Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Anaheim , California
Smile New LA Airstreamer

Hi there all,
My colleague sent me the link to this site as I just purchased the new 2008 Safari Sport 17' AIRSTREAM .Have just arrived back from taking it out on its inaugural trip and had a blast.
What an amazing trailer! I cannot get over how much attention it got, both on the road and at the Bolsa Chica State Beach Camping ground I stayed at. I must have had about 10 people come up to me to compliment me on the "awesome trailer". I'm glad that there is a forum such as this for us young newbies to ask questions from those of you with so much more experience.
This is my first trailer and so far things are going well.Only question I have right now concerns the procedure for the grey and sewerage water tanks. Does one add the "enzyme" stuff each time one goes on a trip, or only once a month or so? Should you leave the Fresh water tank filled if you are storing the Safari for a few days before ones next trip or must you empty it each time after your trip and leave it dry?
I look forward to reading all the other threads on here so that I learn more about the practicalities of trailer ownership.
AirStrmFltRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
CONGRATS~
HEARTY WELCOME...
Yes, they will..You are star born..
A good tip for use of your tanks..While camping, keep both shut for a few days as long as the tanks are not overfilling..You want to accumlate water to do it's job of carrying out the waste.When you're ready to dump..Make sure the hose is hooked up.. Then open the black water tank valve first and, when it's emptied..open the grey water valve to "flush" the hose clean, etc. The enzyme is not something you just want to add for waste that you're dumping out every few days.. You'd want to save till you're sure that the water will be in there for awhile. Say, after your finis dumping both tanks, Close off the valves for both holding tanks..Put abt 4 to 5 gallons of water in the black water tank and, put the enzyme in the "john" and flush. While travel on your way back home, the moving process will swish it back and forth, help breakdown whatever might be left in. Then, on your next trip out camping..Do the above procudure all over again. As far as fresh water, I see no problem carrying it around if ur going out every weekend. If you feel the need to sterilize it, just add a very small portion of bleach to a near full tank. Helps kill of any growth or germs? This is just to get you started. Most water supplies are very safe~! We all have certain phobias..lol I even carry some bottle water from home and, have a brite water filter jug.
Again, welcome~!!
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Welcome. If you are interested in meeting some fellow So Cal Airstreamers click on the Cal Streamer Rallys at the bottom of the Portal Page. We'll be in San Clemente in February. Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Welcome aboard.

Ask any question you want here and you'll get a boatload of answers for sure.

You add the enzyme after you empty the black tank. Then put in 4-6 gal. of water in that empty black tank cause as you drive the movement of water and the additives break down the solids. This is really good as you truly don't want to deal with a clog at the valve or in youre hose. (AKA stinky slinky)

On the Portal page you will find threads starting with CalStreamers. This is a group of So Cal peeps that go rallying about every month. It's an informal group and everyone is always invited. Join the party and you'll have a good time and learn all you want about your trailer. If you were amazed at the reaction of one trailer wait til there's twenty. People just stand and gawk.

By the way. We love pictures so please post a couple of your new baby.

See you around the campfire.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Welcome! You're gonna LOVE this forum!

I was just checking out the new Safari Sport Streams and they are REAL SWEET! Lucky YOU....

I hope to see you soon at one of our CalStreamer Rallies or even one of the 4CU ones that are sometimes fairly close. There's one outside of Tucson AZ for the New Year's Weekend...so many to go to and so many friends to make.

I'm just waiting for BamCamper to welcome you too, She's a BLAST!

Debra

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums! Yes, Airstreams are usually a point of intererst in campgrounds...people notice, trust me! We keep ours picked up and neat because people often want to take a peek inside...and it's nice if it's all pretty and clean for them! We all love to show off our little aluminum trailers!

You've gotten good advice on the black and grey water...it's really not as scary as it might seem at first...before long you'll be a pro with it...

Here's our routine...we dump our tanks at the end of our camping trip either as we leave the campground or at another dump station on the way home. We dump the black water first...then dump the grey water, which will help flush out the hose. (If you have a black tank flushing system, you can use that after you've dumped...fill the black tank up and dump it a couple of times...this just helps keep the tank cleaner. Use a grey non-potable water hose for this...reserve your white fresh water hose for just fresh water tank filling.)

Once we are done with the dumping process, have rinsed the hose and closed the valves and replaced all the caps, we put the chemicals down the toilet (which goes to the black tank, of course) with 1 or 2 gals of water... then we are all set for the next trip. You can also add a little chemical down the sink with water once in a while for the grey water tank (which can also develop odors). We also make sure the p-traps in the kitchen, vanity and shower have water in them while we are parked at home to keep whatever ambiant odors there may be in the tanks where they belong...IN the tanks.

We only travel with a full fresh water tank if we know we are not going to be able to get potable water at the campground...water gets heavy fast, so why haul it around if you don't need to? (Same goes for grey and black tanks...dump if there's a facility....why haul it around?) We use our AS a minimum of twice a month, so we leave fresh water in the tank all the time and use a little water purifier to keep it from "growing things"... I tend to leave it least 1/4 full so we don't run dry accicdentally...I think it's better to keep the pipe connections and joints wet, especially in our climate...and in this climate I turn the water on at each faucet periodically just so it doesn't dry out too much. If I feel like the fresh water has been in there too long, I just drain the tank and refill with clean water and purifier and drain a few times. If you do this consistently you should not have problems with bad tasting or smelling fresh water.

One other note...if you are in a camping situation where you have full hookups with a sewer connection, it's OK to remain hooked up to the sewer outlet via the hose, but don't leave the black water tank valve open all the time..."save" the black and grey water tank contents till it's time to dump because the black needs the liquid to carry out the solids, and the grey is good for "rinsing."

If this isn't more than you ever wanted to know about holding tanks, there are many discussions on the forums on this topic...

Once you've done it a few times, it just becomes routine and nothing to fret about.

The key is to ENJOY your Airstream, and it sounds like you are already!

See you down the road...
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Welcome

Your are going to love your new Airstream.....and please join us on a California Streamers rally soon......the people are soooooo welcoming and very knowlegeable about these aluminum homes.....hope to meet you soon, pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Hello and Welcome to the wonderful world of "Stream'n".

Bunch of super people here in the SoCal area. As some have told you above, we're having a rally in January in Temecula and a Notreallyarallyrally in February at San Clemente. Hope to see you at one of them.

Anyway, Welcome aboard and enjoy the trip!

Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

The Safari Sports are just great! we a whole bunch of them on the assembly line in Jackson Center in October. They are cuter than Basset Hound puppies. We haven't seen one on the road yet.

We put a "blue pill" in our black tank after each dump. We usually do 3 or 4 days between black tank dumps. We dump the gray tank daily with showers, etc. We put some white vinegar in both tanks on a regular basis. The guys at JC told us to use it regularly. It helps keep the valves lubricated.

We keep our fresh water tank full or close thereto. It's low weight that helps the trailer ride better, and fresh water is always available.

Good luck with your new baby. You're going to love her.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Every one has given good advice. Not much more to say except wellcome.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Anaheim , California
Hey Thanks all you guys for the great welcome and all the helpfull advice. Definitely going to make a point of getting to at least one of the Rally's you mentioned. One thing that really struck me , being in the campsite last week, was how friendly and outgoing and sincere everyone was. This is something unusual in LA and made a huge impression on me. Looking forward to meeting many of you in the months to come. Off to San Elijo State Beach Park this coming week. If any of you are going to be there, come by and say Hello.
Have a good one!
AirStrmFltRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
You're going to find even more comraderie as you continue to visit this incredibly informative--and entertaining!-- site. We checked out the Sport a couple of weeks ago and were completely charmed...What a sweet unit!
Hope all goes well with sorting out the tank-dumping issue. Judging from your forum moniker, you already know about having those gloves out and ready.
Happy trails!
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirStrmFltRN
...[snip]... Off to San Elijo State Beach Park this coming week. If any of you are going to be there, come by and say Hello.
Have a good one!
Have fun! Let us know how that park is...have friends who say we ought to go there...

Give us a report?!

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote