Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
New to it all....

Greetings, Aluminators!
I am already enjoying the fun and educational subjects of the forum here. Just 48 hours ago I made the final decision, <gulp!>, stopped shopping and laid the check down on my first AS: 1991 29' Excella in very good condition. Now if I only had something to tow with....yes, I borrow my son's Dodge Ram truck to move it here and there, but I have been checking into the new Jeep diesel option as I really love Jeeps and it also has to serve as my everyday vehicle.

I contacted the Akron Reg 4 organizer (forgot his title) for the WCCBI already! Can't wait to get into doing something with the Excella! I have been going to dog shows for obedience and conformation since 1979 -oops, dating myself! I'm a 30 year member of Airedale Terrier Club of America with 150+ titles on Airedales I've bred or owned, study/read German language to improve/maintain, LOVE to read, beginning to write some children's literature for submission, and now....Airstreaming or considering my favorite breed of dog....AIRE-streaming!

Looking forward to learning more....LOTS more....
Nancy and somewhat bemused hubby, Paul.
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

"Fado" sez Hi...

Retired but still loves Stream'n.

Our first PWD was an "air" dog for sure...

Bob
Old 04-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Hi Ya, Bob!

Your PWD sure had some "clearance" there!

When (if) I retire, I'd love to cross the USA and back with the northern loop in the summer and the southern route in the winter to follow the dog shows for a year. Now that entries can be made online with pdf schedules the travelling dog fancier is free from mail boxes.
<sigh>
'Til then, back to work but doing what I love....I run a pet boarding and grooming facility.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
"Bo" our first PWD was the reason we got our first AS back in 1988. We were on the road every weekend as owner/handlers. He was a water trial, conformation and obedience winner. The water was his favorite though.

We sure miss our Cover Dog.

Bob
Old 05-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Big Day -1

Well, the update....
I have been waiting for P&S to finish the "tweaks" and now she's ready!
*The hitch was carefully researched, lots of reading and calling, finally decided upon and ordered. The new ProPride is delivered and awaiting installation tomorrow.
*The brake controller--now there is an interesting tale.
At first it stayed under my radar. I called my Jeep dealership shortly after purchase of the trailer and asked if the factory installed tow package would power and control my trailers brakes...Yup I was told by two different staff in service. I let it go for a few weeks, then checked with a couple of RV dealerships...Nope I was told. You need a brake controller.
*So I bought the Primus IQ brake controller.....now how does one install it?
*Logically, with the factory installed tow package there would be a place to plug in the brake controller if one bought the correct wiring harness for it. Nope.
*Soooooo.....I called the Jeep dealership again and asked if they could hardwire the brake controller. Nope. Actually, it was more like NO WAY NO HOW, and how the delicate on-board computers could be blown by any electric surge from controller.
*Let me get this straight--I have a vehicle rated to pull 6500# with the factory installed tow package but there's NO WAY to install a brake controller? Yup
*I ask at one of the RV dealerships to install one? Nope Not even going to try. I talk to the second RV place. The Good Old Boys there said YUP, no problem-we'll slap it in there for you! Flat rate-$165. No never done one like that before. What brand did you say? What vehicle did you say? Oooookay....back away very slowly.....Call a third, very large and well known dealership at some distance: YUP, we do professional installation-that'll be $800....ouch!
*Back to my research....On the Jeep.com forum I find that guys are hard wiring these things in on their own. I find the official Mopar wiring harness part number for my specific year of Jeep AND I find their step by step installation instructions.
*Back to my dealership--Yup, they can order the part for me but Nope they won't install it for me.....hummmmm
*Finally, I call a different dealership--They seem surprised that I have the part number ready to go. Yup, the part is in stock (just one) and they can hold it for me. Nope we won't install it for you.
*So just what do you recommend? Second dealership: We sub out that type of work to a utility trailer place....OoooooKay, so....
*I pick up the wiring harness at the second dealership, drive to my favorite utility trailer place-toy haulers and such- (I have a little 10' enclosed trailer from them), and present the guys in service with the part and step by step instructions to install plus notes from the Jeep forum. They gather around it, do a little pointing and reading on it, and say Yup , we can install this thing but we can only ball park the time it will take to do it. Never done one like this before....
*My appointment is at 2 pm today. Send any mechanical and electrical blessings and kind thoughts that you can!
1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
Old 05-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Positive vibes duly sent.

Our Airstream dealer lashed up his own loom to fit our Prodigy brake controller, and a great job he did, too. Yours will fit and work fine.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
We now have a brake controller! One more necessary piece of the puzzle assembled. The trailer place was awesome and it looks/functions great....now if I just had an A/S to connect....hummmm.....
Old 05-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Now that it's installed and working properly, time to study the owners manual, look carefully at the install and figure it out for yourself, so if the time ever arises you'll have an idea of what needs to be done.

Learn by DIY...

Bob
Old 05-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Glad to hear it...what do you mean an AS?
2PNPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Airstream = AS
Underblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Welcome to the world of AS (Airstreaming) !!!!

Name:   Brutus.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  8.5 KB

Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hello from Va. Beach, VA.

Used to live in Akron - winter and I were never really good friends so I came to Va. Beach on vacation and never went back except to visit family and friends - and for maple syrup in Burton. Sister still lives there.

Anyway, welcome to acryonym city. I'll try to share a few with you.

AS is of course Airstream

SOB - some other brand or square old box
WD - weight distribution
AC - air conditioning
PP - ProPride hitch
HH - Hensley hitch
TV - Tow Vehicle ... or television... depends on conversation
SS - Sewer Solution, an alternative to the stinky slinky sewer hose... but of course the slinky could have the same initials... its a puzzlement.

and the list goes on and on. Try the "SEARCH" function under Advanced Search and just type in "acronyms"

WELCOME and happy trails.

Have you gone to the Mothership yet? Know where it is? Know about Alumapalooza? And what the heck is a terraport?

What a long strange trip it will be.

Paula
Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underblog View Post
Airstream = AS
Just never ever add an extra "S"......
Old 05-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Oops...I meant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireseneca View Post
....now if I just had an A/S to connect....hummmm.....
I was confused as it looks like you have a 91 29' Excella!
Old 05-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
I technically do but it has not yet followed me home. It's at P&S Helena OH getting a few minor tweaks done and I have yet to tow it.
SO.....I'm running around, buying mirrors, the PP hitch, the brake controller, getting the title transferred, paying the $#@$ tax on it, purchasing the plates....does the list never end? I MIGHT be able to go get it Sunday.....so right now I have all the bills and no A/S sitting in the yard as yet!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Home At Last!

I thought she was ready....but we were delayed.
The fine folks at P&S completed the changes I asked for and tested all systems...to find out that there was a short in the electrical system. Three hours later, they find that a replacement rivet in the rear had hit a wire. So they fixed that and went back to testing system to find that the AC didn't work-kaput! Then the replacement was duly ordered, arrived, and installed. I got the call; she's ready to pick up on Memorial Day!

I headed over (about a two hour drive) and had already planned a return trip on state routes. I didn't want to get out on the turnpike for my first drive out. This is my first RV AND my first AS. My son Tim lives less than a mile from P&S so it was a slice of pie to hook up with just the ball on his Dodge Ram and tow to his driveway--where the ProPride hitch was waiting to be installed to my Jeep Commander.

It was raining off and on but we got it done. I'm glad that I'm familiar with every part and bolt in the hitch as it looks good (later pulled well) but I don't really have it "dialed in" perfectly until I get to some CAT scales. But I'll save that for another post.

I pulled it home late that afternoon and it was smooth sailing! I kept looking in the rear view mirrors to be sure that it was still there. Yup, followed me home just fine. We went from flat land towing to some hills where I live in NE Ohio and that went fine too. The steepest hill is the one I live on and I took it carefully down into the driveway. All A-OK.

Here we are--set up on the yard:
[IMG]http://www.airforums.com/photos/showimage.php?
i=34723&catid=member&imageuser=74907[/IMG]

P6040604 - Photo Gallery
Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #17
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
What a beauty, looks just like new.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Awesome! Congrats on finally getting her home. Looks amazingly clean.