Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #221
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
DeSoto , Texas
Dreaming to Look

We've recently passed up on a SilverStreak from our neighbor down the street last year. We'd like another shot and now are considering an AS. Want to go in style to family camping trips- save the hikes for father-son/daughter. Great to join and look now. After seminary maybe we join AF or travel and minister where led...in a used AS. jwb
txbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #222
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome txbinks! Good luck with your search, and keep an eye on the classifieds here - the perfect Airstream might be waiting for you.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #223

just to say, hi!

just stumble upon this site from another forum. I posted on the forum for airstream.com for awhile untill it went down I guess. good to know about this site. Thanks,

2003 Airstream Land Yacht 30'
didi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #224
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Welcome didi! You'll find these forums to have MUCH more information than the old Airstream.com forums ever did.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #225
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Orlando , Florida
Just purchased an Airstream

Hi There
My wife and I are looking forward to allot of fun times and a big new learning curve in regards to trailer travel. We have many question about Airstream and our own trailer, that we will be naming in the next week or two. I will be picking it up tomorrow morning and I'm a bit nervous at all the new things I have to remember. So hello and hope all is fine in your part of the world.

Ackatak
Ackatak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #226
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Ariforums, Ackatak...there's a lot of information here to be found...poke around in the subforums and feel free to ask away...folks will be happy to offer their knowledge and opinions...

See you down the road!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #227
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
welcome Ackatac...You'll find the people here as well as the knowledge to be very helpful and complete. I don't think there is anything these folks haven't done or have happen to them. The combined experience is better than the Encyclopedia Brittanica!! Read, learn and enjoy!!! any questions? Feel free and remember the search functions...LOL

Dan
strmstr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #228
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
WE DID IT! We took our Bambi out on its maiden voyage for three days and it was really fun. There was one night of rain and it sure was cozy inside. We couldn't get the fridge to turn on but it was chilly enough outside that everything stayed cold anyway. The camera monitor on the dashboard went on the fritz too so we're having that looked at.

One thing I wondered about was after seeing a few SOB's tires propped up on boards and levelers. Why is that? Is it better for the tires to be up on something because of the axle or... What?
Muddy Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:22 AM   #229
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Waters View Post
One thing I wondered about was after seeing a few SOB's tires propped up on boards and levelers. Why is that? Is it better for the tires to be up on something because of the axle or... What?
I would suggest it is an attempt to level the caravan (Sorry Trailer!). When setting up it is normal, before unhitching, to level off across the axle, Use a spirit level across the front of the 'van or on the floor or similar. Use strips of wood or proprietary brand "wedge" type leveler under the low wheel. Once you are happy with the Axle being level, then apply the brakes, unhitch and level front to back using the jockey wheel in the front. Then set down the corner steadies. Never level on the corner steadies alone, you could twist the chassis.

If you were well off level that could be why the fridge didn't work. Nearly without exception, all fridges need to be level, vertical and horizontal,to work properly.

Hope this helps.

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #230

1973 29' Ambassador
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to travelRN
Ok! I jumped in head first and bought the 3rd airstream I looked at. It seemed in fair shape from what my inexperianced eye could see. My fresh water tank fell out 15 miles down the highway( taking the propane line with it). I'v scince found the univolt missing, the 30 amp power cord cut and I'm just starting to tear it apart. I bought a '73 29" Ambassador. I guess the electical system is where I'll start. Any suggestions and help is greatly apprecated.
travelRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #231
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Use a volunteer inspector

We are so lucky we called a volunteer inspector. He saved the day for us. We bought our caravel 71, posted our story under new members, however if we did not call our inspector we were facing many unknown towing problems, like not removing the wheel, the wrong size ball and too much air in tires. We bought our gal and she was never used for camping, just sat quietly in an airplane hanger and 10 years before in a garage. Wow 20+ years of her life sitting pretty.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #232
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hey... what a great picture of the two of you!

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #233
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
It was our inspector Vlamica who took the photo of our Kodak Airstream moment! He did great!
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #234
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Hi; I just bought my '72 International 27' today and will be remodeling the interior for full time living soon. I'm a custom woodworker and have some pretty crazy ideas for what i'ld like to do to it. I'm sure I'll be around here quite a bit. I look forward to meeting you all. Thanks in advance for any and all help you can offer.
Todd
Old 12-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #235

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Allen , Texas
First time for posting, Have been reading the forum for a couple of years. Wanting to make sure we wanted new or "pre-owned", Finally purchased a new (4/15/08)23' RD Safari SE. Took her on a couple of break in weekenders. Then the big one. 5100 miles, 5 weeks, from Dallas, to Mn., to Mt. and back. Great trip, no problems,(except the convection/microwave stopped working)(exchanged it in Mn.)(same proble, started again once we got home). Thanks to all, for such an informative forum! Still not sure about inserting pictures and avatars?
dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #236
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sammamish , Washington
I understand your nervousness!

After reading your message, I had to laugh and thought, "gee, I thought I was the only person who didn't know much about travel trailering." Like most things, I have learned things over time and also learned from my mistakes (sometimes minor, sometimes major - like turning too sharply around a corner and hitting the side of my Airstream against a wall and doing $16,000 worth of damage!). Have a wonderful time filled with many memories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackatak View Post
Hi There
My wife and I are looking forward to allot of fun times and a big new learning curve in regards to trailer travel. We have many question about Airstream and our own trailer, that we will be naming in the next week or two. I will be picking it up tomorrow morning and I'm a bit nervous at all the new things I have to remember. So hello and hope all is fine in your part of the world.

Ackatak
BarkerNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #237

1994 34' Excella
Wytheville , Virginia
Hello

New to the forums as a registered member, tho i have visited some before.
Wife and i are retired. 30 yr. Goodyear Tire & Rubber for me and 30+ years nursing for her. Bought my 1994 34 ft. Excella in '98 or so. Soon after retirement we traveled ,almost full timen, for about three years. Visited 45 or so states and provinces of Canada. Spent the last 5 yr. here in the mountains of Virginia building a cabin and space for my A/S. About finished the cabin, now ready to do some badly needed maintenance on the A/S.

jerrold

Vita est brevis
jerrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #238
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Missoula , Montana
Hi all, I skipped this part and have already posted a few things here and there. Sorry! I'm new to AS'ing and all the hassles and joys that go with it. Love camping though and have missed it since moving to MT (just too cold at night sometimes) so thought I'd try something new to get my "time away from the world" fix. I recently bought a '68 Sovereign with the expectation that it needs EVERYthing done to it. I've always been mechanically inclined (thank you Dad!) so maybe between the forums and a little work, it'll all come together for me.
See you around,
Lisa
blossmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #239

Bayfield , Colorado
Smile Fond of AS in Durango

Checking around hope to be an owner this year! Like the Land Yachts but always subject to change. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Limited budget...so can't be too picky!
Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #240

Bayfield , Colorado
Sorry, I didn't mean a motor home...looking for a bumper pull unit. Kinda like the White Whales best. Thanks, Loretta
Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote