Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2004, 10:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Short

Question Sovereign electrical update / question

Well, I finally got a chance to work on the Airstream today. With the battery hooked up and connections / grounds cleaned, all the ceiling lights now work, along with the stove vent fan. The electrical outlets, A/C and fridge have already been working fine on city power only. The control panel lights up now, with the battery indicator working, but the tank levels don't move (maybe because they're empty?) So far, we have success. Now to my unresolved problem.

The toilet still does not work. The shower, bathroom & kitchen sinks all have water and work fine. As I mentioned before, the trailer is hooked to city power and water. Pushing down either foot lever does nothing, and the small spray hose next to the toilet does nothing either. There is a switch on the control panel that says 'water pump' which is off. When I turn it to the on position, it makes an awful noise, and I can see the pump shaft working, but the toilet and hose still do not work. The other faucets work fine with the pump in the off position.

Are there any handles or levers I should be turning? There are a couple of red handles under the sink, but as the faucet there seems to be working, I didn't touch them. There are also two red handled valves at the back of the trailer in the rear outside compartment, where the dump valves are located. Turning the red handles just lets water come out of a small hose hanging out of the bottom of the trailer and the pressure drops at the gauge near the handles, returning to normal when the valves are closed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
John-Boy

1975 31' Sovereign
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 'Laramie', HEMI
krowsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:34 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

flush enable

my 72 overlander has a shut-off valve for the toilet at the water heater. the valve is accessed inside the cabinet adjacent the toilet. took me a while to find it, humiliating.

emanon
emanon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
1 Rivet Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon25
my 72 overlander has a shut-off valve for the toilet at the water heater. the valve is accessed inside the cabinet adjacent the toilet. took me a while to find it, humiliating.

emanon
Great tip Emanon, thanks. I'll try that tomorrow, and see if it works. Of course if it works, I'll deny you told me, and claim all the glory myself. (just joking)

John-Boy

1975 31' Sovereign
Old 09-06-2004, 08:18 PM   #4
1 Rivet Short

Hey Emanon,

It wasn't the valve, but your suggestion and location info lead me straight to the problem, thanks!!! I checked the valve in the small cabinet next to the toilet. The valve was open, so I started looking around. The water heater had been replaced before I bought the Airstream and I noticed there was a fitting with a cap on it next to the valve. Near the capped fitting was an unconnected hose. Let's see...... a capped fitting, an unconnected hose and a toilet that doesn't work. I know there's a pattern here if I could just see it. Hmmmmm, fitting, hose, toilet, fitting, hose.....hey wait a minute! What if I connect the hose to the fitting and see if the toilet works! Connecting said hose to previously mentioned fitting and all is right with the world again. Needless to say, if NASA needs another rocket scientist, I'm their man!

John-Boy

1975 31' Sovereign
Old 09-06-2004, 08:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

push the pedal & whoosh

hey great. mine is all soldered copper pipe so perhaps your h20 heater was changed.

good luck!

emanon
emanon25 is offline   Reply With Quote