Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Greensboro , North Carolina
Good and Bad of 23ft Safari

Looking at a 2007 23ft Safari. I would like to hear the good AND bad from those own or have owned this model A/S before I take the leap.
whg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I have one and love it. Mostly. Here's why:

- One of the easiest Airstreams to tow - short, not a wide body, tandem axles
- Fits into state campground spots where a bigger trailer would not
- Surprising amount of storage space for the 2 of us
- Our L-lounge floor plan has a lot of things we like - feels open, useful counter space atop table-storage credenza, big wardrobe, storage bin in front of couch (for wife's knitting)
- Has had few problems that weren't from accidental neglect (we bought it used) - vinyl floor workmanship problems, wiring came loose for bathroom light
- I don't hear of fellow owners having the early floor rot issues that inflicted some of the 25/27FB models or the 22

Downsides
- I'm sick of making up one of the beds every night. That's because...
- The corner bed is too small for the two of us (not that we are big, but we sleep on a queen at home)
- The bathroom is tiny - we removed the door and use a curtain instead
- Did not come with a rear roof vent fan, which helped a lot

Hope this helps.

Tom
Old 06-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Agree with mutcth's analysis, except that the corner bed works for us even though we are normal size and sleep on a king at home. This is a personal choice and I suggest you spend some time lying in one if you can.

Another big thing to test is how comfortable you are sitting in the dinette for any length of time. We were not, and like mutcth got the L-lounge model which they longer make but with patience can be found used.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
2006 Safari 23 here. All the positives in the first reply. Tows easily fits almost anywhere. We have the L couch model as well, which makes for a comfortable place to relax. I picked up a camp chair style fold up ottoman for relaxing. The fold up table see's only occasional use as we use TV trays that store beside the couch. The corner bed is cozy but doable just don't obsess over making it up perfectly. Large wardrobe is nice, but I would like a couple of drawers for foldables . Plenty of galley storage. Converted all bulbs to led , about 13 of them. . That wasn't too pricey and really helps with battery life. We can go about 4-5 days dry camping on the tanks being conservative showering. Probably longer if using the the outdoor shower.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
We've had our 23' a couple of years now. This is our first travel trailer but I have towed box trailers and boats for a number of years. Still, it was a little scary at first. Then there was the whole issue of understanding everything that goes along with AS and TT ownership.

We've taken 2 long trips so far: 1 month in Florida 2015 then 2 months of Florida and another month of roaming from Florida to Texas and back home 2016. Here's our list:

• Tows great behind my 4Runner. Tandem axles make it very stable
  • Low center of gravity with 14" wheels
  • Length is never a problem when making reservations
  • Kitchen is good sized, lots of storage, nice stove and oven
  • Sink is very large, easy to wash pots and pans
  • Lighting is excellent since converting to LEDs
  • Small on the outside, big on the inside for 2 people.
  • Good use of storage, nice sized closet and under/behind L-Couch storage
  • Separate shower and toilet, nice vanity and storage.
  • No leaks. Had to have a section in the front replaced but the PO must have fixed the leak and didn't dry out the floor. Jackson Center did a pressure and water spray test, found no leaks.
  • 15K BTU A/C will freeze you after it deafens you. That thing puts out some really cold air. Shakedown trip was in mid-summer, 90-95 outside, 73-76 inside.
  • Furnace keeps it toasty warm but you need a small fan to circulate the air better.
  • Nice Zip-Dee awning, full length, lots of shade and rain cover
  • Our 75th edition has the 'mouse fur' wall covering. If you have the wall side of the bed, no cold aluminum wall during the night. It also muffles interior and exterior sounds.

Dislikes:
  • Corner bed is hard to get out of if you're against the outside wall. If one of us gets up the other knows about it. [We've learned how to make it up by not tucking the cover/sheet down the side, we fold it under the top layer.] We have a king-size bed at home and it takes some getting used to this small bed.
  • Rear bed/toilet combination can get stinky sometimes. The vent for the kitchen sink is in the rear storage which is under the bed. [I'm replacing and hope that helps eliminate the smell.]
  • L-Couch; she likes it, I hate it. We're both short and she takes the short L side, sitting between the back cushion with her feet against the table storage box, putting her square with the TV. On the longer side the back cushion is too far back and I have to use pillows so my legs fit over the edge. The arm side has no back support so you can't put your head comfortably on the arm to get the right angle on the TV. The PO had the L-Couch covered in leather, which looks great, but I keep sliding off when trying to get comfortable. I'd rather have a recliner but I'd hate to give up that storage under the couch.
  • Bathroom door is set at an angle. If you're perched on the throne your knee is against the door and feet are against the wall. Narrow entrance into the BR, have to suck in the tummy to get through the door. We prefer the CG bathroom except at night. Used the shower one time each, same reason, too small. It's our storage locker most of the time.
  • Dining table is a royal PITA to set up and once you have it set up there's no room to get around it to get something you forgot. I'd rather use the TV trays and leave the table at home but the wife says no, so we continue to wrestle with it.
  • Black/Gray drain is very low to the ground. Sometimes difficult to connect to ground sewer or to the portable tank.
We are mostly satisfied with our first AS, we've had some great trips, especially to Florida. Eventually, I'd like to move up to a 25 or 27 but we'll have to get a bigger TV first.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote