Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Estero , Florida
No shore power unless hooked to truck

All,

HELP!! We are heading out on vacation in less than 10 days. We went over to our AS - 2016 Intl 27FB, opened the door and no power on at all. The In UseStore button dead, no lights, no AC, no nothing.

The whole time it was plugged into the power source at our storage unit. 30amps and light was blue at the power connect on the AS and green at the plug. All breakers and fuses are fine.

We plug the tow cable into our truck, and viola! The lights, AC, everything works. After 10 minutes, made sure the battery was set to "In Use" un plug the truck cable, and slowly things fail, no AC, no lights, no nothing again.

Interesting that when it was working while plugged into the truck when I hit "Store" on the battery switch, everything went off?

Solutions????? Does a dead battery kill the entire circuit?
KariRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Your coach batteries are dead....when connected to your TV it's battery supplied the power for the lights etc.

AC= current or air conditioner?

The umbilical to the TV has nothing to do with alternating current,AC.
If you have no AC, you have a converter or AC supply problem.
Plug into a working shore power supply and ck/reset all breakers, with the umbilical connected.

Were you plugged into the TV and shore power at the same time?

Good Luck...

Bob
Old 11-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Estero , Florida
Thanks for the quick response. The unit is plugged into shore line power, and the Air conditioner, does not run, lights are dim, all breakers reset. I leave it plugged into the shore line electrical and then hook up the tow vehicle connection and everything inside works like new. No issues at all, Air conditioner runs, fridge runs on the Auto mode.

Plugged a charger into the batteries ( which worked from the outside 110 plug on the trailer) and it is showing that the battery is charging. The inisde volt meter is at 8.8
Old 11-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariRich View Post
Thanks for the quick response. The unit is plugged into shore line power, and the Air conditioner, does not run, lights are dim, all breakers reset. I leave it plugged into the shore line electrical and then hook up the tow vehicle connection and everything inside works like new. No issues at all, Air conditioner runs, fridge runs on the Auto mode.

Plugged a charger into the batteries ( which worked from the outside 110 plug on the trailer) and it is showing that the battery is charging. The inisde volt meter is at 8.8
Your batteries should be over 12V. Your's are completely depleted.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:

If the battery charger is working from the outside 110 receptacle then the converter is working on the 110AC side, but not charging your house batteries.

8.8v with the external charger connected is not enough, should be at least 14.2v

You may have had surge or brown out. Have the storage shore power & converter tested.

Take the batts out, charge for at least 24hrs, let sit 2hrs & test. NAPA or local Auto parts store should be able to do it.

Bob
Old 11-06-2017, 03:40 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Estero , Florida
So dead batteries impact shore power?

So what you are saying is that the batteries being dead will impact the AC power inside for the AIr Conditioning running?
Old 11-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Yep, the AC's need a 12 volt supply as well to run.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
8.8 is essentially a dead batter for AS purposes. If they are new, as Robert suggested pull them and put on a real charger and see if they come back. If they do, I am guessing your converted is bad and not charging.

Rather than secure the same converted I'd spend, and have, a little money and buy one recommended by Randy at Bestconverter.com.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
So what you are saying is that the batteries being dead will impact the AC power inside for the AIr Conditioning running?
Yes.....BUT.
Modern converters will supply 120v & 12v with the batteries removed.
All systems should work properly when plugged into shore power with the use/store switch in the 'use' mode.

Confirmed today on our Classic....12v to all systems with no batteries. 14.4v on the monitor.

Bob
Old 11-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If you put it into the "Store" position while it was stored the batteries were not being charged. I would buy new batteries at this point.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Estero , Florida
So the batteries are critical even when plugged into a shore line. I thought that you could run everything without batteries in. Thanks again!
Old 11-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
So the batteries are critical even when plugged into a shore line. I thought that you could run everything without batteries in. Thanks again!
You can.
I just confirmed that this morning, two posts up.
As long as the use/store is in the use mode, the 12v system is powered.

Bob
Old 11-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
On my trailer that sits. I disconnect the batteries each spring when I leave. Last year we we used the trailer for a month before I remembered that I had not reconnected the batteries.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #14
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Yes, the AC is controlled by the wall thermostat in your coach and the thermostat needs 12 volt power to function. This also applies to your refrigerator on propane and the furnace.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #15

2017 27' International
Agoura Hills , California
This happened to us and less the breaker is tripped, the converter went bad. If you don't hear the converter running when this would further confirm the converter is bad. Without the converter, the batteries will drain and nothing will run. Solar and hooking to your tow vehicle will charge batteries directly and do not need the converter. This is why after ten minutes or so you have enough battery power to run some items.
jblitvack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aiken , South Carolina
Your house batteries are dead, but probably dead because your converter has failed. Most AS systems (HVAC, fridge, entertainment) require a full 12v to operate.
awkirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
My 1976 AS runs everything from shore power with no battery installed and no TV connected.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
What tbashin said. My prior AS (2014 Serenity) and current 2015 Classic runs all 110V accessories hooked up to shore power and battery switch in the “store” position. I believe the 12V needed for the thermostat, lights, refrigerator, etc. comes from the power distribution control panel. The batteries should be isolated with the battery switch in the “store” position with only propane and carbon monoxide detectors drawing power from them.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
My 1976 AS runs everything from shore power with no battery installed and no TV connected.
Completely different electrics/system in the past 40 yrs. Not a valid comparison.
quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietguy View Post
Completely different electrics/system in the past 40 yrs. Not a valid comparison.
Again.... it is valid with our Classic...if use/store is in the USE mode the 12v system is live when on shore power with NO batteries.

Bob