Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Calamity Jane

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Marquette , Michigan
Question Fan Won’t Quit Running? Help!

I’m a newbie. Just pulled in (Marquette, MI) after 4 days of great camping at Quietwoods in Door County, WI and I met a lot of nice Airstreamer owners at a Rally.
So, I shut off the frig and cleaned it out----AND the little fan that is accessible from the outside frig vent WON”T shut off. Yes, I pulled the shore power---it kept running.

Yes, I then stopped the battery power and YES it shut off.

So, my powerless Airstream is sitting in the driveway.

What next? Hmmmmmm...I thought that I would give it a night to think it over.

But is this possibly a SENSOR? Is it time to make a call, schedule an appointment and then haul it 16 miles one way it to a non-Airstream camper/trailer dealer?

It’s a brand new 2012 25’ Flying Cloud. Purchased 5/12 and overnight camping 12-14 nights total.

My Airstream dealer is 5 hours away---

Thanks, folks. You may have already seen this kind of problem and can help me.

Jane
CalamityJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
That fan is running on the batteries. It has a clickon switch that turns it on when the frig condenser reaches a set temperature, a high temperature. I would guess that switch is stuck on.

Any RV dealer should be able to fix it but I would call Jackson Center first and get them to agree to pay the bill before going to a none Airstream dealer

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Calamity Jane

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Marquette , Michigan
Yes, that would make sense, HowieE. The digital display for the frig showed 60---which I thought was WAY too high---so a stuck switch could be the problem. I’ll call my Airstream dealer in the AM and will start the warranty process so that they are in the loop for the Jackson Center contact. Thank you so much. Jane
Old 07-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Jane

I had the same thing happen with our 2006 and this is the thread. If you go down to about the 5th reply, it appears that the fan will run until the sensor decides that it no longer has to cool the refrigerator.... ours usually quits by the time we have towed it to our storage 20 miles from the house after we have shut it down.

hope this helps

Dana

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...fan-83222.html
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Jane

I had the same thing happen with our 2006 and this is the thread. If you go down to about the 5th reply, it appears that the fan will run until the sensor decides that it no longer has to cool the refrigerator.... ours usually quits by the time we have towed it to our storage 20 miles from the house after we have shut it down.

hope this helps

Dana

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...fan-83222.html
There is a 2013 sitting at the lot, plugged in to shore power, with everything turned off. Even the fridge. In the afternoon, the heat from the sun on the fridge side of the trailer will cause that fan to turn on. Even though the fridge is off.
I have asked, and it is normal. If you really feel strongly about it, you can switch the battery disconnect to "off", which will shut off the fan when the trailer is not plugged in to shore power.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
and another

this thread will probably be even more helpful because Lew weighed in on the subject and it's pretty widely accepted hereabouts that he knows what he is doing.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...off-34529.html

hope this helps

posted before i saw Terry's response and he is also well respected around here for his work as well. So now you have a couple of good answers from folks who are smarter than the average bear.

Dana
Old 07-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Calamity Jane

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Marquette , Michigan
Hi Goal15: I will go out and start up both the shore and battery power right now----- and before I head for bed, I will see if it is still running. Glad to hear that it usually quit by the time you have taken it to storage! That’s encouraging! Thanks---Jane
Old 07-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Calamity Jane

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Marquette , Michigan
Thank you ----I am not the Lone Ranger and when Lew checks in, I listen! He has already advised me on solar power. I will let the little fan run itself to oblivion---and will check it tomorrow AM. Thank you, Dana from Texas.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
Calamity Jane

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Marquette , Michigan
THE FAN QUIT RUNNING!

Now, this might not be exciting to some folks, but I am thrilled! Thank you HowieB and Dana and Terry for your help. You all gave me the confidence to just let the little sucker run! I sure was pleased to go outside just a second ago and to NOT hear it running! You were right. I appreciate your experience. Jane
Old 07-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Now you can get a worry-free night's sleep! Always glad to be able to help

Dana
Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Just a quick update on fridge fans and the post from 5 years ago:

I have had several (more than should happen) failures of Stu Snyders' fan kits. Seems that the thermostats fail (generally in the open position) and the fans no longer run.

I have, since that time 5 years ago, seen the need for multiple condenser cooling fans (usually on larger trailers, 5th wheels and especially motor homes) where the fridge unit is mounted either in a slide-out with no thru the roof venting or Airstreams that use a double wall vent system.

Seems that the design of these wall baffles does not allow proper air flow to mitigate the excess heat buildup of the condenser, which causes a degradation of the cooling capabilities of the fridge.

SOLUTION: I am now mounting at least 2 (and up to 4) 90mm high capacity 12VDC fans either on the top wall vent door or under the roof vent covering. These fans draw only 0.2 amps each, are extremely quiet and are most efficient when they draw or pull the air out of the baffle chamber, rather than pushing it out. In most cases (large Norcold 1200 fridges on motor homes) the owners have dropped their fridge settings from 8-9 down to 4-5 and have seen interior temps in the fridge compartment drop as well into the preferred 34-36*F range from as high as 45*F.

I have eliminated the thermostat, as they seem incapable of operating properly for any extended period and are almost always the source of failure. More expensive, adjustable t/stats are available, but most folks prefer the inexpensive manual switch to a $25 t/stat. I have been using a 3 amp fuse in the positive 12VDC feed line and a manual switch that can either be positioned in the fridge compartment or inside the coach.

PM me if you have any questions.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
May I offer my solution? I have had NO "thermostat" problems with this "home improvement". Install a 140* home furnace blower low temp (turn on) switch inside the fridge chimney right up against the refrigerant pipe. Use high temp wires and install the switch inline with the fan.

This lasted 17 years in my old SOB (still worked when sold) and has worked fine for 2 years in my AS. 2007 Classic had no fan...I installed the whole system in mine.

Edit: This is an example....but IIRC, mine is on at 140*, off at 120*

http://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Firepl.../dp/B000IGCBVW

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
My B190 had a temperature switch like dznf0g linked that connected to a fan in the fridge compartment. There also was a switch inside to control the power to the circuit. It took me quite a while to figure out what that switch did, because it wouldn't do anything most of the time, then one time while camping in very hot weather, I heard something running and figured it out. I bypassed the temperature sensor - it was working but I wanted it to come on at lower temperatures too - and just used the switch inside to control the fan manually. (This was an aftermarket install, but it did help quite a bit. Note that B190 didn't have a roof vent for the fridge; just two side vents.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote