Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #41
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Cool Regulators and suppressors

Hi there! To be clear, we own both a surge guard and a voltage regulator. The surge guard is *not* a voltage regulator. While a TRC surge suppressor / Progressive EMS is sufficient to prevent disaster, you may be happiest having both a regulator and a suppressor.

Here's the configuration if you use a regulator and a suppressor. If you have a 50 amp system, replace my 30's with 50's.

Post ==> 30-amp extension cord ==> Voltage regulator ==> TRC Surge Guard *or* Progressive EMS ==> Furion 30-amp cord ==>Trailer

This way, the voltage regulator minimizes the potential variations in voltage coming off the post, boosting voltage by as much as 10% (e.g. guaranteeing clean service on the output side even with input voltages as low as 95 volts). However, the regulator does *not* protect against anything else. So, you still need a TRC surge guard or Progressive EMS in the circuit after a regulator. Either of those will protect against surges, open neutrals, etc. Lastly, you plug the now regulated and surge-guarded output into your trailer.

As a matter of convenience we put the voltage regulator and surge guard under the trailer where they are harder to see and perhaps less likely to be "borrowed". We never just hang the surge guard from the post. It looks way too interesting. (Obfuscation is not the same as security, but at our trailer the average looky-loo sees an extension cord going under the trailer and a Furion cord coming out from between the wheels...probably nothing interesting going on under there, not even worth bending down to take a peek.)

We didn't wire this stuff into the trailer because the purpose of these devices is to sacrifice themselves if necessary. If (when?) they get smoked by an evil power incident, we can replace them without messing with any trailer innards. If the devices are stolen and the baddies stop with carrying off 30 pounds of electrical gizmos they don't really understand, I guess we'll be grateful the incident wasn't worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Thanks for your input. I am looking at getting the Technology Research unit for New Lucy. I have never had a surge protector before. I am reading that this unit is both a surge protector and a voltage regulator. Is this correct?

Brian
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #42
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
The EMS unit works very well (installed the hard-wired model). What I particularly like about it is that IF there is an issue in the campground, you'll get a code on the display BEFORE it connects your trailer to the power. I had one campground with a polarity issue, and another with inadequate voltage to run my A/C. You always have the option to override it, but I sure wouldn't. It's available in both a 30amp and 50amp model and (surprisingly) is made in the USA!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #43

I agree, the EMS is definitely cool. When something smokes our TRC Surge Guard, we'll probably replace it with a Progressive EMS. I'll always buy a "made in USA" item given the choice, and I like that it explicitly tells you once it's been smoked by a surge. The TRC Surge Guard also has a helpful display, but I'm not seeing whether it will display an explicit indication once a surge has burned through it.

Nothing wrong with mounting the Surge Guard or EMS inside your trailer where you can see it, if you prefer. We just didn't prefer, at least not this time.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418597130.564232.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	637.4 KB
ID:	228599

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
I agree, the EMS is definitely cool. When something smokes our TRC Surge Guard, we'll probably replace it with a Progressive EMS. I'll always buy a "made in USA" item given the choice, and I like that it explicitly tells you once it's been smoked by a surge. The TRC Surge Guard also has a helpful display, but I'm not seeing whether it will display an explicit indication once a surge has burned through it.

Nothing wrong with mounting the Surge Guard or EMS inside your trailer where you can see it, if you prefer. We just didn't prefer, at least not this time.
I do not agree with the bold text statement as far as the surge protector is concerned. If the surge protector is inside the trailer, anything from the RV power cord to the input to the surge protector can catch fire with a significant "surge" or lightning strike. This could easily set the trailer on fire if it is located inside or at the socket on the trailer. The safest location for the surge protector is at the campground RV connection post

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #46
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Post ==> 30-amp extension cord ==> Voltage regulator ==> TRC Surge Guard *or* Progressive EMS ==> Furion 30-amp cord ==>Trailer
As a matter of convenience we put the voltage regulator and surge guard under the trailer where they are harder to see and perhaps less likely to be "borrowed".
This sounds like a great idea. Do these units get hot and need to breath? If not, you could probably mount the Surge Guard in a box of some sort (like this 16" tool box) with two holes drilled through it. You can leave that under the trailer to further hide the units. Probably could lock it to something as well if you wanted. Keep honest people honest anyway.

SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
I am happy to know others are concerned about potential theft. Here is my surge protector shown in my garage, and note the two aircraft cables, and lock. I usually wrap the cables around the power post in such a way one would have to cut them to remove the surge protector or the 50 Amp power cord. While possible, i suspect a thief may look to an easier prey.

Alana_Surge_Protec_12.14.14-2 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr Alana_Surge_Protec_12.14.14 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #48
Rivet Master

When it comes to protecting the surge protector, I use this item with a heavy duty cable and pad lock. I put the lock through the hole and the wrap as many turns of cable around the campground pedestal as necessary to keep the whole thing from being lifted over the top of the pedestal. The ends of the cable then go on pad lock hasp and it is locked. Since the junction of the suppressor and the power cord are inside the box, both are protected.

Surge Guard Universal Lock Hasp - TRC 34590-001 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

Ken
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I do not agree with the bold text statement as far as the surge protector is concerned. If the surge protector is inside the trailer, anything from the RV power cord to the input to the surge protector can catch fire with a significant "surge" or lightning strike. This could easily set the trailer on fire if it is located inside or at the socket on the trailer. The safest location for the surge protector is at the campground RV connection post

Ken
Hi, I agree with Ken on this; A friend of mine showed me a surge protector that was hard wired inside of his motorhome. It did it's job, and blew out, but it also started to melt the case it is made in. Therefore I won't mount one inside of my trailer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
When it comes to protecting the surge protector, I use this item with a heavy duty cable and pad lock. I put the lock through the hole and the wrap as many turns of cable around the campground pedestal as necessary to keep the whole thing from being lifted over the top of the pedestal. The ends of the cable then go on pad lock hasp and it is locked. Since the junction of the suppressor and the power cord are inside the box, both are protected.

Surge Guard Universal Lock Hasp - TRC 34590-001 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

Ken
Hi, since I mentioned that I very seldom ever use mine, I never lock it. This makes the odds of theft almost as low as the odds of needing this surge protector to protect my trailer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, since I mentioned that I very seldom ever use mine, I never lock it. This makes the odds of theft almost as low as the odds of needing this surge protector to protect my trailer.
There are so many things in a modern travel trailer than can get fried by a voltage surge, I don't feel it's worth the risk of all the trouble getting everything fixed. The Surge guard is always attached to the end of my power cord inside the plastic box I posted pic of. That way it's more trouble for me to not use it than it is to use it.

Now having said that, I camped without one for many years with no known surge induced failures. However I have had three TV's crap out for unknown reasons. None of them were since I installed the Surgeguard. Not that I think that proves anything.
Ken
Old 12-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Park City , Utah
I read a a lot of forums on this subject and what I came away with was that chances are I really don't need one. I new a guy type of stories. But in the end I bought one the amount of time and money I have in my Airstream It simply wasnt worth the risk even if it was minimal. so I bought a Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp. I tried it out at home and couldn't get it to work. I Called the companies after hours hotline and left a message. Within an hour a gentleman called me back at 8:00 pm on a Saturday night (This is customer service) talked me through my none issue I simply hadn't waited the two minutes for the protector to go through It's warm up and diagnostic. I'm happy for the piece of mind and even happier to support a company like Progessive industries.
peetoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #53

Hi, Scott. I'm not really sure how warm they get normally, but as has been pointed out, if you put a big enough surge through them, things will get toasty. However, I like the idea of making them a little less obtrusive, in principle. Maybe I should spray-paint that bright yellow voltage regulator with a flat black finish so it's harder to see under there

Meanwhile, I do have the security cover previously mentioned for the SurgeGuard - I have yet to try it out, but I could use that to lock it to the Voltage Regulator and then lock the voltage regulator to one of the trailer wheels - each of which I already has a locking lug nut. It could work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
This sounds like a great idea. Do these units get hot and need to breath? If not, you could probably mount the Surge Guard in a box of some sort (like this 16" tool box) with two holes drilled through it. You can leave that under the trailer to further hide the units. Probably could lock it to something as well if you wanted. Keep honest people honest anyway.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #54
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Thanks all. My trailer is currently being stored in an underground cave so I have a few months to decide on this. Probably will pull the trigger just for the piece of mind. Now to check prices...
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:30 AM   #55
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Security.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
I am happy to know others are concerned about potential theft. Here is my surge protector shown in my garage, and note the two aircraft cables, and lock. I usually wrap the cables around the power post in such a way one would have to cut them to remove the surge protector or the 50 Amp power cord. While possible, i suspect a thief may look to an easier prey.

Alana_Surge_Protec_12.14.14-2 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr Alana_Surge_Protec_12.14.14 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr
Quote:

Ken
Quote:
Hi, Scott. I'm not really sure how warm they get normally, but as has been pointed out, if you put a big enough surge through them, things will get toasty. However, I like the idea of making them a little less obtrusive, in principle. Maybe I should spray-paint that bright yellow voltage regulator with a flat black finish so it's harder to see under there

Meanwhile, I do have the security cover previously mentioned for the SurgeGuard - I have yet to try it out, but I could use that to lock it to the Voltage Regulator and then lock the voltage regulator to one of the trailer wheels - each of which I already has a locking lug nut. It could work!
My rather simple minded security solution....

First...I have only been connected to shore power maybe 6 times in 9yrs, most of our camping is 'dock'n. The PT-30C is used more frequently at home on the pad.

We run our 2000i in a small tent when dock'n.

When at a campground with power I set up the tent, run the trailer cord into the tent, plug in the PT-30C, connect my extension cord and run it to the box. When the site is unattended just un-plug and lock it in the AS. I know it's 'water resistant' but in the tent it never gets wet.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:54 AM   #56
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
I have this one hardwired and all my shore power (not generator input) runs through it. It will not only protect against surges but also low and high voltage, and a bunch of other stuff. Keeps bad power from ruining your expensive stuff. They also have a portable version. I highly recommend having one of these.
EMS-HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired EMS with Remote Display
Thank you. I'm going to add this to our Avion before we go out next spring.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I always use a surge protector, but after reading this thread I want the device that tells you what the voltage is, too. There may be a device that is a surge protector and displays the voltage, and I may have seen one on someone else's trailer at a campground, but I don't remember the name brand or model.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This one?

Surge Guard 30A Portable with LCD Display | Technology Research Corporation

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Note that the TRC voltage regulators (both 30 and 50 amp) have both handles and standoff legs that are attached to the steel box. Thus a small chain with lock can be used to secure the unit to a trailer tire, axle, or the frame and slow down the casual thief. The plastic lock box for the surge protector"s connection would take just a pair of pliers to break apart.

Surge Guard® Voltage Regulator - 120V, 30A and 120/240V, 50A | Technology Research Corporation

The serious thieves have the necessary tools and torches to cut chain or locks in a heart beat and off they go with the gear with virtually no noise.

Both of the TRC units use a lot of payload and the 50 amp model is close to my comfort lifting level at 42 pounds while the 30 amp is 21 pounds. They almost need their own carrying case as the cables make packing them a problem with wasted floor space. Both the 30 and 50 amp surge yards reside in the rear trailer storage compartment.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
In 50 some years of extensive camping and travel throughout the country I've never had anything stolen at a campground. A guy did chase us down to return my wife's cell phone she walked away from at a park bench at Grand Canyon last year.

Now, don't one of you fellows find us and lift our power/surge protector just to ruin our record. It's out on the pedestal right now, unlocked as usual.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote