Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #29
Rivet Master
 
TBRich's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,483
Images: 64
The IOTA DLS-55/IQ4 is the converter we will also get if/when we start to have trouble with the original Paralax...it's kind of like waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's a far better converter and it is a great 3-stage charger that deep cycle Lifeline batteries like... From what I understand it's a fairly straightforward replacement. Good luck. Please post your experience doing the work yourself...and good luck!
__________________

__________________
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #30
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,269
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Not envious anymore!

Hi, having an Airstream travel trailer and a Yamaha 2400 portable generator, I was envious of the newer trailers with the generator plug on the front of the trailer, but not now. I will just run my existing shore power cord from the rear to where ever I decide to put my generator.
__________________

__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member
 
StanandLynn's Avatar
 
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cloudland , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, having an Airstream travel trailer and a Yamaha 2400 portable generator, I was envious of the newer trailers with the generator plug on the front of the trailer, but not now. I will just run my existing shore power cord from the rear to where ever I decide to put my generator.
I was envious too, and did enjoy it for a while as I have a couple of Hondas that I like to keep in the bed of the truck while we're traveling. I now have the ATS by-passed and hooked to the "generator plug" on the front because the white wire on the main plug has no conductivity (must be a loose connection). This is in addition to the failed ATS along with a host of other problems we have had including complete failure of the Dometic heat pump. It had to be replaced after our first outing.

I'm really not ready to swear off on Airstream or anything. In fact, we love this trailer. It's our fourth one and our favorite by far. I'm planning a trip later this summer to Jackson Center to have them correct the ATS and other warranty issues. I certainly hope that they find a fix before I go. I'm seriously considering the Iota/Progressive Dynamics upgrade.
__________________
Stan and Lynn Lemons
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #32
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up Worth a try...

Stan,

Consider approaching JC with a component up-grade. If you supply the parts they may be willing to put the labor under your warranty.

It's worth a try....especially with all the chatter here on the ATS/Converter problems.

Keep us posted...we may be making some progress, lets hope so.

"Airstream....kicking & screaming into the new millennium."

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 104
Images: 3
[QUOTE=StanandLynn;1170429]This is in addition to the failed ATS along with a host of other problems we have had including complete failure of the Dometic heat pump. It had to be replaced after our first outing./QUOTE]

I have a dead ATS and a defective non-cooling when it is hot Dometic H/P same as you, Don and others here. Given how small the sampling group is on this forum this is a very high statistical failure rate. What a shame!!!!

I do not have the forum expertise but it might be time to start a 2012 issues poll where everyone can list their problems. Perhaps if we approach the factory as a whole we can effect some engineering changes. This is to the point that I am really getting despondent about the whole thing. Why fight when I can just spend the money and take the time to correct all the issues myself, because perhaps A/S is counting on just that. This could only be perpetrated on consumers with a product as iconic as the Airstream. Once you dream it and put big money down for it you just live with it. I am also considering finding some of the other general R/V, Travel Trailer and consumer forums to warn others about the issues. I too love the trailer as it has been a dream long coming to own a new one and this is what I get a nightmare of poor quality that is apparently designed into the product from poor decisions/cost cutting at the factory. DID I SAY WHAT A SHAME!!!
__________________
mtntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #34
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,417
Blog Entries: 2
Is there a connection between overloading the switch and the hp failures?Overlading a possibly inadequate switch and a possible resulting low voltage to the hp. Yea I know it is all AS fault. Go for it with your arguments. Jim
__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 104
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Is there a connection between overloading the switch and the hp failures?Overlading a possibly inadequate switch and a possible resulting low voltage to the hp. Yea I know it is all AS fault. Go for it with your arguments. Jim
My A/C failed (wont cool when say above 80 outside) prior to my issue with the ATS. When the ATS fails it opens the circuit just like tripping a breaker. So I think it would be the same. Is it good to have power fail when the AC is running no, but it happens from time to time with bad shore power.
__________________
mtntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member
 
StanandLynn's Avatar
 
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cloudland , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post
My A/C failed (wont cool when say above 80 outside) prior to my issue with the ATS. When the ATS fails it opens the circuit just like tripping a breaker. So I think it would be the same. Is it good to have power fail when the AC is running no, but it happens from time to time with bad shore power.
My AC also went out months prior to the ATS failure.

Quote:
I do not have the forum expertise but it might be time to start a 2012 issues poll where everyone can list their problems. Perhaps if we approach the factory as a whole we can effect some engineering changes. This is to the point that I am really getting despondent about the whole thing. Why fight when I can just spend the money and take the time to correct all the issues myself, because perhaps A/S is counting on just that. This could only be perpetrated on consumers with a product as iconic as the Airstream. Once you dream it and put big money down for it you just live with it. I am also considering finding some of the other general R/V, Travel Trailer and consumer forums to warn others about the issues. I too love the trailer as it has been a dream long coming to own a new one and this is what I get a nightmare of poor quality that is apparently designed into the product from poor decisions/cost cutting at the factory. DID I SAY WHAT A SHAME!!!
I'm with you.
__________________
Stan and Lynn Lemons
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #37
Rivet Master
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post
Hi Don,

There is no way I will take the trailer back out not knowing for sure that it will not fail again, not even if I had new free replacement parts on hand. NO WAY! I did not buy it to fear failures/reliability quite the opposite I thought it was the best in both categories.

..... Too bad the mystique and dreams got in the way of reality and due diligence before I made the purchase.
Don't give up too soon over discouragement ... when we did, it cost us over $12K loss on an SOB just 5 month old. Sometimes patience is your friend. That's why you bought a new AS with a WARRANTY - make them produce for you.
__________________
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #38
Rivet Master
 
urnmor's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,221
Not sure if this will help but recently when I let my son used the AS at Assateague he had problems with the AC. Living close by I was able to go out and check the system to include insuring there was fuel in both Hondas. But I also checked the CCC to include the program settings. I reset them back to zero and the AC along with all of the other appliances ran fine the next five days.
__________________
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 104
Images: 3
I have replaced the Parallax ATS switch with the new PD5110610V and also replaced the cheap single stage Parallax controller with a new DLS55MW/IQ4 and all is now good. $67 for the ATS and $157 for the new controller.

I took the relay apart on the Parallax ATS switch and you can clearly see where the normally closed contact was burned in 2 spots. Mine failed twice before I headed home. The new ATS uses a heavy duty contactor with a potted control circuit not a cheap relay/circuit board.

SHAME ON AIRSTREAM!!!

Two more items now completed on my re-engineer/rebuild list for my new 2012 Airstream.

Soon I’ll have a real Airstream made with quality parts.

I know, I am sorry for my demeanor but after working for 4 hours to replace absolutely bottom of the line cheap-ass components used in a 60K premium product my ire is back up. It just makes me want to scream!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	163318   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	163319  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	163320  
__________________
mtntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member
 
donabston's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Nice job Collimare. After the last two weeks home I'm heading northwest on a long trip. Will be stopping in the Dallas area to hook up with a new converter (3rd). We'll see. Whatever happens I'm going to follow your lead and harden my system, either with a manual switch, or a replacement like yours. So far, Airstream has been great in their help. Rumor is that it is cooler in Montana than Baton Rouge. Giddyup!
__________________
donabston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member
 
Urbanologist's Avatar
 
2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by donabston View Post
Nice job Collimare. After the last two weeks home I'm heading northwest on a long trip. Will be stopping in the Dallas area to hook up with a new converter (3rd). We'll see. Whatever happens I'm going to follow your lead and harden my system, either with a manual switch, or a replacement like yours. So far, Airstream has been great in their help. Rumor is that it is cooler in Montana than Baton Rouge. Giddyup!
I was at JC for 2012 Alumapalooza and was floored by all the service complaints I heard by owners talking about on their newer AS units -- just bowled over by how the bottom line is affecting quality control. Nice people, paying good MONEY, and getting such poor electrical components under the gloss of these pricey icons. One more reason to purchase used -- and hopefully repaired -- AS. It seems the new owner are being treated as beta testers by supporting AS at the retail dealerships. Thor Industries and JC really need to rethink where they are heading this "child" in their lineup. Next, they'll change the exterior look and have a generic RV that performs no better that the other RV's on the road. One might as well have a Evergreen Ever-Lite, if Thor and JC can't perform any better for the customer. AS buyers shouldn't have to upgrade electrical stuff in order to keep their RV powered! At JC, the female audience really got in some good slugs ion the engineering staff about crappy workmanship and placement of items in the galley and general design plans that OBVIOUSLY were designed by men -- without female input. I think they were heard by management. I think!
__________________
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 104
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanologist View Post
One more reason to purchase used -- and hopefully repaired -- AS.
I have only myself to blame for not doing my research before the purchase. I literally drive by Timeless Travel Trailers every day on my to and from work. I should have bought a good used 90's trailer and had them go through it and then build it out exactly the way I wanted it. I am sure it could have been done for way less than 60k+ (as the expenses just keep coming) and been light years better than my new 2012.

I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS PATH TO ANYONE CONSIDERING A NEW AIRSTREAM!!
__________________

__________________
mtntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.