Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1969 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Question 12V fuse panel location on '64 Safari

I have a 22' 1964 Safari. I recently had some lights replaced (1 marker, 1 scare light), and an air conditioner wired and installed. On the trip home, when I turned the TV headlights on, the park lamp fuse kept blowing in my TV (2003 Dakota). With this fuse blown, the park lights, instrument panel lights, marker lights, and tail lights stopped working on TV and AS. I'm assuming the guy has a short in there somewhere.

Anyway, now neither the fridge nor the new A/C will come on. (Running the fridge on AC power, not propane. Have not tried starting on propane yet.) I am assuming that it blew a fuse in the AS as well when the other fuse blew. I have checked the breakers where the shore power comes in and they are not tripped. Is there a 12V fuse panel somewhere I am missing? The A/C and fridge appear to be on the same circuit. When you remove the street side access panel for the fridge, the plug for the A/C is with the plug for the fridge.

I am leaving on a trip TOMORROW, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Your AC should not be plugged into the fridge outlet, if that's what you're saying. There is a dedicated circuit and wire in the ceiling for it.
You have two problems. Something on your 12v circuits is blowing a fuse in the TV, and your AC and refer are not worknig on 110v.
There is no fuse panel, just auto resetting 12v breakers scattered throughout your trailer. These rarely go bad, but it's possible. That wouldn't explain the AC and refer issues anyway.
Check your shore power first, and see how far it's getting: is your outlet that the refer is plugged into hot or not?
On the 12v side it sounds like one of your new lights might be causing a short. check them first for a short to ground. It's a likely cause for what you described.
I hope this helps
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

This may help as well.
Rich
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 07-09-2009(2).pdf (1.61 MB, 123 views)
Old 08-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1969 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
Your AC should not be plugged into the fridge outlet, if that's what you're saying. There is a dedicated circuit and wire in the ceiling for it.
Thanks Rich!

There was not an A/C installed in the trailer when we bought it. I bought a new carrier 15,000 BTU low profile unit and had it installed. I camped for two days after installation to test everything, and it all worked. It is when I brought it back home that it started acting goofy. I do have the trailer plugged into shore power, but my house still has only 20 amp circuits with old screw-in type fuses. It is also connected with a small guage 50' extension cord.

Plugged in a lamp to the fridge outlet with AS connected to shore power, and it has power - lamp comes on.

I am working today, so I am relaying info back and forth to my wife, who is trying various methods. She did try and plug the A/C directly into the extension cord running to the house, then turn on A/C fan only and it came on.

But the A/C is wired to a standard plug and plugged in with the fridge. Can this circuit handle this load? Is this the proper way to wire a new A/C? (I didn't have any problems when connected to 30 amp hookup at the campground).

She tried the same thing with the fridge (plug directly into house extension cord), and she did not hear it come on and start running.

I will definitely look at the new lights for the 12V side of things.

Could it be that my house circuit/cord is too small to handle the A/C current draw? This doesn't explain the fridge though...
Old 08-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1969 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
This may help as well.
Rich

The file was corrupted. Can you re-post? Thanks again!

Tony
Old 08-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

You may need to update your Adobe pdf reader. It opens okay on mine. This is a electrical scematic for '64 safaris.

Can someone else try to open this to verify where the problem lies?

Thanks, Rich
Old 08-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1969 25' Tradewind
Thanks again Rich. It wouldn't open when I tried to open from the link, but I saved it to my computer, and opened from there. Worked that way...

That's great info! Thanks again.

Tony
Old 08-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

You're welcome Shinybean.
There is a wire hidden in the ceiling behind the middle vent for the AC to run from. it goes directly to your breaker box. It's possible that your power is not enough to power the AC, but it would blow a fuse trying to start it. The refer and AC together might be too much for the circuit. That's a lot of draw.
The refer wouldn't make any noise when it's plugged in, so it may be working. Try leaving it plugged in and set to 4 or 5 on the dial for an hour. Then put your hand on the bottom of the freezer to see if it's getting cold.
Some AC's have an internal fuse to protect the compressor motor. You may have blown that out. When it blows it allows the fan to work, but not the compressor. I understand that these fuses are in the AC unit, somewhere under the shroud. Check the literature that came with it.
Good luck,
Rich

Tags
12v