Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Round Rock , Texas
2018 Interstate Batteries

It would appear that the batteries on my 2018 Interstate, with 18,000 miles, are discharging faster than normal. When boon docking they are depleting about 15% 20% per hour with only the refrig/freezer turned on. ( everything else shut off). I do know the fridg/freezer draws 4-6 amps per hour, but for the past year ... we could overnight/disconnected for 8-11 hours and wake up to find the battery's only 35-55% depleted. Something has changed. Anyone have a similar experience? My dealer has suggested I have them look at it when I return from our current trip, but wondering if there is something I could check or fix while on the road? What is the life expectancy of the gel batteries in the 2018 Interstate? ( or other Airstream units that use similar batteries ).
DancingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Have the batteries tested. Yours should be under warranty.

Many stories here about "new" batteries that were already damaged at delivery due to neglect and abuse. If they check out, then it's a hunt for an unseen battery draw.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #3

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Have the batteries tested. Yours should be under warranty.

Many stories here about "new" batteries that were already damaged at delivery due to neglect and abuse. If they check out, then it's a hunt for an unseen battery draw.

Good luck.
Was at a reputable RV dealer a while ago and as a whim I checked the battery level of all the trailers I went in. All were at 11 volts or lower with the lowest at 9.5 volts.
Hmmm.

Should have checked mine before I bought, could explain why my first set lasted just under a year
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingBear View Post
It would appear that the batteries on my 2018 Interstate, with 18,000 miles, are discharging faster than normal. When boon docking they are depleting about 15% 20% per hour with only the refrig/freezer turned on. ( everything else shut off). I do know the fridg/freezer draws 4-6 amps per hour, but for the past year ... we could overnight/disconnected for 8-11 hours and wake up to find the battery's only 35-55% depleted. Something has changed. Anyone have a similar experience? My dealer has suggested I have them look at it when I return from our current trip, but wondering if there is something I could check or fix while on the road? What is the life expectancy of the gel batteries in the 2018 Interstate? ( or other Airstream units that use similar batteries ).
Hi DancingBear,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 09-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
2018 Interstate Batteries

i have taken your advice and sent a note to both Airstream Technical Support and Customer Support. It's been five day's and have not received a reply to either request. Is this common?

Bottom line, i continue to look for guidance on why the original batteries appear to need replacement after only 13 months. Also, based on information from my Interstate instructional materials - have not attempted to "equalize" the batteries as they are GEL type and should not be equalized? Yet, my dealer says they do it all the time.

Additionally, I'm not clear why Airstream provides GEL batteries when Lithium Ion are recommended (by many) and have 5yr vs 1yr warranty?

Frustrated ...
Old 09-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
i have taken your advice and sent a note to both Airstream Technical Support and Customer Support. It's been five day's and have not received a reply to either request. Is this common?

Bottom line, i continue to look for guidance on why the original batteries appear to need replacement after only 13 months. Also, based on information from my Interstate instructional materials - have not attempted to "equalize" the batteries as they are GEL type and should not be equalized? Yet, my dealer says they do it all the time.

Additionally, I'm not clear why Airstream provides GEL batteries when Lithium Ion are recommended (by many) and have 5yr vs 1yr warranty?

Frustrated ...
Hi there,

Please send us a private message with your information so that we can pass it on as well. Thank you.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
2018 Interstate Batteries - Conclusion

To close out this thread ... it was confirmed that my original Airstream supplied AGM batteries ( after 13 months ) are unfortunately out of warranty.

After considerable research - I have replaced them with Lithium Ion batteries ( $1K each) and hopeful that they will allow me to boon dock overnight ( with the refrigerator / freezer operational ) without fear of depleting the useful power capacity from my batteries.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
2018 Interstate Batteries - Conclusion ( Final Updated )

If anyone is interested - the Dealer and I were unsuccessful with the Lithium Batteries for 2018 Interstate. Long story, but short summary is that the Interstate's systems/monitors do not appear to support Lithium Ion batteries.

My dealer was able to return the two Lithium Ion batteries and install 4 new AGM batteries. This should provide ample power for boon docking overnight with the refrigerator/freezer operational.

Airstream, for the 2019 Interstate, addressed the issue by including 4 AGM batteries ( w/ Auto Start ) as a standard feature.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:

Frustrated ...
My original 1st Interstate batteries lasted 5 years...and were used hard.....replaced with the same
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:33 PM   #10

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
BAKERSFIELD , CA
2018 Interstate Engine battery replaced

Just had my engine battery replace this morning on my 2018 Interstate and it won’t show a reading on main home screen. Everything seems to be working fine. Is there a reset I need to do when the engine battery is replaced?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2458.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	362403  
mhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Menlo Park , California
I just purchased AI 19 TB 2020 and have had the same issue. within 5 hours I am out of AGM capacity (at 50%) with the Master power switch off! With the refrigerator on this is 2-3 hours. Do I have an AGM battery issue? Its probably likely the dealer let them drop below 50% sitting in the lot. Should I replace with Lithium? Thoughts?
csb333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Did you charge interstate batteries constantly? My solar panel charges my battery everyday.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:47 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Menlo Park , California
I have been leaving the coach plugged in. But once I unplug I have 2-3 hours without sun. In direct sun I can last longer with just the refrig running.
csb333 is offline   Reply With Quote