Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Which Mapping Software?

We just did a caravan from southern NH to Canada. I used my old version of Delorme's Map and Go, version 7. It is about 5 years old. While I understand it and can manipulate it to plan my travels, I need to update. I was missing the latest information and did not have any detail on Canada.

Any suggestions? We mostly use this for recreational travel and can interface it with the Garmin GPS in the motorhome.

Should I go for the latest version of Delormes Street Atlas Plus? Any other suggestions?
Is there one that can have preferences set for RV travel to flag low bridges, HZMAT restrictions, weight restrictions?

Thanks for the help.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I was going to recommend the software I have been using for the past 4 years: Rand McNally Streetfinder & Tripmaker Deluxe. It came with a GPS receiver and hooked up to my laptop. But, after a cursory search, the most recent version I could find was a 2004 version. I guess it's time for me to upgrade, too. I thought the software was fantastic. It had every alley and dirt road in my state, even the little 2 acre pond on my property was on it. It also included some Canadian border cities on it. When I checked the Rand McNally site, they are now selling the Delorme software.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We use Garmin's Mapsource "Metroguide" Version #6 which is the latest upgrade. It also shows all the little dirt roads, ponds etc. We download to our EMap and use it in our travels etc. Good luck with your choice.
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 07:52 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
I was going to suggest Microsoft Streets and Trips but then I compared it to Rand McNally Tripmaker and Street Finder. Hmmm. Rand McNally finds Manilla, Ontario, but the MS program doesn't!
I really LIKED RN and am sad we can't upgrade it!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 08-30-2005, 05:38 AM   #5
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback. Great suggestions. I am continuing to research, but think I will stay with Delorme's at the moment. I am going to give the office in Maine a call to talk with a "live" person. I'll let you know what I find out.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:19 AM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Street Atlas 2006

Some improvements, but still missing more streets than it should. For instance, a 4-lane bypass around Poteau, OK that has been open for several years is missing. At least, I was able to draw it in so that my mileage reasonably matches the printout.

Best new feature is an "Avoid" feature similar to that feature in the Microsoft Streets and Trips. The DeLorme avaid is a bit better in that you can draw any shape rather than it being a simple square as in Microsoft.

I have used SA long enough now that the poor interface doesn't bother me much.

Wish I could merge the best features of DeLorme and Microsoft.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
We use Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005. Has easy to use bells and whistles. Found it to be very accurate in mileage, time and cost of a trip!

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote