Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome!

Jawtex-

NEW threads are designed to be challenging to start.. You have to be in a Forum and category, so this one is OK... DOn't worry about hijacking, and do get proficient with "Search" tab above, to find previous posts first.. With several hundred thousand on file, new ones should be considered carefully..

Biggest challenge going into city like DC is storage and tow vehicle.. Finding place with access, power to keep batteries charged, options maybe for water or dumping tanks, and security are all big deals. A large truck (even a CCD will require at least a truck or SUV) is hard to park, potential risk of damage, and challenging for some of the underground garages...

All that said, having a mobile vacation home is a fine plan, if you can manage logistics.. Search here for articles on how long, proper tow vehicle, new v. slightly used v. vintage, etc etc.. You'll find large families happy in little trailers, single travelers cramped in 34' trailers, and everything in between...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Starfire - That's pretty cold...

In answer to your questions, people do live in their Airstreams in cold weather, but it can be tough to leave them alone for periodds when it's cold..

1. The furnace needs to be running on propane to deliver warm air underneath floor and keep plumbing and tanks from freezing... If you left and propane ran out, all heck would freeze up. That's why most drain and shuit off and winterize their units for storage.
2. Electric heater would be comfy for inside, but not address basement heating issues.
3. Water supply would likely have to be disconnected, as hose with water won't work well below about -3 degrees C... Again, extra effort required to plan for when you can fill and drain tanks during warm spell, rather than run on local water faucet...

You could address these with supplemental large propane tank, insulated water pipe inlet with electrical wrap for heat, etc. You might ask some of the residents of Mobile Home park how they address same issues, as they have same kinds of problems living in real cold...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:16 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Jawtex...welcome! I just wanted to offer encouragement about getting around in the forum....when I first started this forum a while back, I thought it was confusing, too...but as I have explored a bit more, it began to make perfect sense and with a little practice and perserverance, it's easier to negotiate...the more I explore the more I'm impressed with its depth and its thoughtful organization. As time moves on I am finding the info and people here worth every bit of frustration I may have had initially...it's a great bunch of folks and there's so much information and willingness to share there that it's almost overwhelming. If you really get lost or don't understand something, just ask...there are no dumb questions here, I've found. Enjoy yourself...and Happy Trails!...TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #164

Currently Looking...
Lake Oswego , Oregon
1966 22 foot Airstream Renovation

Just in the process of having this renovation. Looking for a place to park it near Park City, UT for the ski season. Any ideas on where to post?
Jeffrey B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #165

1995 30' Excella
Crowley , Louisiana
Newbies Forum/Years of Airstream

Hi, our names are Charlie and Diana and we are the PROUD owners of 2 Airstreams....Soverign 94 and Excella 95. We have had the Soveign 21 for 9 years and the Excella 30 for 1 year. We are both retired (60) and looking forward to a lot of traveling, our home base is Crowley, La. and Bay St. Louis, MS.
cwdnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:16 AM   #166
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi Charlie and Diana,
Welcome to the forums. It looks like you may be bringing with you a wealth of experience and knowlegde. Don't be afraid to share - and to ask questions if you have any. Also, photos of your airstreams are always appreciated!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #167
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Morgan City , Louisiana
Hi

Ben & Liz for Morgan City, La. Have 2005 classic 31 ft. and love it, haven't joined club yet but looking forward to it. Work offshore so time is limited to local rallies only.

Ben
bbop_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #168
2 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Hello Everyone

I have been bitten by the camping bug and am interested in an older Airstream. Right now i have a Coleman popup.

Any suggestions on starting out with an older Airstream? I guess a diesel pickup will be best for towing.

Thanks
Thomas
nautiqueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thomas, we too had a Coleman popup. You will LOVE your Airstream when you choose one. Many people on this forum start with or eventually move to a vintage Airstream, for entry cost (they report that updating and maintaining makes up in time for the lower entry costs!) and/or for the ambiance. Others choose new to have everything prime from the beginning and toavoid having to redo or rebuild vintage problelms. However, we and others chose to start mid way. We have a '95, costing much less than a new AS off the dealer's lot and needing little in reconstruction. Spend time here using the search feature and read up as much as you can on old vs new vs decade or so old. You can learn a lot to guide you in your choice. Best wishes! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:43 AM   #170

1978 31' Sovereign
Grantsburg , Wisconsin
Hi to all fellow airstream owners - I actually am looking to sell our 1978 Airstream Sovienger - it would be a great fixer upper - the 8 track still works (without even using a matchbook) and I have a great selection of Elvis and 70/80's tracks.
rbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #171
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrock
Hi to all fellow airstream owners - I actually am looking to sell our 1978 Airstream Sovienger - it would be a great fixer upper - the 8 track still works (without even using a matchbook) and I have a great selection of Elvis and 70/80's tracks.
You could put an ad in the classifieds section of this website (if you haven't already).

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #172
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrock
I now see your trailer in the classifieds.Good luck in your sale.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #173
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
1994 21' Sovereign
Capitola , California
I am new to this forum. We have a 1992 21' Sovereign. We bought it a year ago after camping with Coleman Tent trailers for many years. We have discovered that we were are very lucky to have found our Airstream. There doesn't seem to be very many in good condition available for sale. The Soverign is very cozy. I would like to find an Airstream that is perhaps a bit longer. Our tow vehicle is Jeep Grand Cherokee so cannot tow longer than 28'.
smattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #174

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado

Sidney j here looking to buy a airstream, but i had a stroke 15 years ago. lost the use of my left arm and have a weak left leg. I drive ok looking for every ones opinion as to witch one is the easit to handle. thanks
sidneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #175
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
My DH and I are looking to buy an Airstream too. We are not handy people at all (that, folks, is a serious understatement) and aren't looking for a vintage. We're sticking to the newer stuff but pre-owned. If we love this as much as I think we will, we'll upgrade in a few years. Right now we're looking for small, safe, manageable and relatively maintenance free. Such chickens, lol! We are having fun looking.

Does Airstream make special sheets for their funky beds with the rounded corners? Regular sheets can be tucked in, of course, but I wondered if exact-size sheets were available anywhere.
Muddy Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #176
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Welcome to airforums! Look at the blue bar crossing the page near the top. The third choice from the right says SEARCH. I typed in bed sheets and found a brief discussion about them. (i don't know how to paste the link here) Airstream sheets - $$$, alterations, and garters are viable options. We have the garters and find them do-able.

Good luck with the search for your a/s and be sure to use the forums for Q & A and research before you buy.

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #177

1963 28' Ambassador
fountain green , Utah
how to buffing

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows if there is a video or CD available on buffing techniques. I am buffing my 28' ambassador airstream and wish there was something that showed techniques in the buffing process. I have stripped all the plastic coat and have started using variouse Nuvite compounds but am having problems understanding the actual technique as I seem to have alot of small scratches. Any help would be appreciated. thanks. russ
jrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #178
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
1992 34' Excella
. , Maine
Hello All!

Ok, here is my introduction, lets see if this works.....
I have a 1976 31' Sovereign. It has been a long time coming- I have salivated over this trailer for years until finally buying it off of my father this spring. He in turn bought it off of my father-in law (I convinced him to keep it in the family even thouigh he did not want it) in 2004 who was selling it after it sat for 17 years after the death of my wife's grandparents who purchased it new in '76. Have I lost anyone yet? It is in remakably decent shape for as long as it sat, I hope to improve it as time permits.

Thanks!
Jared129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #179
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Rather Old Newbie

My wife and I have a new 28 ft International Ocean Breeze. We love it. We tow it with a 2007, Toyota Tundra, 5.7L. To date we have been on one rally that we enjoyed a great deal, and are looking forward to future rallies and caravans.
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:37 AM   #180
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Amelia Ct Hse , Virginia
Finally Joined

Hey
After lercking(?) on here for the past six years, I guess it's time to join in. We have a 1965 Safari we bought in 2000 for $1000 and restored with new appliances, pergo floor, upholstery and Carrier 13.5 AC. Have about $6000 in it and a lot of elbow grease. Tow with a 2000 silverado with 5.3. The trailer is mainly set up for Boondocking and I have a 2800 watt yamaha genny for power. We stay mostly at COE's, NPs' and NF. (Golden Age Pass). Haven't been in a private campground in 5 years.
Tried the Wally club and the Vac but they did not work for us. We try to camp at least 10 days/month year around.
nypatnva is offline   Reply With Quote