Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Nags Head , North Carolina
Smile We bought an AIRSTREAM!!!!!

My girlfriend an I found a wonderful 1975 Sovereign. I looks like new inside and out. We intend to keep it looking that way. However we would like to change the rear bed layout to the single bed layout from the two singles. I intend to save the pedestals and the night stands. Has anyone tackled this? I know there is the water valve on the left rear to contend with. We are considering a double bed. It will be tight but better than two singles.

Jeff K.
Jeff K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Lots of threads here describing that kind of conversion. You could also just bridge the twins with plywood and fill in the gap or put in a bigger mattress.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Congrats on your new Airstream and welcome to the forum.

Like was said if you do some searching in the Interior Restoration section of the forum you will find information regarding this type of conversion.

Wishing many happy and safe miles and remember it's the journey and not just the destination!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
Did it in an 86. Took it back out after a year. OK. But due to the overhead side cab required a lot of bending. We went to an aluminum recycler to get strong enough alum u channel for the frame . Used 2" u channel about 3/16 in thick with 2*2 wood vertical bracing on each side in 4 places and across the ends the same. Used 1\4 " ply wood to cover sides.hinge the top about 1' from back wall to allow to lift bed for storage underneath .you can get the lift cylinders st any auto parts and build your brackets using your left over u channel. Put braces across as needed for the wt you out on the bed. We cut the corners at an angle to allow us to get around the corners. Bought a temperpedic mattress opened up the fabric cut it to fit and sewed it back up. Worked OK but was difficult to move around for wife. Due to cabinets she did not want to give up so went back to twins. Good luck.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Long Beach , California
We left the two twin beds in place. Removed the nightstand drawer. Then bridged the space between the twins with five planks. The planks are made with 3/16" aluminum Z metal brackets and 3/4" plywood. A commercial storefront contractor bent the Z metal for us. Then we ordered three small custom mattresses(sort of like cushion) for in between the twin mattresses. We use a very cushy down comforter as a mattress topper and, walla!, a super comfy bed. Total cost, $800, mostly because of the custom mattresses.

The whole conversion creates a king size bed/great lounge area. It also lets us change back to twins really easily. We are quite pleased with ourselves.

The con is that it makes the drawers under the beds a pain to get into.
Tomboy is offline   Reply With Quote