Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Edmonds , Washington
Making running lights blink with turn signals

This may be an obvious "no", but I figured I'd throw it out there. I'm rebuilding a '65 Overlander, and I installed six LED yellow running lights on both sides. For the sake of safety, I think it would be great if the running lights blinked with the turn signals, but were also on with running lights (which would be wired to the head light switch if I'm following the wiring guides right). Does any one know if it would be possible to have the running lights be both blinkers and running lights? I guess it would be:

If headlights on -> running lights on
If turn signal activated -> running lights flash with turn signal

If headlights off -> running lights off
FullStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
You would need two filament bulb set up like a rear tail light/brake light and wire it that way. You may need to upgrade the flasher to handle the extra amps for all those lights.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Easy way is to add a relay on each side with the coil connected to the turn signal. The normally closed contact and common would be wired in series to the running lights on that same side.

What this would do is when the turn signal comes in, the running lights would go off. Turn signal off, running lights on. It works 'backwards' to the turn signal but would get attention. No heavy duty flasher required.

However, check state regulations for legality of this setup. I've seen it on some U-Haul trailers and tow dollies.

Find a place to put the relay and a socket for it that's easy to access. Relays do go bad...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Ahh there is a simple way ,

Run two wires one from a tail light the other from the stop/signal light , repeat for the other side.

First isolate the running light ground from the body.

The running light would be feed from the tail light and grounded through the stop/signal light filament instead of being grounded by the body and the signal will be grounded by the tail light filament.

This will only work with incandescent bulbs, and with only one light on the circuit.

As you step on the brakes or turn signal with the running lights OFF the connected lamp will light .

As you step on the brakes or turn signal with the running lights ON the connected lamp will go off.

You can run LED's on all the other running lights but the stop/turn light and one running light have to be incandescent.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I believe this would be an open invitation to visit with Officers all over this great country. A peek at FMVSS would probably clarify that for you.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I believe this would be an open invitation to visit with Officers all over this great country. A peek at FMVSS would probably clarify that for you.
Not a problem The OEM's have been doing this since the introduction of side marker lights back in 1968.

WBCCI #6269

Old 04-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well he said "running lights"....that includes the upper 3 rear and the two upper fronts.

If OP is just talking about the REAR lower corner marker only on the trailer, he might be OK. FMVSS should be checked.

I don't think that having all three on the lower sides or having ANY of the upper roof clearance lights flash is legal.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Well he said "running lights"....that includes the upper 3 rear and the two upper fronts.

If OP is just talking about the REAR lower corner marker only on the trailer, he might be OK. FMVSS should be checked.

I don't think that having all three on the lower sides or having ANY of the upper roof clearance lights flash is legal.
I think you missed the part that he added 6 side running lights and that was what he wanted to flash.

WBCCI #6269

Old 04-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Edmonds , Washington
I'm starting completely from scratch, so I'm not really constrained by what was original to the trailer. Currently I'm looking at six yellow running lights on each side (upper and lower near front, middle, and back), two brake lights, license plate light, and a few LED lamps for back up lights (one in each wheel well, and two on the back bumper). I'm new to this, so I appreciate all of the feedback!
FullStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Have fun with your build

WBCCI #6269

Old 04-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Running lights are different than marker lights. Running lights are generally on the rear, marker lights are front, middle and rear. Either way, it might look neat. Peace,Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Running lights are different than marker lights. Running lights are generally on the rear, marker lights are front, middle and rear. Either way, it might look neat. Peace,Jim
Bingo, and they are often referred to as "corner markers", not top markers or middle side markers.

I'm just sayin', check the requirements and potential restrictions. Even then, it wouldn't be the first time an officer uses something he may not know about to use as probable cause and pull you over....and not the first time tickets are written for legal things (like when projector and LED headlights came out)

Back to my first post....it's an invitation to converse with local law enforcement.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Without knowing anything about the legality, it seems like a great idea. Kind of like the newer vehicles that have turn signals built into their mirrors.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I doubt highly you'd be stopped. And I'm wondering if he meant the lower corner markers, forward and aft. I've wondered the same thing. One thing I am doing, when I get around to wiring it up to my LED tails, is a flashing stop module that they sell for Motorcycles. It will flash the LED taillights when braking.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would suggest rear corner markers only on the trailer...low, on the same level as the taillights...give or take. I wouldn't do the front trailer corners.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Providence Village , Texas
We are adding a sequencer to the rear lights - so the three run in succession on turning.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
If it were possible (and it really isn't without some rewiring), I wouldn't mind making the side marker lights blink with the turn signals. I'm pretty certain that 'extra' blinker on the side of my car has saved me from a few accidents. (My understanding is that on cars, the side repeater turn signal is not required in the US, but is required in Europe. So, cars that are built and sold in Europe usually have them in the US as well.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullStop View Post
This may be an obvious "no", but I figured I'd throw it out there. I'm rebuilding a '65 Overlander, and I installed six LED yellow running lights on both sides. For the sake of safety, I think it would be great if the running lights blinked with the turn signals, but were also on with running lights (which would be wired to the head light switch if I'm following the wiring guides right). Does any one know if it would be possible to have the running lights be both blinkers and running lights? I guess it would be:

If headlights on -> running lights on

If headlights off -> running lights off
With the running lights flashing with the signal lights flashing, how does one know where the trailer is going. The comment is not specific to direction, left or right.??

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Laie , Hawaii
I really like the sequencer idea. The 'motion' makes turn signals very clear. Slow flashers can be confusing to drivers who don't always instantly catch on that the turn signal is activated.

Besides, sequential lights are just plain cool. I first saw them on a '67 Cougar when I was a kid. Thought they were the coolest thing ever. Or maybe it's just because I grew up in Las Vegas

There is another product--electroluminescent wire. Usually only 1mm thick plastic encased wire available in various colors. It runs on alternating current (uses an adapter for DC) and consumes very little electricity. They have a lifespan of maybe 100,000 hours, last I checked. Very cool looking and could perhaps be used creatively so as not to violate any laws.
Electroluminescent wire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

marc
Sharkboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboards View Post
I really like the sequencer idea.

Besides, sequential lights are just plain cool. I first saw them on a '67 Cougar when I was a kid. Thought they were the coolest thing ever. Or maybe it's just because I grew up in Las Vegas
marc
Gee Marc how did you miss them on the '65 T-birds ?

WBCCI #6269