Old 08-30-2006, 09:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums!

Your comment about all the people are here.... "You Betcha!"

Good luck finding your airstream. There is a good thread on considerations for buying an airstream (use the search tool to find it...) it may give you some other insights you may want to consider!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)

CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by TomR weren't in Saint John w/your AS during first half of August were you...I seem to remember that Tin Can license plate?????

TomR in Northern Minnesota wasn't me.There are a couple of more Tin Hut license plates out there.Years ago,there was a Tin Hut plate on an Airstream from California and there is another Forum member from Texas who also has the same plate.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Originally Posted by TomR
Hi All...what a great site! I was trying to find info on Airstream products, etc on some of the other RV sites and I could not figure out why there were very few responses...that's because everyone is here!

I look forward to learning more about AS and the tow vehicles. I have already read enough...and looked at the AS product web know we would probably look at the "larger" maybe 27'-31'+? I/We have backed away from the Class A and Class C market with the thought of combining your daily driver (a BIG 2500 something...maybe Duramax) with a TT. One less vehicle to manage/maintain...or to worry about if you were no using as much as you hoped!

I will watch and read...and maybe ask an occassional question...Thanks...Tom R
Tom--We did just what you're concidering, using you tow vehicle for a daily driver. We have an 04 Duramax that is our "only car". It's used every day as our personal driver as well as tow vehicle for our 06/31' Classic. This does indeed reduce overall expences, maintance, insurance, etc. One thing you have to concider is transportation needs when this,"only", vehicle is being repaired or serviced. For us this isn't a problem but I can see that for some it could be a concideration.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:32 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Thanks Pieman...when I said only one vehicle to take care of I was comparing to buying a Class A and having another "vehicle" to worry about...particularly if it did not get used for awhile.

My wife and I have two vehicles as we both are self employed and use our vehicles in our work travels. What I struggle with is selling a very nice 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser...which is NOT a good TV...and replacing with a 2500HD Chev Duramax. Would be an easier call if the LC was a bit older.

May have to face up to that...or look for an old but nice used 2500HD Duramax..or 8.1 gas.

Thansk...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:08 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Still looking...

Hi Tom,

We live in Duluth! We purchased our AS this summer from the dealer in Council Bluffs, IA Outdoor Recreation Center RV. They were terrific to deal with. The most professional group of sales people I have dealt with in the trailer biz! Certainly worth a call to see 1) what they have new or Used 2) to see if they have any new (One year old units). It's a bad thing for dealers to have trailers that have birthdays on their lots! We found a new 05 unit this summer and it is a great unit. We hadn't really thought about taking the plunge this year, but couldn't pass this up. Got a really decent price and are very pleased that we did.

We have just returned from a two week trip to Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain Ntl Parks. The trailer exceeded our expectations. Living up here on the shore it's almost hard to justify "leaving" on vacation! so nice in the summer!

Hope you enjoy hunting for your new unit. BTW: We did look at used units as well. The AS community is prettty passionate about caring for their units! I bought new because I was tired fo the constant maintenance required on my very old trailers. (Not AS) The used ones were nice and sure seem to hold their value... Made me all the more comfortable about buying new!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:38 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Thanks you have a salesman name in Council Bluffs that would be worth asking for? Also, what IS a good discount % (from your experience)...particularly on one year old models...lots of 2006s left as the 2007s are arriving. TomR near Two Harbors...where are you relative to you store yours outside?
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:30 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
Originally Posted by moosetags
When I lived and worked in Hallock (NW corner) my boss was in Duluth and I traveled there often. Many fond memories, even in the winter.
Hallock! Man, that aint the end of the world, but it is right next door!
You must have driven through my home town of Grand Rapids MN.

JBK is offline   Reply With Quote