple of days is a good start. After charging, disconnect the charger, unplug from shore power, and wait one hour. Then check your battery voltage on the monitor.

Good luck!

PS -- In our 2014 FC20 with original Interstate Group 24 batteries, we can remove shore power, turn to "Store," and our batteries will still read about 12.5 volts after one week, even with the propane detector left online, notwithstanding recent dire comments.

PS2 -- This Battery School article is good background reading IMO:

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Chillicothe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
You should read the owner's manual to locate the Use/Store switch in your model. Most are located right inside the main entry door.

Your batteries are probably not dead, but compromised. If the batteries were new and healthy, a complete discharge will not kill the batteries, as I understand it.

Your plan to charge them for a couple of days is a good start. After charging, disconnect the charger, unplug from shore power, and wait one hour. Then check your battery voltage on the monitor.

Good luck!

I knew better. Self inflicted for sure.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Chillicothe , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Agreed batteries are dead.

It's showing 13.7v/13.3v when on 30amp shoreline because that is the voltage your converter/charger is putting out to charge the batteries. The battery voltage monitor in the trailer reads "system" voltage not specifically battery voltage. If you really want to know the state of your batteries you need to install a more sophisticated battery monitoring system like the Victron 702 monitor.

Why were they dead? Without a constant charging source like solar integrated with your energy system if you don't physically disconnect your batteries while in storage or during a service call (remove all negative leads at the battery terminals or use a proper disconnect switch) they will discharge to dead even when the interior "disconnect" switch is engage due to propane leak detector and inverter standby draws, which are hardwired to the battery.

I use a battery disconnect switch that I threw into the battery box and I mechanically disconnect the batteries from all trailer loads when in storage....

What is the name of that disconnect switch?
Old 06-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
I knew better. Self inflicted for sure.
Happens to everyone sooner or later. BTW my original comment has been edited since you quoted it.

Not the end of the world! Your batteries are probably in better shape than you think. You could take them out and have an Interstate dealer test them, which will give you peace of mind for the camping season.

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 06-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
What is the name of that disconnect switch?
Blue Seas selector switch
Old 06-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Chillicothe , Arizona
Quote:
You should read your owner's manual to locate the Use/Store switch in your model. Most are located just inside the main entry door.

Your batteries are probably not dead, but compromised. If the batteries were new and healthy, a one-time complete discharge will not kill the batteries, as I understand it.

Good luck!

PS -- In our 2014 FC20 with original Interstate Group 24 batteries, we can remove shore power, turn to "Store," and our batteries will still read about 12.5 volts after one week, even with the propane detector left online, notwithstanding recent dire comments.

PS2 -- This Battery School article is good background reading IMO:

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm

Thanks for the article link. I'm big on read to learn and then applying the skills.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Here is a link to the one I use

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000M...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Allows me to choose from

Power to trailer
Power to inverter
Power to trailer + inverter
All off

Note that you will need to cut off the automotive clamp on the 6ga trailer lead and replace with a 3/8 bolt through connector.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Chillicothe , Arizona
Quote:
Here is a link to the one I use

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000M...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Allows me to choose from

Power to trailer
Power to inverter
Power to trailer + inverter
All off

Note that you will need to cut off the automotive clamp on the 6ga trailer lead and replace with a 3/8 bolt through connector.

Very nice. I'm sold.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Chillicothe , Arizona
Quote:
Happens to everyone sooner or later. BTW my original comment has been edited since you quoted it.

Not the end of the world! Your batteries are probably in better shape than you think. You could take them out and have an Interstate dealer test them, which will give you peace of mind for the camping season.

Happy Trails!

Peter

Curious if you remove your batteries to charge or charge them in parallel in the battery box?
Old 06-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Never charged them with a stand-alone charger. I would remove them, but not sure that is necessary. Seems safer IMO.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Shutdown

Leave your batteries in the box, you can charge them when connected to shore power (the on board converter / charger will charge them when they are connected to the system)

Now comes the debate around the quality of the factory parallax charger installed in your airstream
Old 06-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Chillicothe , Arizona
Quote:
Leave your batteries in the box, you can charge them when connected to shore power (the on board converter / charger will charge them when they are connected to the system)

Now comes the debate around the quality of the factory parallax charger installed in your airstream

I've been reading those comments haha
Old 06-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Chillicothe , Arizona
Quote:
Never charged them with a stand-alone charger. I would remove them, but not sure that is necessary. Seems safer IMO.

In for a penny ... I'll throw it out to the group
Old 06-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
In for a penny ... I'll throw it out to the group

yes a slippery slope indeed!

It really comes down to how you use your trailer - mainly plugged in to campground power or extensive off grid camping, which requires better batteries, charging, likely solar, etc etc