Old 06-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Not to be mean or technical here, but don't say ground is ground beyond this discussion.

Ground is not ground, there can be a potential difference in ground, that is why it is always best, to ground all the same spot especially for highly technical devices.
You are right. In this application, I would also run a pair of wires to any device I was installing a tie into a common point such as bus bars.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I hope someone from England chimes in using the term "earth" just to add to the semantics discussion.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
FWIW, I did extensive rewiring in our 2009 FC. From this I can tell you that Airstream direct wires all 12V DC devices back to the ground bus. They also install a ground post on each major section of the body to which they run a 10 gauge 12V ground wire (white insulation).

So I would follow Lewster's advice above and ground thru wiring. Yes, the frame and its sub components are grounded but Airstream, over the years, has found it cheaper, in fielding customer warranty claims, to invest in ground wires instead of relying on chassis grounds.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Cool All other grounds go to the fram of the rig so U can do the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackP View Post
I've decided to install two 12v USB outlets to our '72 Overlander. I have available slots in my DC distribution box and will run new wiring from the outlets to the DC distribution box.

My question is, should I run the ground all the way back to the ground bus on the DC distribution box or ground the outlet to the chassis near the installation location of the USB outlets?

Thanks.

Jack
All grounds go the the chassis so U can do the same and or the body.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
[QUOTE=John Geisen;1801223]You can now purchase 110V outlets that have two USB ports on the faceplate. Why not consider doing something like that. Clean easy installation. Simply replace your outlet. Just a thought unless I've missed something.[/QUOT

USB ports that are part of AC outlets convert the AC to DC to power the USB ports. This is ok when hooked up to shore power. But if you are not on shore power, it is a very inefficient use of your inverter. Using 12 volts DC that is reduced to 5 volts DC is a much more efficient use of power.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Not to be mean or technical here, but don't say ground is ground beyond this discussion.

Ground is not ground, there can be a potential difference in ground, that is why it is always best, to ground all the same spot especially for highly technical devices.
Never assume ground is ground. I'm glad others see the value of actually running a complete circuit. I get even more anal by insisting upon a star configuration for ground and only with stranded wire.

I spent years trying to teach people this. It gets even more fun when you see 4000 volt spikes between ground and common. Good thing trailers only have 12 volts.

The value of good electrical practices should never be under estimated.

Tags
12v