Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
Fulltimer Since 9/13/2010

2008 27' International CCD FB
Campbell , California
Send a message via Skype™ to carped8ta
Software Gypsy; New Member

OK, here's the plan: Daughter off to college. We sell the house, hit the road in an AS, and travel around the country, without retiring. Combination business and pleasure. See, I work at home now, as an Independent Software Vendor and my customers and prospects are all over the place. I currently do all kinds of things on-line (sales, training, support) but might do even better with my business if I met these people face to face more often.

My wife flies all over the country on short notice, doing her thing.

I would be interested in advice on trailers and especially business-level satellite broadband. I have to up and download huge files, and conduct online meetings regularly.

I like the look of the CCD trailers, all modern and open. I have several computers and a few large screen monitors now, but I could downsize. If you were hitting the road for a year, and wanted to run a small company at the same time, how big a trailer would you want? OTOH, I would like to stay in National Parks. I'm prepared to buy a new rig if necessary. Also a beefy pickup to tow it with.

After doing this for a year or more, we find a place to settle down, buy a new house, park the rig, and it becomes my office.

One final question- am I crazy?
carped8ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Howdy carped8ta -- welcome to the forums!

After about the 3rd week we begin to feel a bit cramped in our 25' FB. For living space, refrigerator size, front-to-back bed orientation -- my favorite Airstream is the 27' FB International (actually is 28' long!). CCD is no longer a term used by the factory -- but International has that decor. Get any air conditioning BTU upgrade you can!

We've spent time in Glacier, Bryce, Zion, Arches & Grand Canyon north rim in the last 10 months. You'll have no trouble fitting into RV campgrounds any of these parks -- they'll frequently have some campgrounds that won't fit RVs at all (eg, the more remote campgrounds in Glacier). But you'll have to do your reservation homework well in advance.

Under the best conditions solar will not provide enough amp hours for much more than bare bones electricity use. You'll surely want to be looking at a large generator if you want to use your air conditioner (eg, Honda 3000i) -- they do get heavy but there are threads about adding accessory fuel tanks, running gensets from the bed of a truck, etc. Phone cards are good for internet browsing but many parks are some distance from towns and cell towers. I'm sure you're looking at satellite dishes.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadband, mobile office