Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
What tbashin said. My prior AS (2014 Serenity) and current 2015 Classic runs all 110V accessories hooked up to shore power and battery switch in the “store” position. I believe the 12V needed for the thermostat, lights, refrigerator, etc. comes from the power distribution control panel. The batteries should be isolated with the battery switch in the “store” position with only propane and carbon monoxide detectors drawing power from them.
Correction. My Classic does not isolate the batteries when the battery switch is in the store position. I just checked it and the batteries' voltage has not dropped (13.7V) after three weeks hooked up to shore power with the switch in the store position. I think my Serenity fully disconnected because it had factory solar. I plan to change my Parallax 5355 converter to a Progressive Dynamic 9260CV converter. Until then, I have disconnected from shore power and attached a battery maintainer.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #22
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Correction. My Classic does not isolate the batteries when the battery switch is in the store position. I just checked it and the batteries' voltage has not dropped (13.7V) after three weeks hooked up to shore power with the switch in the store position. ...
If you are reading 13.7V across the battery terminals you are reading the charging current from the converter/charger not the battery itself.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
The reading is at the Sea Level monitor which is the same as at the battery terminals. Regardless, the point is the converter was charging the battery in the "Store" mode. After disconnecting from shore power the Sea Level monitor read 11.2V two days later after which I connected the battery maintainer.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #24
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
The reading is at the Sea Level monitor which is the same as at the battery terminals. Regardless, the point is the converter was charging the battery in the "Store" mode. After disconnecting from shore power the Sea Level monitor read 11.2V two days later after which I connected the battery maintainer.
If your reading 13.7V at the Sea Level while on Shore power, even in ,Store, you are seeing the converter/charger current. If you disconnect from shore power you will still see 13.7V for one to two hours. You need to wait and once the charge of the batteries stabilize you will see the actual voltage. If you are seeing 11.2V your batteries are dead.