Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Wanabee in Minnesota

Hi All...what a great site! I was trying to find info on Airstream products, etc on some of the other RV sites and I could not figure out why there were very few responses...that's because everyone is here!

I look forward to learning more about AS and the tow vehicles. I have already read enough...and looked at the AS product web site...to know we would probably look at the "larger" maybe 27'-31'+? I/We have backed away from the Class A and Class C market with the thought of combining your daily driver (a BIG 2500 something...maybe Duramax) with a TT. One less vehicle to manage/maintain...or to worry about if you were no using as much as you hoped!

I will watch and read...and maybe ask an occassional question...Thanks...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Hi Tom and welcome to the forums.Glad you found us.Good luck in your search.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Thanks...my wife and I just spent a week in Saint John, NB...my wife's mother was from SJ. Beautiful territory...we wanted to get to Nova Scotia but time would not permit. Do you live there or just visiting? TomR
Old 08-30-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR
Thanks...my wife and I just spent a week in Saint John, NB...my wife's mother was from SJ. Beautiful territory...we wanted to get to Nova Scotia but time would not permit. Do you live there or just visiting? TomR

Hi Tom,
Live here.On the South Shore in Bridgewater,one hour south of Halifax.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 08-30-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Welcome, TomR from Two Harbors! I think we'll be making that North Shore drive from Duluth to Grand Marais in a couple of weeks. We've always stayed there in July-August, so this later time will offer some changes, I imagine. Two Harbors seems like a very nice community with its great bayside hiking trail, light house/museum, and shops. I always think we'll camp there some day, but so far, we travel on north. Enjoy the AS hunting--your Airstream will show up and surprise you soon, we hope! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome Tom from Minnesota. Where is Two Harbors. I lived in Hallock many years ago. This is the place to become an official "Aluminut"
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:53 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
TomR. Welcome. We are transplants from MN and enjoy the Northshore drive. The MN Airstream Park in Clearwater MN seems to have an occasional used AS for sale so it might be worth calling the park office for listings. The right one will come along.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Two Harbors is right on Lake Superior...just NE of Duluth!...winter is coming soon!...TomR in Northern Minnesota
Old 08-30-2006, 07:59 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
When I lived and worked in Hallock (NW corner) my boss was in Duluth and I traveled there often. Many fond memories, even in the winter.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
TomR,
I live just a few minutes from you in Cloquet. As you can see from my avatar I have been bitten by the AS bug quite badly. We currently have 3 AS trailers and use them often. We also own shares in the Minnesota Airstream Park in Clearwater close to St. Cloud. We travel up the shore every year and almost always do our Spring shake down trip at Burlington Bay campground in Two Harbors. If you have any questions or need any assistance please contact me. Welcome aboard. Brad
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:21 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Hi Brad...wow is that shinny! Let me know when you head to Burlington Bay...I just "cruised" through there today to "take inventory" as I call it!...what is your tow vehicle?

TomR in the country outside of Two Harbors...eighty acres...plenty of space for an AS "shelter"!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:28 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
tow vehicle

Tom,
We have a 2002 Chev 2500HD with the Duramax. I also use it as my everyday driver. It just turned 80,000 miles without a problem. We just returned from a 5 week 5900 mile trip and got 15.22 mpg. The power is also great. We have owned 4 AS of all sizes and ages so if you need help deciding which one is for you maybe we can help. Have fun hunting. Brad
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Streamer23...you weren't in Saint John w/your AS during first half of August were you...I seem to remember that Tin Can license plate?????

TomR in Northern Minnesota
Old 08-30-2006, 09:14 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
"Tin Hut"...sorry...I must not have a very GOOG memory!...Tom R
Old 08-30-2006, 09:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums!

Your comment about all the people are here.... "You Betcha!"

Good luck finding your airstream. There is a good thread on considerations for buying an airstream (use the search tool to find it...) it may give you some other insights you may want to consider!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Streamer23...you weren't in Saint John w/your AS during first half of August were you...I seem to remember that Tin Can license plate?????

TomR in Northern Minnesota

TomR...it wasn't me.There are a couple of more Tin Hut license plates out there.Years ago,there was a Tin Hut plate on an Airstream from California and there is another Forum member from Texas who also has the same plate.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 08-31-2006, 09:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Hi All...what a great site! I was trying to find info on Airstream products, etc on some of the other RV sites and I could not figure out why there were very few responses...that's because everyone is here!

I look forward to learning more about AS and the tow vehicles. I have already read enough...and looked at the AS product web site...to know we would probably look at the "larger" maybe 27'-31'+? I/We have backed away from the Class A and Class C market with the thought of combining your daily driver (a BIG 2500 something...maybe Duramax) with a TT. One less vehicle to manage/maintain...or to worry about if you were no using as much as you hoped!

I will watch and read...and maybe ask an occassional question...Thanks...Tom R
Tom--We did just what you're concidering, using you tow vehicle for a daily driver. We have an 04 Duramax that is our "only car". It's used every day as our personal driver as well as tow vehicle for our 06/31' Classic. This does indeed reduce overall expences, maintance, insurance, etc. One thing you have to concider is transportation needs when this,"only", vehicle is being repaired or serviced. For us this isn't a problem but I can see that for some it could be a concideration.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:32 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Thanks Pieman...when I said only one vehicle to take care of I was comparing to buying a Class A and having another "vehicle" to worry about...particularly if it did not get used for awhile.

My wife and I have two vehicles as we both are self employed and use our vehicles in our work travels. What I struggle with is selling a very nice 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser...which is NOT a good TV...and replacing with a 2500HD Chev Duramax. Would be an easier call if the LC was a bit older.

May have to face up to that...or look for an old but nice used 2500HD Duramax..or 8.1 gas.

Thansk...Tom R
Old 08-31-2006, 01:08 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Still looking...

Hi Tom,

We live in Duluth! We purchased our AS this summer from the dealer in Council Bluffs, IA Outdoor Recreation Center RV. They were terrific to deal with. The most professional group of sales people I have dealt with in the trailer biz! Certainly worth a call to see 1) what they have new or Used 2) to see if they have any new (One year old units). It's a bad thing for dealers to have trailers that have birthdays on their lots! We found a new 05 unit this summer and it is a great unit. We hadn't really thought about taking the plunge this year, but couldn't pass this up. Got a really decent price and are very pleased that we did.

We have just returned from a two week trip to Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain Ntl Parks. The trailer exceeded our expectations. Living up here on the shore it's almost hard to justify "leaving" on vacation! so nice in the summer!

Hope you enjoy hunting for your new unit. BTW: We did look at used units as well. The AS community is prettty passionate about caring for their units! I bought new because I was tired fo the constant maintenance required on my very old trailers. (Not AS) The used ones were nice and sure seem to hold their value... Made me all the more comfortable about buying new!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:38 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Thanks Skykingpilot...do you have a salesman name in Council Bluffs that would be worth asking for? Also, what IS a good discount % (from your experience)...particularly on one year old models...lots of 2006s left as the 2007s are arriving. TomR near Two Harbors...where are you relative to Duluth...do you store yours outside?