Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
On an Aluminum Diet

1968 20' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
New Owner '68 Globetrotter

Howdy from Houston, Texas. We just purchased a 1968 Globetrotter but are several months, and 2,600 miles from getting it. It will be 'born' sometime this summer and will take about 2 months to get back to Houston.

We will be sure to have lots of questions and wow, has this forum board been informative.

Just wanted to say a warm hello!

Still figuring out how to upload pics, etc. and we really do not feel like we "own" it yet until we get a chance to pick it up. A lifetime of thanks to the wonderful couple who served as our eyes and ears in inspecting the trailer from this forum board and who are helping us do some needed fixes prior to its long journey back home.

Take Care!

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curb Side.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	156883  
ZeeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeroG View Post
Howdy from Houston, Texas. We just purchased a 1968 Globetrotter but are several months, and 2,600 miles from getting it. It will be 'born' sometime this summer and will take about 2 months to get back to Houston.

We will be sure to have lots of questions and wow, has this forum board been informative.

Just wanted to say a warm hello!

Still figuring out how to upload pics, etc. and we really do not feel like we "own" it yet until we get a chance to pick it up. A lifetime of thanks to the wonderful couple who served as our eyes and ears in inspecting the trailer from this forum board and who are helping us do some needed fixes prior to its long journey back home.

Take Care!

Roy
Hi Roy

Welcome to Airstreaming.

Your photo indictes that you should inspect the axle, as it appears the rubber rods have deteriorated.

The following article will help you to check it out.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Owner '68 Globetrotter

Greetings Roy!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreams!

Congratulations on finding your Globetrotter! It is in deed a very attractive coach. It looks very familiar to me . . . I may have seen it at one of the VAC Rallys that I have attended or at one of the WBCCI International Rallys. If it is the coach that I am thinking that it might be, I am sure that it is just as nice inside as it is outside! I am sure the wait will seem to take far longer than it does . . . . I haven't had to wait more than seven days to pickup either of my coaches, so I have no idea how I would have withstood two months!

Enjoy planning your trip to bring your new Globetrotter home!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Congratulations!!! She looks gorgeous! Safe travels and please post more pics!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
That's a nice one!
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Welcome to our group,,,

Real nice looking trailer,, but sorry to say that I would agree with Andy,, That axle is shot unless there is a 1200 lb safe in the middle of the floor..

Don't feel bad,, just a small investment with just 1 axle,, and be well worth the cost later down the trail so you don't beat the rivets all loose..

The one thing and over all the other trailers on the road is the dollar invested will hold it value.. Cant say that for any SOB stick and staple wonder that is over 10 years old..

Got our 72 Overlander just a few months ago for $7k.. Got all the lose ends patched up and working again and have a new set of axles ready to roll under it ASAP... Turned down a offer of $14k last weekend and don't regret it at all.. ( my polish job was worth most of that alone)

If it were me,, I think I would find a way to make that trip a lot sooner,, and why blow off most of this camping season for just some daily duties that could wait a few days..
Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
On an Aluminum Diet

1968 20' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Andy,

Wow, thank you. I would love to be an inland RV, but the RV is currently in Bend, OR and will be heading East; not west. do you have any suggestions of who in Bend area could (a) inspect and, gasp, if necessary (b) install that YOU would trust?

Kind regards,

Roy
Old 04-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
On an Aluminum Diet

1968 20' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Will upload Pics on Monday evening!

Thank you all!

I will upload tons of pics on Monday evening in the gallery section (looks like where I should do that), and post an entry when ready.

Thanks for the heads-up on the axle. The seller was not concerned about the axle, and I had no reason to not trust them, but now I am.

Thanks again,

Roy
Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
On an Aluminum Diet

1968 20' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
ZeeroG's pics of 1968 Globetrotter Uploaded

Dear Colleagues:

Pics have been uploaded; I believe to a gallery section. You can search for ZeeroG to zero in on them (as I am new here, I am not sure of the nuances of how one travels to the gallery from any particular user message).

Enjoy and thanks for the "you need to check this" messages!!!

Wish we could pick her up earlier than late this summer but our jobs dictate otherwise. For now, we stare at her and dream aluminum dreams.

Roy